Video: Peter King: Cowboys need to compromise and sign Dak Prescott

Swagger

Reaction score
Cheers to Peter King not being GM of this team. Atleast 1 maybe 2 people in the top inner circle are not sold on Dak. Its that simple. They are proceeding appropriately. Franchise him & see what he does with McCarthy. If he sits...you bite bullet for year then franchise and trade him next year.
Yes that's the point.

Is Prescott really planning to sit out two years?

Imagine what his accuracy would be like by that point! :facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s as risky now as it ever has been and all you have to do is go back 3 years ago when the Bears took Mitch Trubisky over Pat Mahomes. Drafting QBs will always be a roll of the dice.

You can play that game with any position though.

All positions hold some risk.

Stop being so scared to draft a QB.

I know it’s been 30 years or something since this stupid team drafted a QB in the first round but that is where you find the majority of great QBs and there is some great prospects in this class.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can play that game with any position though.

All positions hold some risk.

Of course all positions hold some risk. There’s busts at every position but the QB position holds the most risk because it’s the hardest position to evaluate from college to the NFL and it’s the most important position. No player on a football team influences the outcome of games more than a QB. You can make a mistake at any position in the first round and overcome it and still have a successful team but if you make a mistake a QB with your top pick you’re not going to be successful and it could take years to overcome the mistake. Making a mistake a QB can lead to many lean years and there’s plenty of examples out there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course all positions hold some risk. There’s busts at every position but the QB position holds the most risk because it’s the hardest position to evaluate from college to the NFL and it’s the most important position. No player on a football team influences the outcome of games more than a QB. You can make a mistake at any position in the first round and overcome it and still have a successful team but if you make a mistake a QB with your top pick you’re not going to be successful and it could take years to overcome the mistake. Making a mistake a QB can lead to many lean years and there’s plenty of examples out there.

Being bad is fine..

Being in the middle is the worst position to be in..

Unless we can put an incredible team around Dak we will be stuck in the middle because he is not a QB that elevates.

Take the “risk” and go draft a QB.

If you’re scared then that’s fine but QBs get more reps and better coaching then ever before coming out of college and are more prepared then ever to hit the ground running. That is why we’d are seeing more and more QBs come in and play well for teams all over the draft.

We’re seeing player like Kyle Allen and Gardner Minshew come in and play well.

It’s QBs galore coming out of the draft these days.

Even the QBs that are considered terrible aren’t that terrible.

Name 5 truly bad starting QBs?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cheers to Peter King not being GM of this team. Atleast 1 maybe 2 people in the top inner circle are not sold on Dak. Its that simple. They are proceeding appropriately. Franchise him & see what he does with McCarthy. If he sits...you bite bullet for year then franchise and trade him next year.
What is there to prove they aren't sold on Dak? Do we think in the early1990's Jerry wasn't sold on Emmitt the year Emmitt held out through the first few games of the season? The reality is that being sold on a player does not mean a team won't or shouldn't negotiate to make the deal what they want, even if the negotiation becomes difficult to get through.

Other things to consider …

1. It has been a fairly common belief that the hang up is the Cowboys want to tie down Dak for a longer time frame than the Eagles and Rams signed their young QBs for, and if that's true, why would the Cowboys want to do that if they weren't sold on Dak?

2. Even if that's not the case, and the hold up is only about the average and guaranteed pay, why would the Cowboys engage in the kind of protracted negotiation they have if they weren't sold on Dak?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
NO Dak needs to compromise..

no one has empathy for his situation as hes been offered fair deals, hes on the FT., UNSIGNED BTW, because he wants far to much money, less years, more guarantees etc etc top 5 deal for atop 10 QB is beyond fair..idc one iota another team paid Goff or wentz a bit more..its in that area code and well daks the only 3 to not at least been on a bench at the SB :) 2 of the last 3 years 9-7, 10-6(needing us to overpay for a WR for dak, ) , and now 8-8 that rookie season is well in the rearview and 8-8 is front and center..i say to bad so sad and let dak eat the FT and put him on the block for 2021 non exclusive tag and get what you can if he want to dig in..
Here comes your label..

Wait for it..

Wait for it..

Freakun' Dak Hater.

Polish it and wear it proudly.

I had mine bronzed and surgically attached to my rear end.

:thumbup:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jerry needs to Draft a QB a little later in this years draft, 2nd or 3rd. A kid like Fromm, and then they need to sit him and develop him. They need to bring in a capable vet who can win games for this team and they need to hold the line and plan to move forward if forced to.

Or, the team needs to work out a trade and acquire a starting QB and just move on. The team can not be held hostage by any player ever. It will not work that way so if anything, the team doesn't need to take bullet and pay. The team needs to make a choice, pick a lane and move on, if Dak is unwilling to sign a deal.

That's how I see it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Being bad is fine..

Being in the middle is the worst position to be in..

Unless we can put an incredible team around Dak we will be stuck in the middle because he is not a QB that elevates.

Take the “risk” and go draft a QB.

If you’re scared then that’s fine but QBs get more reps and better coaching then ever before coming out of college and are more prepared then ever to hit the ground running. That is why we’d are seeing more and more QBs come in and play well for teams all over the draft.

We’re seeing player like Kyle Allen and Gardner Minshew come in and play well.

It’s QBs galore coming out of the draft these days.

Even the QBs that are considered terrible aren’t that terrible.

Name 5 truly bad starting QBs?

You can’t be serious if you think Dak needs an incredible team around him to be successful. You’re making no sense at all if you think he needs to be carried. You’re acting like he’s Trent Dilfer. lol Dak carried us in several games last season. As for Kyle Allen he played well early on and fell off the second half of the season. He ended up getting traded. Gardner Minshew played well early on for Jacksonville and his play fell off and he got benched.

There isn’t any truly “bad” starting QBs in the NFL or they wouldn’t be starting but there’s several inconsistent starting QB’s. They can be good one week and terrible the next. They’re up and down and you can’t win consistently with a QB whose play fluctuates from week to week. You don’t take the risk of drafting a QB in the first round unless you absolutely need one. We don’t need a QB!

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
did it than why are many starters taking less? dont gibe me those lame excuses Tom Brady has NEVER MADE MORE THEN 23 PER YEAR, BREES HAS TAKEN LESS MANY YEARS, there are at least 20 starting qbs making less then 30mil..

so the bs narrative agents are setting can be reversed, you should make what earn when you are compared to your production and how that falls in with other starters with similar production..giving him deals close to those players is fair..sorry it doesnt have to be MORE..thats a farce. its bad precedence..

remember when 1st round rookies used to get giant deals, and QBVs like Bradford got 5omil before he played a snap, THAT CHANGED.. THIS WILL ALSO CHANGE..we just need some more pioneer franchise owners like NE and few other to reverse the trend, refuse to overpay for players who simply are not worth more then 15% of the cap./.that goes for others not just Dak and QBs Amari and Tank should never have got those deals..

im moving on from this redicouls debate its all opinions and Dak sits on the FT because Jerry feels daks being stubborn..i hoe it becomes boiling point and Dak either caves or this is his last season..i want better defense and the ability to keep a better OL and other players.. I personally rather have a 20-28mil qb thats not demanding elite money for average results and get a S like Adams and other players to dominates..

I look at MN and Cousins they were in the same exact portion with Case Keenum, they over pay for cousin and havent moved forward much at all..their run game and defense was more to do with their success.. same with JG and SF, they for sure went to the SB on a string run game defense and a creative coaching staff..

None of those other situations you are referring to are comparable to Dak. You're mostly referring to older players who aren't expected to be with their new teams that long. I'm pretty sure the last qb to play on the franchise tag was Cousins in Washington and that was around 5 years ago. Comparing to Tannehill that had one half a good season is laughable.

You don't seem to be considering the ramifications of the fifth year. The offer Dak has received is not close. That fifth year could turn into a $20 million plus+ difference in what Dak could make that year. Then the team is shorting him $5 million on what Goff got in guaranteed money for four years. The Cowboys should be giving at least $115-$120 million guaranteed to get a 5th year, and they haven't even matched Goff yet.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Without question Romo and Moore getting hurt gave Dak a chance, but that doesn't somehow prove that any other 4th round pick can just be expected to step up and be a high quality starting QB. The same applies to Brady who got his chance when Bledsoe got hurt.

The exceptions don't magically become the rule just because they make a nice story.

Hell, a high percentage of 1st round QBs don't even succeed in becoming high quality starters, much less 4th rounders like Dak or 6th rounders like Brady.

I didn't say Dak was the rule. But that Dak could have been a nothing burger but for fluke events suggests that some of those nothing burgers *without* those fluke events could have been Daks too.

Do you assume that Dak is a unique fluke, and it just so happened that unique events found the unique fluke?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say Dak was the rule. But that Dak could have been a nothing burger but for fluke events suggests that some of those nothing burgers *without* those fluke events could have been Daks too.

Do you assume that Dak is a unique fluke, and it just so happened that unique events found the unique fluke?
I know you didn't specifically say that, but if that wasn't the point I don't know why you are telling me this. We weren't discussing on what led to Dak getting his foot in the door, we were discussing the idea of periodically drafting QBs to groom and the likelihood of them becoming quality starters.

As for Dak being a fluke, he may have got the chance anyway, or maybe he wouldn't have. We can't know that. But we do know that the further down the draft a QB is drafted the less likely he is to become a quality starter in the NFL. Absolutely there may be some cases where lack of opportunity is a large part of the blame, but that doesn't somehow prove the odds are good of getting a quality QB that slides deeper in the draft. The odds still aren't good even if a few end up getting overlooked.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

The thing that Dak slobberers don’t understand is that Dak wasn’t the fluke, drafting three All-Pro lineman (2 who made the All-Decade team) in 4 years was the fluke. It’s literally unheard of. Dak was the dink and dunk guy that we plugged in and benefited, and there are plenty of guys that come out every year who can stand in a pocket by themselves and hand off to Zeke.
Having said that, all is not lost because the fact that Dak isn’t signed yet is evidence that somewhere in the dim recesses of the Jones clan’s brains... they realize it too.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The thing that Dak slobberers don’t understand is that Dak wasn’t the fluke, drafting three All-Pro lineman (2 who made the All-Decade team) in 4 years was the fluke. It’s literally unheard of. Dak was the dink and dunk guy that we plugged in and benefited, and there are plenty of guys that come out every year who can stand in a pocket by themselves and hand off to Zeke.
Having said that, all is not lost because the fact that Dak isn’t signed yet is evidence that somewhere in the dim recesses of the Jones clan’s brains... they realize it too.

Dak's accuracy downfield did improve a lot last year. My estimate of him has risen.
But as you point out, the offense is loaded w/o Dak, and no longer has the Red Albatross hanging around its neck. Few teams have a more QB friendly offense. I bet a lot of QBs could move the ball for us.
If Dak isn't signed before the draft, I'll be surprised but not shocked if we take a QB early.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If the reports are true and the stalemate is not about money, but years, then I vote to compromise as well. Is that one year really all that?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
When has a team EVER gotten better by getting rid of their young, top 10 QB?
The Egals lol. I know they didn't get rid of Wentz, but he sure as hell didn't win the Superbowl for them. :laugh:

You think Dak cares? What he won't get here someone else will give him.
You think the majority of the fans care anymore?

He's lost a huge fan base already. Let him go somewhere else. He's been nothing more than a big fat headache.

Swagger

Reaction score
What is there to prove they aren't sold on Dak? Do we think in the early1990's Jerry wasn't sold on Emmitt the year Emmitt held out through the first few games of the season? The reality is that being sold on a player does not mean a team won't or shouldn't negotiate to make the deal what they want, even if the negotiation becomes difficult to get through.

Other things to consider …

1. It has been a fairly common belief that the hang up is the Cowboys want to tie down Dak for a longer time frame than the Eagles and Rams signed their young QBs for, and if that's true, why would the Cowboys want to do that if they weren't sold on Dak?

2. Even if that's not the case, and the hold up is only about the average and guaranteed pay, why would the Cowboys engage in the kind of protracted negotiation they have if they weren't sold on Dak?

If you are fully sold on a QB then you sign him asap. You don't mess about over 18 months worth of negotiation.

Regardless of whether people are for or against the Cowboys signing Prescott, they quite clearly are not fully sold on him otherwise a deal would have been done long ago.