Video: Peter King: Cowboys need to compromise and sign Dak Prescott

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
look people im not anti dak im anti overpaying ie elite money to just really good players.. I dont like Tanks or Amaris deals either..But with Dak being one of the highest paid player sin the nfl like top 2-3 is INSANE and I cant wrap my head around it.. hes not even the 15th best layer, the issue is the QB market and some owner needs to bust the momentum, why not jerry..?

LOL...….yah right. You have been anti Dak for 4 years. At least have the decency to not lie about it.

Elite QB money is 35 million. And Dak should get what?...……...32 million?

Are you really complaining about 3 million?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry just makes no sense. If Jerry has every intention of paying him they never should have put the exclusive franchise tag on him. Not unless Jerry is trying to lowball him. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense!

If Dak is asking for top dollar, 40M a year or whatever, then logic dictates you slap a transition tag on the guy. This isn't opinion, that's what you do. If someone offers him top dollar, you match it. At best, it's much less. No downside to this for Jerry. The exclusive tag tells me they want to sign him, but for a lot less than he's asking. If they cave in and sign him anyway, then they blew a chance at getting him for less by letting him test the market through the transition tag. Which also tells me he's not asking for 40m per.
it doesnt make sense at all he wants to pay him but not a market deal..so why not put the non exclusive tag on him and find out some true market dollars and innrest from other teams..

it could have solved multiple issues especially if Dak and his agents saw reality that there would be not much interest at all , maybe he comes to the middle a bit more, if not the cap hit for NEFTAG is lower..jeez Jerry does like to bid against himself..

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
again just because one team does it and btw was a mistake , doesnt mean its a bad blueprint for others to follow,,should be a warning to others , owners and GMs need to be smarter with these QB deals as they have gotten out of control..some cap needs to be put on positions like no postion on a team can make more then 15% of the cap..problems solved..just brainstorming but man have QBs over the last 10years stole money because they were not worth the paper it was written on..

It's not one team. Every quarterback signed this past offseasonhas signed for at most a four year extension. First the argument was Dak wanted something unprecedented. Now the goalposts are being moved.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Those look like 3 reasons the Cowboys should sign Dak.
actually not Dak was a 4th rounder , 3rd on the depth chart and bam the starter..one of those guys could start with a strong oline, Run game and good coaching...we are rebuilding defense have a better ST coach and kicker..

we own Dak this year anyway but can draft one of those and they have a year to prepare..even if dak signs then we have a young solid backup..

whats the issue? I saw other teams go 8-8 with QBS just like that ie PITT how many qbs did they play last year they were in shambles we were healthy and they match our 8-8 in a tougher division? huh 8-8 isnt hard to either r match or surpass..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh no dont go there all dak and his followers/supporter had to keep bringing up last season was 32-16 was his record and why he deserved to get paid ..LMAO it works both ways and Dak at no point yet especially last year with his teams back against the wall WILLED A WIN FOR HIS TEAM..not one time did he bring the team back ,one more win is all we needed and we lost every game we were down at the half even by less then 5 points, lost a lot of the games leading in the 4th.. we lost a ton of close games, blame all you want but we all witnessed Daks inability against the better teams and the games that really counted that he may kt have been the reason for all the losses bu he for sure did not do one special thing to pull a win out of the jaws of defeat,, I mean that 2nd half of the philly game I realize people use injury as an excuse the rest of the team came out of that first half and played very well wide open WRs down by 8 for what 20 mins and Dak was HORRIIBLE..he should not have played if he couldn't hit wide open wrs with the season on the line.. he was bad in many moments in a lot of those games..

so recognizing hes been very good, solid ,isnt that 33/105 that a huge payday he wants the elite money for being just a very good player...Paying Ferrari prices for a mustang is not good business..sorry hes not being disrespected being Offered a top 5 deal for being a top 10 player..

no flawed logic here bud..
This isn't any more logical than your previous post.

First, you can't logically argue against my point as if I said something I didn't say. I never suggested Dak was solely responsible for Cowboy wins, and if someone else said that it has nothing to do with me. Besides, if you will go back and read, I indicated the QB is neither solely responsible for winning or losing. I didn't make it out to be one way.

Second, if somebody else has a flawed argument that doesn't somehow mean your argument isn't also flawed.

As for the price tag, do you really know what Dak is asking for? Or what the Cowboys are offering? Of course not - none of us do. So why argue as if we know?

But I will say this, the price being discussed is certainly a big number, but that's life in the NFL, and particularly with QB's, not just with Dak. Cousins got a big number a couple of years ago. Garoppolo too. Then Wentz. And prices keep going up. You have to remember pay is not purely a positional ranking system the way some want to portray it. The market doesn't freeze waiting for every player contract to come due so they can get a contract that slides neatly into somebody's version of how every QB should be ranked. It's supply and demand, not a Sports Illustrated QB ranking list.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Why do all these media guys say the Cowboys are the ones who have to give?

King says both sides need to meet in the middle, but that can't happen when the player refuses to do so.
You must remember..

these reporters make their livings off the stories from the league.

Most of the players had careers and in order to get a return phone call from a story..

the reporters have to have a rep that if they give the reporter a quote..

it will not make them look bad. If it does, no more return calls.

So you are going to support the players in your reporting. They make you money, get you air time, etc.

King carefully strattles the fence in his reporting.

He says " I was talking to Jerrah last week, and..." blah blah.

Probably he asked Jones completely something unrelated to the topic and when something hot and juicy comes up..

King says on the phone, Jerrah you remember us talking last week about such and such..

Jerrah says sure..

King says "what I really wanted to ask you was about this that and the other".

Jerrah says sure..blah blah..ect.

King then does his new headline and it appears King has a lead on a story and manipulates it to appear King has the inside scope. Had it all along.

It's really some games these reporters stoop to to get their stories broadcast or published..

So FYI.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned, we’ve got two years of franchise tags to play with here. It’ll end up netting out about the same. We won’t be using those tags on anybody else during that time as the only players we might be tempted to use it on are under contract. If Dak doesn’t want to sign, that’s fine with me. I’m not sure I understand what the issue is.

Definitely agree on that one. Dak isn't going anywhere, that's all that matters. Franchise him for two years if he wont be reasonable.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You make an excellent point. One core problem with Dak is that he is not good enough to carry a team, and needs lots of talent around him - talent they won’t be able to afford elsewhere after overpaying Dak, Zeke, and Amari. At least Zeke and Amari have above average talent. Dak will be the most expensive yet has the lesser talent among them.
The thing about that is, outside of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees .. maybe Brady still and maybe Wilson, how many QBs can carry their team. Look at how short that list is, and to drive home even further how rare that breed of QB is, it took going back 15-20 years to find where 3 of those guys were drafted. Only one of them has been drafted in the last 5 years. My point is, these "carry the team on their back" type QB's aren't as easy to find as some want to think, and teams can't afford to turn their nose up at QB's that fall a little outside that level. If someone feels he has to have one of those QB's to win they've really already given up. Giving up unless you have ideal circumstances isn't really what sports is about.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's not one team. Every quarterback signed this past offseasonhas signed for at most a four year extension. First the argument was Dak wanted something unprecedented. Now the goalposts are being moved.
really ok so maybe Dak should play for 2 years 50mil like Brady? sign me up one year 25 mil like Brees? or Bridgewater what 21? rivers what was his deal? foles?

many of those deals you speak of were for players on there 3rd or 4th deals etc short term was good for both party's Daks young and its his first deal , no goal post being moved...I said 2 years ago they'd be crazy to [pay him more then 28 when that was the number so when I saw 33/105 I thought great for sure hes signing that ..if we wanted A PLAYER ON A SHORT TERM DEAL WE SHOULD HAVE WENT AFTER TB, Brady, or someone else..start over through the draft..heck I think MM could do well with a project like Winston who soon will cav e and take 25 per..

doesnt matter Dak on the FT and im happy about it.. those who are not obviously are wrong because the DC agree with me :):dance:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

First, you can't logically argue against my point as if I said something I didn't say. I never suggested Dak was solely responsible for Cowboy wins, and if someone else said that it has nothing to do with me. Besides, if you will go back and read, I indicated the QB is neither solely responsible for winning or losing. I didn't make it out to be one way.

Second, if somebody else has a flawed argument that doesn't somehow mean your argument isn't also flawed.

As for the price tag, do you really know what Dak is asking for? Or what the Cowboys are offering? Of course not - none of us do. So why argue as if we know?

But I will say this, the price being discussed is certainly a big number, but that's life in the NFL, and particularly with QB's, not just with Dak. Cousins got a big number a couple of years ago. Garoppolo too. Then Wentz. And prices keep going up. You have to remember pay is not purely a positional ranking system the way some want to portray it. The market doesn't freeze waiting for every player contract to come due so they can get a contract that slides neatly into somebody's version of how every QB should be ranked. It's supply and demand, not a Sports Illustrated QB ranking list.
You're wrong for making your point easily understandable.
The thing about that is, outside of Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees .. maybe Brady still and maybe Wilson, how many QBs can carry their team. Look at how short that list is, and to drive home even further how rare that breed of QB is, it took going back 15-20 years to find where 3 of those guys were drafted. Only one of them has been drafted in the last 5 years. My point is, these "carry the team on their back" type QB's aren't as easy to find as some want to think, and teams can't afford to turn their nose up at QB's that fall a little outside that level. If someone feels he has to have one of those QB's to win they've really already given up. Giving up unless you have ideal circumstances isn't really what sports is about.
Now you're just piling it on. Stop with the sound reasoning, please?

Qcard

Reaction score

Oh my! Flawless......:clap:Great Post @OmerV

ESisback

Reaction score
I get tired of these “experts” and their second guessing. The Cowboys are ALWAYS at fault, they ALWAYS make the wrong decision, they’re ALWAYS doomed, they’re ALWAYS the “laughingstock”. Screw off!

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Of course they will sign Dak, but before they do I want to revisit Three games from last year, At New Orleans, At New England and At Philadelphia, All on the road where the Cowboys scored, in order 10, 9, and 9 points. Why was that Dak??

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
He has his offer and he has another option with the tag, which he can sign. He can also choose to hold out. Choices, choices Dak.
yea, dak needs to compromise some too here.

rags747

Reaction score
Bridgewater was there for peanuts. Look fwd to comparing the two at seasons end.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There isn’t any risk to keeping Dak he’s a proven QB who’s gotten better every year. The highest risk to prevent real success in the immediate future is to move on from a proven player and draft a rookie QB. Rarely does a team have immediate success with a rookie QB. Good luck finding a rookie QB who’s had the kind of success Dak had his rookie season.

Wanna hear something weird? Ask his critics if they're will keep him long-term for $10-15M per year. Pretty sure most, if not all will say yes.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
really ok so maybe Dak should play for 2 years 50mil like Brady? sign me up one year 25 mil like Brees? or Bridgewater what 21? rivers what was his deal? foles?

many of those deals you speak of were for players on there 3rd or 4th deals etc short term was good for both party's Daks young and its his first deal , no goal post being moved...I said 2 years ago they'd be crazy to [pay him more then 28 when that was the number so when I saw 33/105 I thought great for sure hes signing that ..if we wanted A PLAYER ON A SHORT TERM DEAL WE SHOULD HAVE WENT AFTER TB, Brady, or someone else..start over through the draft..heck I think MM could do well with a project like Winston who soon will cav e and take 25 per..

doesnt matter Dak on the FT and im happy about it.. those who are not obviously are wrong because the DC agree with me :):dance:

The Wentz and Goff deals already set the paramaters for a fair offer. 110 million guaranteed on a four year extension. The Cowboys latest reported offer added an extra year and had less guaranteed money. The Cowboys have to give somewhere if they want to get a deal done. Hoping they get it done sooner rather than later so they save some cap space and fill out the team.