News: Peter King: Greg Hardy has the right to work in the field in which he excels

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Do your homework. She had a Judicial record of favoring defendants, had specialized in defending battered women going back to Law School and the website of her reelection campaign made a big effort to focus she was hard on men who committed domestic violence.

1.) Did you examine each of those cases to determine if the facts in the case warranted those convictions?
2.) Again, if she is hard on men who commit domestic violence why did she charge Hardy with a felony?

She can't make up sentencing guidelines, she wasn't going to give Hardy 20 years of hard time for something that the sentencing guidelines say is a lesser sentence. But coming into an election a Professional Athlete came into her court in a case that was front page headlines in the local newspapers. Its pretty obvious she erred on the side of the "victim" in this case, especially knowing that her ruling would be vacated the following day when Hardy asked for a Jury Trial.

I think this section from Jason Whitlock's piece is worth repeating.

Becky Thorne Tin, a white North Carolina judge far more experienced at litigating domestic violence issues than members of the media (and FANS - my addition), chose not to send Hardy to prison. Tin, Mecklenburg County district attorney Andrew Murray (white) and assistant district attorney Jamie Adams (black female) saw pictures of the victim’s and Hardy’s injuries, reviewed the pertinent statements and testimony and deemed the crime a misdemeanor.
Why?
Did a white woman, a white man and a black woman with deep knowledge of our criminal justice system scheme to let a hulking black man escape prison for beating “the hell” out of a white woman?
This seems unlikely inside Judge Tin’s courtroom. A magna cum laude graduate of Harvard, Judge Tin is the co-chair of her alma mater’s battered women’s advocacy project. In 2007, Judge Tin was involved in a controversial case related to domestic violence that left her, by her own admission, “traumatized.” Over the objections of 32-year-old Sonia Long, Judge Tin issued a less-restrictive restraining order against Long’s estranged husband, Anthony Long. One week later, Anthony Long murdered his wife.
Domestic violence is an issue Judge Tin likely takes more seriously than the sports writers pontificating about what Jerry Jones and the Cowboys should do with Greg Hardy.
So why did the system that specializes in handling these issues go far easier on Hardy than Roger Goodell and the NFL?
Probably because our criminal justice system deals with thousands of domestic issues annually, has a more mature perspective and doesn’t – at the moment – have to answer to the outrage media.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
1.) Did you examine each of those cases to determine if the facts in the case warranted those convictions?
2.) Again, if she is hard on men who commit domestic violence why did she charge Hardy with a felony?

If she is tough on DV and she didn't throw the book at Hardy it is possible she saw problems with the case and found some mitigating factors.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If she is tough on DV and she didn't throw the book at Hardy it is possible she saw problems with the case and found some mitigating factors.

Even so, that doesn't seem to indicate she pursued this case for political reasons, like some are suggesting.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is offtopic but I live in Hollywood where the conventional wisdom is that Roman Polanski was charged with rape just because of some crazy party getting out of hand.

The reality is that he targeted a THIRTEEN year old girl, lured her to a private home in a complete ruse about a modeling shoot, then drugged her and raped her. No word on what ESPN thinks of the situation, I'll wait.

Is Roman Polanski a sports figure? :huh:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Is Roman Polanski a sports figure? :huh:

When a post begins the words "this is offtopic" it just might be - stay with me on this - off topic. The point is media narratives, everyone else got it.

Kaiser

Reaction score

She doesn't do the charging, she does the trial. Seriously, do your own homework.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
When a post begins the words "this is offtopic" it just might be - stay with me on this - off topic. The point is media narratives, everyone else got it.

But when a post ends with - stay with me - ESPN hasn't said anything about it, then you've come back on topic because this thread is about the media's response to Hardy's domestic violence situation and posters are trying to point out media hypocrisy. ;)