Perhaps the QB decision was made before last night

CWR

Reaction score
No reason to keep both Grier and Rush.

If Grier is ready for the #2 job, then no upside with Rush.

If Grier can't beat out Rush at this point then he is not worth keeping. He has been in the NFL long enough.

DiNucci has upside which is what you want as the #3 QB.

Unfortunately even if he's secured the back up spot we need him playing. It has to be nearly impossible to assess the offense and the pass catchers when you are throwing garbage at them.

It seems like we have been losing pre-season games forever, due to poor qb play.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure the coaches need the preseason games to determine . I suppose fans do cause they don’t see all of the practices. But practices is where jobs are won and lost.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately even if he's secured the back up spot we need him playing. It has to be nearly impossible to assess the offense and the pass catchers when you are throwing garbage at them.

It seems like we have been losing pre-season games forever, due to poor qb play.
Good point.

Hopefully the groin issue is minimal and they were just being cautious.

He needs to play the next game.

Reactions: CWR

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think the QB position is already settled. Grier has had a pretty good camp, and I think they rested him last night for two reasons.

1. Protect him and that groin because he's already won the job, at least over Rush.

2. Give Rush a chance to showcase himself for other teams.

DiNucci showed a lot of improvement, so I think they're going with Dak, Grier, and DiNucci this year. Nooch was more accurate and made better decisions this game, even with that crazy throwing motion. Pretty strong arm, accurate, and nice rotation on the ball.

I think they play Rush plenty this week, too, out of appreciation so he can try to catch on somewhere (and eat up a lot of those minutes).
Makes sense...

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
If our number 2 qb is any one of these 3 guys and that looks very likely, I don't care who gets the job coz none of them would win game(s) if it mattered.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
For other teams? No one would trade for Rush.
You do realize they can play for other teams if they are cut. Right. They don’t have to be traded. There are about 40 guys trying out for other teams every pre season game.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I haven't been to any of the practices or seen any of the film, but of Grier is not our number two then something is wrong in our front office.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I think the QB position is already settled. Grier has had a pretty good camp, and I think they rested him last night for two reasons.

1. Protect him and that groin because he's already won the job, at least over Rush.

DiNucci showed a lot of improvement, so I think they're going with Dak, Grier, and DiNucci this year. Nooch was more accurate and made better decisions this game, even with that crazy throwing motion. Pretty strong arm, accurate, and nice rotation on the ball.

I think they play Rush plenty this week, too, out of appreciation so he can try to catch on somewhere (and eat up a lot of those minutes).
Granted, Rush wasn't good at all yesterday, let's slow down on kicking him out the door.. We need to see more from Grier and how well he can play with the first team. We've seen Rush perform well in a high-pressure game situation {325yds. / 2 TD's} as he led a 13-play, 75-yard drive in the final minutes for a come from behind victory over Minnesota. At this point I'd be willing to keep both Rush and Grier, because Dinucci is way too inconsistent.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What are you gauging this on?
Grier and DeNucci are career backups, IMO. But Grier is able to process information quicker. He makes quick decisions and has a quick release. DeNucci becomes a wait and see guy a little to often to me.

So I'm gauging these guys off of the little footage I seen last year.

Cmac

Reaction score
Let's be real......Cooper Rush didn't endear himself to no one, outside of family, last night.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

they rested him because they said he has a groin strain from what the announcer said.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hogeboom had a cannon for an arm, Rush not so much.

Maybe I just didn't watch enough of him. Because whenever I watched him play he was throwing up floaters. But that could be due to my limited time watching him.