Video: Peter King: Cowboys need to compromise and sign Dak Prescott

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jordan Love
Jake Fromm
Jalen Hurts

Great, let's not replace B. Jones, let's not worry about Awuzie leaving after this year, let's not worry about Looney being the only real center available to replace Frederick, let's go all in on Dix being top notch, let's not worry about losing our highest sacker in Quinn.

We don't like Dak so let's try to replace him with an untested rookie.

NO

Hardline

Reaction score
Great, let's not replace B. Jones, let's not worry about Awuzie leaving after this year, let's not worry about Looney being the only real center available to replace Frederick, let's go all in on Dix being top notch, let's not worry about losing our highest sacker in Quinn.

We don't like Dak so let's try to replace him with an untested rookie.

NO
Every rookie QB is an untested.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every rookie QB is an untested.
Which is why it's a gamble to go with a rookie QB unless a team has no reasonable option to turn to or has improved odds by having a top 5 pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
“Do the right thing.”

Please Jerry.. Please sign away your teams future because you have a decent QB and if you have a decent QB you have to give them whatever they want because it’s just way to risky to draft a rookie and hope they could be a good QB too.

Stick with the mediocre plan.

I like the comments of the other guy.

Should have transition tagged Dak. Let Dak think about the possibility of playing for Cleveland, and do the math on his endorsement value from there.

Should be a public stated policy of the Cowboys that they don't have an interest in players who don't factor in the extra financial value the Cowboys bring beyond the contract.

Fact is, all the "Dak is our QB" talk tells Dak he has nothing to lose by asking for the moon. He played for 2mil and turned away 33mil last year. Inevitable that he would be willing to play for the franchise tag 33mil this year unless Jerry completely caved.

And we did nothing last year to even give ourselves a chance to have another option to Dak at QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the comments of the other guy.

Should have transition tagged Dak. Let Dak think about the possibility of playing for Cleveland, and do the math on his endorsement value from there.

Should be a public stated policy of the Cowboys that they don't have an interest in players who don't factor in the extra financial value the Cowboys bring beyond the contract.

Fact is, all the "Dak is our QB" talk tells Dak he has nothing to lose by asking for the moon. He played for 2mil and turned away 33mil last year. Inevitable that he would be willing to play for the franchise tag 33mil this year unless Jerry completely caved.

And we did nothing last year to even give ourselves a chance to have another option to Dak at QB.
He could also think about the possibility of playing for New England. Besides, what if it really is the term and not the average salary that is the holdup?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not to get OT, but I wonder if Belichick isn't about to put this theory to the test and see if he can win with a cheap QB that isn't making a fortune.

It's been my feeling for years that QBs are overpriced. Quality shows up in the draft. Most QBs just don't get the chance. Developing QBs should be job one. And not just the starter.

If there's one guy who would put it to the test, it's Belichick. He churned a 6th round pick into The GOAT.

I thought it made sense for Brady to leave and try to get a ring elsewhere. Only thing left for him to prove was that he could do it without Belichick.

Same with Belichick. The only thing left for him to prove is that he can do it without Brady. Doing it with *another* low pick would really make his case.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He could also think about the possibility of playing for New England. Besides, what if it really is the term and not the average salary that is the holdup?

I thought a QB swap might have made both teams happy. Too late for that now.

Term length and ave salary are related. The longer the term, the higher the ave can be.

I think the comparison to Cousins is right. Dak wants to get paid now like he would be in free agency *next year*, and is willing to play for the franchise tag in the meantime.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The flaw with this thinking, as always, is that it is based on the false notion that winning and losing is solely on the QB. But the team as a whole does matter, and the reality is throughout history there have been lesser QBs than Dak and Cousins have won Super Bowls, and also there have also been very capable QBs that, if not for one season, would be treated as not being capable of winning a Super Bowl. To not recognize these things is a to take a simplistic view that is designed more to fit a narrative than to fit reality.
oh no dont go there all dak and his followers/supporter had to keep bringing up last season was 32-16 was his record and why he deserved to get paid ..LMAO it works both ways and Dak at no point yet especially last year with his teams back against the wall WILLED A WIN FOR HIS TEAM..not one time did he bring the team back ,one more win is all we needed and we lost every game we were down at the half even by less then 5 points, lost a lot of the games leading in the 4th.. we lost a ton of close games, blame all you want but we all witnessed Daks inability against the better teams and the games that really counted that he may kt have been the reason for all the losses bu he for sure did not do one special thing to pull a win out of the jaws of defeat,, I mean that 2nd half of the philly game I realize people use injury as an excuse the rest of the team came out of that first half and played very well wide open WRs down by 8 for what 20 mins and Dak was HORRIIBLE..he should not have played if he couldn't hit wide open wrs with the season on the line.. he was bad in many moments in a lot of those games..

so recognizing hes been very good, solid ,isnt that 33/105 that a huge payday he wants the elite money for being just a very good player...Paying Ferrari prices for a mustang is not good business..sorry hes not being disrespected being Offered a top 5 deal for being a top 10 player..

no flawed logic here bud..

MaineBoy

Reaction score
There isn’t any risk to keeping Dak he’s a proven QB who’s gotten better every year. The highest risk to prevent real success in the immediate future is to move on from a proven player and draft a rookie QB. Rarely does a team have immediate success with a rookie QB. Good luck finding a rookie QB who’s had the kind of success Dak had his rookie season.

Yah, the problem is that after his rookie season Dak has been something like 6 games over .500.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought a QB swap might have made both teams happy. Too late for that now.

Term length and ave salary are related. The longer the term, the higher the ave can be.

I think the comparison to Cousins is right. Dak wants to get paid now like he would be in free agency *next year*, and is willing to play for the franchise tag in the meantime.
If it's true the Cowboys are looking for a longer than normal contractual commitment from their QB they likely weren't looking for a 42 year old QB. I'm not sure it's true that longer term necessarily means higher average salary. It means higher total package, but really guaranteed amount is the key number.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cousins deal before that was three years fully guaranteed
again just because one team does it and btw was a mistake , doesnt mean its a bad blueprint for others to follow,,should be a warning to others , owners and GMs need to be smarter with these QB deals as they have gotten out of control..some cap needs to be put on positions like no postion on a team can make more then 15% of the cap..problems solved..just brainstorming but man have QBs over the last 10years stole money because they were not worth the paper it was written on..

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The flaw with this thinking, as always, is that it is based on the false notion that winning and losing is solely on the QB. But the team as a whole does matter, and the reality is throughout history there have been lesser QBs than Dak and Cousins have won Super Bowls, and also there have also been very capable QBs that, if not for one season, would be treated as not being capable of winning a Super Bowl. To not recognize these things is a to take a simplistic view that is designed more to fit a narrative than to fit reality.

You make an excellent point. One core problem with Dak is that he is not good enough to carry a team, and needs lots of talent around him - talent they won’t be able to afford elsewhere after overpaying Dak, Zeke, and Amari. At least Zeke and Amari have above average talent. Dak will be the most expensive yet has the lesser talent among them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you are asking. You asked me has there ever been anyone that signed a 2 year deal and then you went on to add all these stipulations lol......now using Kirk Cousins in a debate is "invalid". Its not even a debate I'm asking you questions and you're debating yourself lol.

You turned my question into some form of Dak is Cousins type argument and I'm not sure why lol.
hes a prefect example on why to not pay Dak..not asking saying its not normal..

reddyuta

Reaction score
no they shouldnt,the hold up is the length of the contract,Jerry absolutely cannot revisit this is 4 years time,he has learned his lesson and it will probably cost more than 50 million a year then.

InTheZone

Reaction score
again just because one team does it and btw was a mistake , doesnt mean its a bad blueprint for others to follow,,should be a warning to others , owners and GMs need to be smarter with these QB deals as they have gotten out of control..some cap needs to be put on positions like no postion on a team can make more then 15% of the cap..problems solved..just brainstorming but man have QBs over the last 10years stole money because they were not worth the paper it was written on..
and because of some of these ridiculous contracts team never consider looking for a replacement until it's too late. Time and time again teams stick with average qbs longer than they need to and when that player is no longer with the team they could've had 1 or 2 others come in and give them a better chance, who knows.

blueblood70

Reaction score
look people im not anti dak im anti overpaying ie elite money to just really good players.. I dont like Tanks or Amaris deals either..But with Dak being one of the highest paid player sin the nfl like top 2-3 is INSANE and I cant wrap my head around it.. hes not even the 15th best layer, the issue is the QB market and some owner needs to bust the momentum, why not jerry..?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yah, the problem is that after his rookie season Dak has been something like 6 games over .500.

He hasn’t been the main reason or he wouldn’t be in line to make the contract he is. If he was the problem the Cowboys would let him walk. We would be a lot worse off with a lesser QB.