Per a league source, Elliott return to the Cowboys is unlikely

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don’t really get why anyone would take anything Jerry says seriously at this point.

He’s the GM in name only and is nothing but an attention seeking figurehead at this point. I literally do not take anything he says seriously whatsoever and can’t imagine why anyone would.
Jerry knew what he was doing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Demarcus Murray, hahaha, I guess if you forget his fumble in Green Bay. Walker's biggest claim to fame for us was the trade. I loved Hershel but come on, no way was he better than Zeke in a Cowboys' uniform
Dont change the subject. Murray was a better back and so was Walker. Walker played on terrible teams with a bad oline. What do you think Walker would have done behind Zeke's 2016 line?

2500 total yards?

Zeke just got lucky that his 2016 Oline was all world. As soon as the line started to fade so did Zeke. The line made him look better than he was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re a boss now, you can’t go starting riots LOL….

Seriously he can actually still help a team….if he doesn’t play at all until November.

He has started strong each of the last few years then gets dinged up quickly and it’s over.

Either way, this team does NOT need the distraction, and it also likely means cutting a guy like Malik Davis.
I’m fine cutting a guy like Davis. And I like him.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
yet lazy "reporters" will milk this til the season starts then just change to "will call him as soon as someone gets hurt"

Havic

Reaction score
I still feel there’s a high probability that he’s on the Cowboys roster for week one.
Not week 1 but I could see us with injuries and having him be a late season acquisition

stiletto

Reaction score
He's still got a lot of value for situational use and will get signed.

Right now he likely wants too much money but that will come down and there will be multiple options for him.

22 tds in the last 2 years and 1800 yards is more than enough to warrent a couple year low level deal or at the worst a one year.

You would have to be delusional to not see that he has value still to many of teams...just didn't fit with us at his price, that's all
Not sure anyone is buying it. Zeke was force fed A LOT the last 3-4 years especially in the red zone. He rarely broke anything or scared defenses. Zeke was forced onto the coaching staff because of his idiotic contract. Pollard was clearly better in pretty much every situation. Good luck to Zeke but I think he already got his bag. He did one thing right. He hired a good agent.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m fine cutting a guy like Davis. And I like him.
I can very much see Elliott joining this team mid season, especially if Jones goes down.

I just don’t think he ought to be brought to camp. It really would be a distraction with all the questions that’ll go with it. MM doesn’t need that, especially this year as OC.

Elliott isn’t completely done, he just can only last about six games before enduring a nagging type injury that slows down the slowed down version of him. Maybe that can be stretched out since he won’t be the lead back either way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can very much see Elliott joining this team mid season, especially if Jones goes down.

I just don’t think he ought to be brought to camp. It really would be a distraction with all the questions that’ll go with it. MM doesn’t need that, especially this year as OC.
If he’s back by the beginning of training camp, I honestly don’t see how it would be any sort of a distraction.

Elliott isn’t completely done, he just can only last about six games before enduring a nagging type injury that slows down the slowed down version of him. Maybe that can be stretched out since he won’t be the lead back either way.
I think he’s clearly a rotation back at this point, not a featured guy. As long as he realizes that and accepts the role, I don’t see an issue.

The torch has passed from Zeke to Pollard. If he can accept that - and I think he can and HAS TO - then I think he would be an asset rather than a liability.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Demarcus Murray, hahaha, I guess if you forget his fumble in Green Bay. Walker's biggest claim to fame for us was the trade. I loved Hershel but come on, no way was he better than Zeke in a Cowboys' uniform
I love Zeke but you can't really compare the two. Walker was on a team on decline. He was really our only weapon. Zeke had a playoff team with a great OL.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Use to be back in the day teams had a "never go back" unwritten rule meaning that once a FB player was traded or cut the team almost never wanted to give them another turn on the roster. Modern times are a bit different with salary caps and free agency rules now. But my gut feeling is the Cowboys and Zeke are done.

I think Zeke could get a chance somewhere in the NFL if, if, IF a few things fall in place. First: He must be willing to play for a lot less money than he is use to making. Second: He must convince some team the fire still burns and he wants to give his all. He needs to give the impression he still has something to prove. Third: The new team must really have a big need at RB and think Zeke can fill it. There are a lot of backs floating around looking for work. Competition for a roster spot could be tough.

Big_D

Reaction score
Use to be back in the day teams had a "never go back" unwritten rule meaning that once a FB player was traded or cut the team almost never wanted to give them another turn on the roster. Modern times are a bit different with salary caps and free agency rules now. But my gut feeling is the Cowboys and Zeke are done.

I think Zeke could get a chance somewhere in the NFL if, if, IF a few things fall in place. First: He must be willing to play for a lot less money than he is use to making. Second: He must convince some team the fire still burns and he wants to give his all. He needs to give the impression he still has something to prove. Third: The new team must really have a big need at RB and think Zeke can fill it. There are a lot of backs floating around looking for work. Competition for a roster spot could be tough.
Competition with other teams, not with the Cowboys, some are willing to just hand him a spot. With him here there would be no legit competition for a roster spot or playing time.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That no team has even made an offer to Elliott ought to clue everyone in.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Of course Zeke isn’t coming back. He may, emphasis on “may”, want to sign a one-day contract to retire. But he won’t be lining up in the backfield for the Cowboys again.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The decision was evident when they gave 21 to that one guy who’s name is escaping me.