News: Peter King: Greg Hardy has the right to work in the field in which he excels

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Greg Hardy.
What Greg Hardy has done and said in the past 18 months repulses me. Starting with the alleged serious abuse of girlfriend Nicole Holder in Charlotte on May 13, 2014 … being found guilty in a North Carolina bench trial for assaulting and threatening to kill her … his flippant remarks when he returned to play football last month with the Cowboys about coming out “with guns blazing’’ against the Patriots—he had allegedly thrown Holder onto a futon covered with a stash of automatic weapons … seeing the graphic photos of Holder on Deadspinon Friday, showing the marks and welts from the alleged Hardy abuse … and reading his way-too-little-too-late Twitter apology Saturday (“I express my regret 4 what happened in past”) that defined shallow.

But I also think Greg Hardy has the right to play football for the Dallas Cowboys.

Since 2000, approximately 51 NFL players have been found culpable in domestic-violence cases. We have been moved to widespread public outrage twice: in the Hardy case and in the Ray Rice case last year. Both times we saw images, once in a video (Rice) and once in photos of the abuse victim (Hardy), after a trial with graphic testimony. In many of the other cases, surely the abuse would be comparable to—if not quite as stunning as—what Rice did, and what Hardy allegedly did. But we haven’t been outraged, because we haven’t seen the images. Why weren’t we outraged over Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleading guilty in 2014 to assaulting the mother of his child, leaving her with a broken collarbone? Or when former Dolphin Phillip Merling was accused by a tearful girlfriend of battery when she was pregnant? Or the numerous other incidents that have left girlfriends and wives battered and in fear of more abuse?

I said the same thing after Rice paid his penalty to the league and to society: He deserves a second chance to ply his professional trade. Rice was suspended by the league for a total of 12 games and won his reinstatement on appeal, and now he sits, almost a full year later, waiting for a team to sign him. Hardy was put on the league’s exempt list for 15 games last year (paid leave), then suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for the first 10 games of this year after a league investigation into the alleged battery of Holder; Goodell’s ban was cut to four games on appeal, Hardy signed with Dallas, and he began playing for the Cowboys a month ago.

Read the rest: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/08/minnesota-vikings-overtime-decision-week-9-nfl

Wolfpack

Reaction score

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The thing that always bugs me about fans reacting to Hardy, and really any other player with off-field issues, is that they forget that players have just as much of a right to work as you and I do.

Hardy and Rice might not be true in this conversation, but who in the world would be OK with getting fired for being in, say, Pat Kane's situation? For getting fired and black listed in your industry for smoking weed? Sports fans I think are wildly hypocritical in regards to all of this.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
People(media) are getting too emotional. Hardy allegedly committed a heinous crime. He went through the legal process, served his NFL suspension. What exactly is expected of him, Jerry and/or the NFL now? Not saying what's right or wrong. But it's basically a dead issue now.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
People(media) are getting too emotional. Hardy allegedly committed a heinous crime. He went through the legal process, served his NFL suspension. What exactly is expected of him, Jerry and/or the NFL now? Not saying what's right or wrong. But it's basically a dead issue now.

Especially since his record has been " expunged" which means there is no case... The entertainment industry forgets that the legal system has run it's course and neglects to use the words " alleged" and what the means while give credence to what the legal system had determined.

Let them suffer the same scrutiny and see how they hold up...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The thing that always bugs me about fans reacting to Hardy, and really any other player with off-field issues, is that they forget that players have just as much of a right to work as you and I do.

Hardy and Rice might not be true in this conversation, but who in the world would be OK with getting fired for being in, say, Pat Kane's situation? For getting fired and black listed in your industry for smoking weed? Sports fans I think are wildly hypocritical in regards to all of this.

Anyone saying Hardy should never play another down in the NFL because of what happened is, either coming from a very personal place (and therefore placing their emotions over rationality) or an idiot.

People buy things everyday, knowing almost nothing of how and who makes those things. Would you stop buying iPhones if the foreman of a factory that builds them had a domestic assault on his record? If we required everyone that produces the things we consume in life to be a standup individual, we'd die hungry, thirsty and outdoors.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Anyone saying Hardy should never play another down in the NFL because of what happened is, either coming from a very personal place (and therefore placing their emotions over rationality) or an idiot.

People buy things everyday, knowing almost nothing of how and who makes those things. Would you stop buying iPhones if the foreman of a factory that builds them had a domestic assault on his record? If we required everyone that produces the things we consume in life to be a standup individual, we'd die hungry, thirsty and outdoors.

And in this particular case his record has been " expunged" meaning their is nothing there..... The media won't make that the focal point, they will throw in alleged, but not explain what's really meant by that or expunged.

aria

Reaction score

What's expected of him? How about remorse? Whether you think he's innicent or not he should have said or done something. How about "No one will ever know what happened that night but myself and Nicole. I understand why people think I abused her. I am against domestic violence and no matter what I say or do, peoole may never believe me but I am contributing $XYZ,000 to xxx foundation for women who are victims of abuse".

Instead he makes comments about Tom Brady's wife, sister and guns. He then supports himself by throwing a temper tantrum on the side lines and putting his hands on a coach. What does our fine owner and coach do? Support and condone his actions by calling him a leader.

Oh, I almost forgot! He tweeted last night that he was sorry for his past actions. Lol, like anyone believes that Greg. Karma is real and he'll eventually get his.

Go ahead jwitten82, waiting on your predictable and laughable response.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Peter King and Whitlock matched my opinion pretty much to a tee. I've never said the guy shouldn't be able to play in the Rant zone. I've been harsh but its about my personal opinions outside football.....don't hit women. Even drug fueled crazy ones don't deserve it. I think the guy, personally, is a bad seed. I think his first presser and other actions show no remorse. Latest tweets were closest thing to it. But that doesn't mean people don't change. From the football side though he is combustible and I'm not sure he will change. I haven't seen enough to say throw money at him and I honestly think the media distraction is real. Just not sure Dallas is the place he should be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What's expected of him? How about remorse? Whether you think he's innicent or not he should have said or done something. How about "No one will ever know what happened that night but myself and Nicole. I understand why people think I abused her. I am against domestic violence and no matter what I say or do, peoole may never believe me but I am contributing $XYZ,000 to xxx foundation for women who are victims of abuse".

Instead he makes comments about Tom Brady's wife, sister and guns. He then supports himself by throwing a temper tantrum on the side lines and putting his hands on a coach. What does our fine owner and coach do? Support and condone his actions by calling him a leader.

Oh, I almost forgot! He tweeted last night that he was sorry for his past actions. Lol, like anyone believes that Greg. Karma is real and he'll eventually get his.

Go ahead jwitten82, waiting on your predictable and laughable response.

Why should he have to say that? Who does he owe remorse too? He doesn't owe us ANYTHING. Whatever was said about Tom Brady's wife was NOTHING. The guy has a sense of humor and everyone wants him o act a certain way. The moral police. Everyone is. Its silly. Then when he finally gives you guys what you want a remorseful "tweet" you guys say "like anyone believes that". Why even bother? I don't blame the guy. The guy is public enemy #1. There's nothing he can do to get off of that so he might as well just focus on football.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Peter King and Whitlock matched my opinion pretty much to a tee. I've never said the guy shouldn't be able to play in the Rant zone. I've been harsh but its about my personal opinions outside football.....don't hit women. Even drug fueled crazy ones don't deserve it. I think the guy, personally, is a bad seed. I think his first presser and other actions show no remorse. Latest tweets were closest thing to it. But that doesn't mean people don't change. From the football side though he is combustible and I'm not sure he will change. I haven't seen enough to say throw money at him and I honestly think the media distraction is real. Just not sure Dallas is the place he should be.

Why does he owe remorse? The women he allegedly beat apparently doesn't care about remorse or this incident so why is everyone more upset then the victim themselves? She took the money and ran.

aria

Reaction score

You must be joking. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. If I went on a date with your daughter or mom, walked her to the front door with those types of bruises on her and said "I know how it looks but she attacked me and I was just defending myself" would you say "oh, ok, hopefully you guys had a nice dinner"?

I don't have a daugter but if I did, or if that was my mom, I would be in prison right now for murder.

jwitten82

Reaction score
People who think he shouldnt play anymore are just idiots. Hardy would have served NO prison time, because it wouldve been a MISDEMEANOR charge. They act like Hardy got away from doing some hard time

jwitten82

Reaction score
You must be joking. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. If I went on a date you has a daughter or mom, walked her to the front door with those types of bruises on her and said "I know how it looks but she attacked me and I was just defending myself" would you say "oh, ok, hopefully you guys had a nice dinner"?

I don't have a daugter but if I did, or if that was my mom, I would probably be in prison right now for murder.

And if you committed murder then I would call at&t so they can cut off your service............:D

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
You must be joking. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. If I went on a date with your daughter or mom, walked her to the front door with those types of bruises on her and said "I know how it looks but she attacked me and I was just defending myself" would you say "oh, ok, hopefully you guys had a nice dinner"?

I don't have a daugter but if I did, or if that was my mom, I would be in prison right now for murder.
Working at any job, anywhere, is a privilege, not a right.

aria

Reaction score
People who think he shouldnt play anymore are just idiots. Hardy would have served NO prison time, because it wouldve been a MISDEMEANOR charge. They act like Hardy got away from doing some hard time

It's not about the charges, it's about the ACT. Do you have a single moral bone in your body?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Your response is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about when I say some people are coming from an emotional place. The scenario you've created has, quite literally, nothing to do with the actual situation at hand.

The idea that you'd even suggest that your response to an assault would be murder is beyond ridiculous and I hope you're just saying that for effect. How does your going to prison for the rest of your life help anyone or anything in that scenario?