Personal Request - No more RW vs. ST Threads

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Seriously, every time I see one of these things, I can telegraph it just like any teen movie or chick flick.

I just read seven pages of another one of these threads on ES. Why, exactly, I don't know since I knew how it was going to unfold.

If you are a Cowboy fan, RW is better. If you are a Skins fan, ST is.

If you're a Cowboy fan, ST is a gun-toting troublemaking idiot. If you're a Skins fan, RW is a horse-collaring, no coverage clown.

I hate discussions about who hits harder. Don't show me YouTube videos as they don't really prove who hits harder. To truly know, you'd have to have them hit dummies and see who provides the better punch. Of course, this is stupid and still doesn't tell you who's better.

RW is not the best safety in the league. Neither is ST. Ed Reed is my #1. This could change this season, but I'd take Reed over both right now.

I have my opinion who I'd rather have on my team, but I'll leave that up to you. All I ask is that these threads at least stay on hiatus until after we play them.

And yes, I do see the irony in starting this thread when I stated no new threads.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
The tiebreaker could be that Roy's career will end in the NFl while Taylor will eventually go on to a stellar career in some state's prison league, giving him an oppurtunity to pad his stats.:)

TEK2000

Reaction score
I read the same thread at ES. Its really a beating reading thru all of that because NOT ONE person in that thread provides one bit of intelligent evidence nor do they provide any stats/facts to support their claims.

I got involved with this discussion on another Cowboys forum following my reading of the ES thread... and it prompted me to make the following post:
(I know you probably don't care to see discussion on this subject... but I just wanted to show you that its not ALL just idiotic claims of who is better that are floating around)

Let me preface the following points by saying that, I AM NOT trying to just flat out say that Roy Williams is "BETTER". I am merely bringing up points that SUPPORT this thinking. With ALL HONESTY, I REALLY wish that someone could bring up points to support Sean Taylor. I have not seen all of Sean Taylor's games like I have Roy Williams in order to make a full decision. This is EXACTLY the reason why I am still looking for a person that truly KNOWS Sean Taylors career to bring up GOOD EVIDENCE to indicate the TRUE player that he is... not the "He's the better player" reasons.

My entire intent is a CIVIL, CALM, and INTELLIGENT DISCUSSION on this subject rather than a heated, idiotic argument.

Here is my problem with this argument EVERY TIME I SEE IT. No one from the Skins side of the discussion brings STATS or EVIDENCE to support their claims. And yes, I mean NO ONE... I just finished skimming thru 6 pages of "HE RULES!" on Extremeskins.com pertaining exactly to this argument (Williams vs Taylor).

(Yeah I was on ES.. mostly looking for VIDEO FOOTAGE... bring that up as an attacking point and ur an idiot because you're HERE on a Cowboys forum reading my post). I really hope that ES does not represent the football intelligence of the Commanders nation... everyone that I've ever seen post on there sounds like they are 14 (or younger) and the only football they have ever watched is highlights on ESPN and shows talking about Horse Collaring (as this is their only point against Roy Williams).

First of all, the harder hitting discussion. Roy Williams destroys people that SEE HIM COMING! I do not see this same hitting ability from Sean Taylor. In every highlight video I see of Sean Taylor, all of his big hits come on plays where the reciever never sees Sean Taylor coming, the running back has his back to Taylor, or Taylor comes flying through a whole (and Taylor puts him on his back after driving his feet for a few steps to get leverage).

Roy Williams has put the following players on their back when they saw him coming: Shawn Alexander, Kevin Jones, Ashley Lelie, Todd Pinkston (3 of these players were trying to BLOCK Roy when they got ran slap over)
Example:
royvsjones.gif

Coverage: As my sig states:

"Roy Williams does not deserve all of the criticism he receives for his poor pass coverage. His Stop Rate of 43% ranked 6th among all safeties involved in at least 40 passing plays. Williams' biggest problem in pass coverage is that he gets little help from Keith Davis" - 2006 Pro Football Prospectus

Taylor... to my understanding, Sean Taylor had more TD's completed against him than any other safety in 2004. If anyone has KC Joyner's book(s) or Pro Football Prospectus.. I would give crazy SPEK if someone could post what they mention of Taylor's coverage stats and ability.

Another point that is OFTEN brought up by Taylor fans is that he can guard Randy Moss. In my opinion, this is a complete misconception. The highlights showing Taylor guarding Randy Moss... there are 2 plays in particular that are in almost every highlight video.

See here:
taylorvsmoss2.gif

taylorvsmoss1.gif

Notice that in BOTH plays.. Randy Moss almost COMPLETELY STOPS in order to catch the ball. This indicates the fact that if the ball were thrown worth a crap on EITHER of these plays.. its a reception. In the first play, if the ball is throw LEADING Moss, Taylor would certainly be out of position and allow Moss to make the catch. On the 2nd play, if the ball was not so HORRIBLY UNDERTHROWN, Moss would appear to prance into the endzone. The fact is that Taylor only gains ground on Moss and makes the play because the pass is severely underthrown.

Game Changing ability:
As I have stated previously.. this is my argument in favor of Roy Williams' game changing ability:

Roy Williams is directly responsible for the Cowboys scoring a TD in AT LEAST 1 game per season thru every season of his career. In EVERY SINGLE one of those games, the Cowboys won the game by a margin of 7 points or less!!!

His rookie season he intercepts a pass versus Washington game 1 and runs it for a TD... the Cowboys won that game 27-20.

In 2003 versus Carolina, in the 3rd quarter he intercepts a tipped pass, runs it 30 yards and the offense gets the ball on the 11 yard line. 2 plays later the Boys score a TD. Game won 24-20.

In 2004 versus Seattle (the great Julius Jones game), Roy forces a fumble in the 3rd quarter and the Cowboys offense gets the ball on the 21 yard line. 2 plays later the Boys score a TD. Game won 43-39.

In 2005 versus Philly game 2.. everyone knows he scored the TD that gave us the lead to win the game.

IN ADDITION:
In 2005 versus Denver.. Roy Williams forces a fumble on the Denver 10 yard line which Terrence Newman recovers. Dallas offense drives the ball 10 yards to score a TD. No other points were scored during regulation after this TD... which means Roy Williams enabled Dallas to tie the game and send it to OT. Unfortunately, Denver won it in OT.

In 2004 versus Washington... 13 seconds left in the game. Rod Gardner catches a pass for 46 yards to get them in field goal range to tie the game... problem is, Roy Williams flies over the Cowboys CB (can't remember who it was) and puts Gardner on his back STILL IN BOUNDS. Clock runs out because Roy prevented Gardner from taking ONE STEP to get out of bounds.

I'm sure there are more game changing plays that I've left off if someone cares to add them to the list.

I await a Sean Taylor fan to respond in intelligent rebuttle to this post. I also wait for someone to point out many of the great game changing plays that Taylor has made as well. (I remember the one in this past season's playoffs versus the Bucs on the fumble recovery for TD)