Peter King nuggets on Dak

Little Jr

Reaction score
Wins, championships, etc.

What have Derek Carr, Stafford, Jimmy G, Cousins, Bortles (another QB paid too much by a team desperate to try to lock him into what they viewed as a bargain or fair contract), etc. won? Shoot, Bortles might be the most accomplished on that list as he actually played in a champ game.

And your comment about Top 5 money is a total strawman. No one arguing against paying Dak now claims or thinks that only Top 5 players get Top 5 money. It happens all the time........... often with limited results, which is why people are arguing that paying Dak that kind of money might not be the wisest move at this point in time.
Wins? PLEASE tell me you aren't one of those guys that say wins are a team stat not a player stat. If you are then you'retalking out of both sides of your mouth. Ormaybe you're one id those guys who think signing them will make them unable to sign others. Not true and look at cap numbers for those team's. Minn is I'm the worst shape and the rest are good or great on the cap numbers.

Dak has accomplished more than Jimmy G, cousins and Stafford. So how do you pay him less than 28m a year ? You say Dak is a mediocre QB but he wins more than all 3 of those guys so how do you pay him less?

It's hard to reset the market but even more so at the QB position. And when there are multiple contracts it's impossible to reset it. 28m+ is the market and it's not going down.

There a a few things that skew the numbers when If comes to top paid QBs and how many made the playoffs . There has been a quite a few, and probably more than there has been in 20 years, good qbs on rookie deals that are getting to the playoffs and winning . Then you have Brady who has won 1/3 of the super bowls the past 19 years while 10 other teams have shared the other 10. All while he's taking huge discounts to where he's not in the top 5 or even 10. So when you look at qbs who made the playoffs that are top 5 paid, and he's not on the list, then you have mahomes, dak, goff, Mitch, Watson, mahomes, Jackson , all on rookie contracts, luck on a former top paid QB contract but no longer is because, you know, that's how it works, rivers on a old top contract, foles as a back up and Breese on a discount deal, it skews the numbers a bit. That's 6 teams that made the playoffs on QB rookie deals(half the teams), former #1 paid contract, 2 former top 5 paid contracts, 2 discount deals and a back up contract. All or at least 4 of the rookies will get 30m+. I'm pretty sure when they do, you'll see 3-5 top paid QBs making the playoffs for some time.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wins? PLEASE tell me you aren't one of those guys that say wins are a team stat not a player stat. If you are then you'retalking out of both sides of your mouth. Ormaybe you're one id those guys who think signing them will make them unable to sign others. Not true and look at cap numbers for those team's. Minn is I'm the worst shape and the rest are good or great on the cap numbers.

Dak has accomplished more than Jimmy G, cousins and Stafford. So how do you pay him less than 28m a year ? You say Dak is a mediocre QB but he wins more than all 3 of those guys so how do you pay him less?

It's hard to reset the market but even more so at the QB position. And when there are multiple contracts it's impossible to reset it. 28m+ is the market and it's not going down.

There a a few things that skew the numbers when If comes to top paid QBs and how many made the playoffs . There has been a quite a few, and probably more than there has been in 20 years, good qbs on rookie deals that are getting to the playoffs and winning . Then you have Brady who has won 1/3 of the super bowls the past 19 years while 10 other teams have shared the other 10. All while he's taking huge discounts to where he's not in the top 5 or even 10. So when you look at qbs who made the playoffs that are top 5 paid, and he's not on the list, then you have mahomes, dak, goff, Mitch, Watson, mahomes, Jackson , all on rookie contracts, luck on a former top paid QB contract but no longer is because, you know, that's how it works, rivers on a old top contract, foles as a back up and Breese on a discount deal, it skews the numbers a bit. That's 6 teams that made the playoffs on QB rookie deals(half the teams), former #1 paid contract, 2 former top 5 paid contracts, 2 discount deals and a back up contract. All or at least 4 of the rookies will get 30m+. I'm pretty sure when they do, you'll see 3-5 top paid QBs making the playoffs for some time.

Here's your disconnect.

I am not saying never pay Dak. I am saying don't pay him an elite contract right now. You have him for one more year on his rookie contract and you have the tag, worst case, for a few more years.

I'd rather have to pay him $35MM next year because he proved to be great in 2019 than pay him $30MM now and he goes out and looks like an average QB in 2019. Then you are stuck paying an average QB a crap ton of money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
not sure if this is related to the response I had to the OP. why bring in Cousings or Garapolo. btw, Garapolo in SF made a huge difference when he was acquired from NE. went on a 7 game win streak, with the same group that had one win prior. he lifted that team. Mahomes been to AFCG. went to over time against the GOAT QB and GOAT coach. wentz has a superbowl ring. goff has been to superbowls… I don't like Winston. I am cold on Mariota. never really liked him
I didn't ask you who you liked or didn't like or who did this or who did that. Initially you said.......

but there lies the difference, given elite options the other QBs win championships and put up 5000 yard season. dak becomes above average....its what you are able to accomplish if you have those type of options at your disposal.

So I listed other young quarterbacks who have elite optionsaround them who don't have rings. So maybe I'm not understanding you so help me out. What QB's were you referring to that have elite options that win championships?

he didn't make jimmy. I never said that it wasn't a symbiotic relationship. I made a general statement, which you are now trying to take out of context. I said, great players also help make coaches. coaches don't do it alone. Michael Jordan was a great player. Jackson was a great coach. together they were fantastic. ….. but with that said, I did mention, when Jimmy didn't have Aikman he couldn't accomplish his vision. in order to accomplish your vision you need the right players. the question is do you have the right vision and right approach.

get it? you Dak lovers are so naïve.
Its not about being naive its just about getting you to make sense of what you're saying. You are contradicting your own statements. All of the smakes no sense to me. So basically your point is that Dak should make Garrett into a great head coach?

See how silly that sounds?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
These false options people keep setting up only make one look silly.

I doubt Risen wants a Carter or Leaf type as our QB. But that doesn't mean, hey, drop your pants and overpay for your QB because oh well, it could be worse.

That's such bizarre logic to me. When the justification of why we need to sign Dak Prescott to a contract that would make him one of the 3-5 highest paid QBs in football is "hey, we could end up with a Ryan Leaf type QB" and "his contract will be lower on the QB pecking order in 3 years", that really doesn't seem like a really strong argument to me.

Well the real argument is that be careful what you wish for. Getting rid of Dak is one thing but getting rid of him without a proper backup plan is moronic. And when people talk about getting rid of Dak.....no one brings up a viable or smart option.

Sydla

Reaction score
Well the real argument is that be careful what you wish for. Getting rid of Dak is one thing but getting rid of him without a proper backup plan is moronic. And when people talk about getting rid of Dak.....no one brings up a viable or smart option.

No one is "wishing" for a worse QB.

What those opposed to signing Dak long term right now are saying don't use the fact you could end up with a worse QB one of the reasons why you end up overpaying for what isn't an elite QB.

And to my knowledge, other than Risen and a really small number of people, no one has suggested getting rid of Dak right now. Most have said don't sign him to a long term deal and let him play out the last year of his deal and then go from there - give him that big deal if he plays well, tag him if a deal can't be worked out, or realize you might need to start looking for a better long term option if he is just average in 2019.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He suggests Dak will mimic Russell Wilson and then says he's not a top 5 QB.

Since you have a little problem understanding what is written I'll try to help. AT THIS TIME, meaning Prescott's 1st 3 seasons he's not been a top 5 QB, but King thinks that THIS season he can have the type of season that could put him in the Wilson range.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
For those who swear he’s not worth it, ask yourself this question: What is the alternative, and are you willing to let Prescott walk away while the Cowboys go the draft-and-develop route in the near future?

Um....not just yes but hell yes.

Plus that is a strawman and false presentation of the only two choices. We could very easily trade Dak. We could very easily franchise him twice. We also don't have to just draft and develop. The vet qb market has rarely been as rich as it has the last few offseasons.

Positioning this as sign Dak or be forced into draft wilderness is nonsense.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

What those opposed to signing Dak long term right now are saying don't use the fact you could end up with a worse QB one of the reasons why you end up overpaying for what isn't an elite QB.

And to my knowledge, other than Risen and a really small number of people, no one has suggested getting rid of Dak right now. Most have said don't sign him to a long term deal and let him play out the last year of his deal and then go from there - give him that big deal if he plays well, tag him if a deal can't be worked out, or realize you might need to start looking for a better long term option if he is just average in 2019.

LOL.....

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Is Dak really worth 25M per year? When Zeke is not around or having a good game, I seldom see Dak carry the team throwing the football. I would let Dak play out the season without an extension, if he performs well and wine he gets franchised and then we can talk about a long term contract.

That would be the way to play it out...but Jerry doesn't want to alienate a certain group of people. :rolleyes:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

All you're suggesting is either wait until after this season and see. If he plays worse than some here want or expect then some here will say release him which put the Cowboys in the gamble of drafting one of the many on a mile long list of QB's that turn out to be busts. Yes they cost as much but will be a bust anyways. Or, you say wait until after this season and if they can't come to a deal tag him which automatically pays him as a top 5 QB whether he's in the top 5 or not. Since Prescott isn't anywhere close to be as bad as some here think he is, the smart thing to do is work out a reasonable contract with him now and not put the Cowboys in a much more difficult position after this season.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There is somewhat of a divide on the forums as there are some who just will not submit to the idea of Prescott getting signed and continuing his career as the franchise QB.
Most here get that he's legit and the vast majority of experts, analysts, coaches, players etc. understand he's going to get a deal.
It's just not worth worrying about, it's going to happen regardless of what any of us think.

That's exactly what the media wants you to believe...yet..the majority damn well know he's a fraud....and doesn't deserve this contract. :banghead:

Sydla

Reaction score
All you're suggesting is either wait until after this season and see. If he plays worse than some here want or expect then some here will say release him which put the Cowboys in the gamble of drafting one of the many on a mile long list of QB's that turn out to be busts. Yes they cost as much but will be a bust anyways. Or, you say wait until after this season and if they can't come to a deal tag him which automatically pays him as a top 5 QB whether he's in the top 5 or not. Since Prescott isn't anywhere close to be as bad as some here think he is, the smart thing to do is work out a reasonable contract with him now and not put the Cowboys in a much more difficult position after this season.

What's reasonable?

Little Jr

Reaction score
Here's your disconnect.

I am not saying never pay Dak. I am saying don't pay him an elite contract right now. You have him for one more year on his rookie contract and you have the tag, worst case, for a few more years.

I'd rather have to pay him $35MM next year because he proved to be great in 2019 than pay him $30MM now and he goes out and looks like an average QB in 2019. Then you are stuck paying an average QB a crap ton of money.
Here's your disconnect , the money won't go down . At minimum it will stay the same . The ONLY way it goes down is if hr TOTALLY flops. Like I said before , a 2017 type season won't make it drop. Although you think that was horrible season for him, it wasn't. It wasn't good but not horrible. A lot of things went into that season, injuries, Zeke suspension, soph slump ect.

The other disconnect, not yours but ours, we just disagree on where Dak is. I think he's proven he's a franchise QB and i see no signs of him going down and all the signs he's going to get better. I don't see him dropping so I dont see the money dropping. I he goes out and this team was to win a super bowl, 35m won't get it done. It will be north of that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's your disconnect , the money won't go down . At minimum it will stay the same . The ONLY way it goes down is if hr TOTALLY flops. Like I said before , a 2017 type season won't make it drop. Although you think that was horrible season for him, it wasn't. It wasn't good but not horrible. A lot of things went into that season, injuries, Zeke suspension, soph slump ect.

The other disconnect, not yours but ours, we just disagree on where Dak is. I think he's proven he's a franchise QB and i see no signs of him going down and all the signs he's going to get better. I don't see him dropping so I dont see the money dropping. I he goes out and this team was to win a super bowl, 35m won't get it done. It will be north of that.

But a 2017 type season should make the franchise think twice about handing a QB who has had two average to below average seasons out of four a $150MM contract. I am not about trying to lower the contract if he plays poorly. I am trying to save myself from having made a significant financial commitment to a QB who shows himself to be more average than great.

That's the point. If Dak goes out and struggles in 2019, the Cowboys should really be thinking long and hard about paying him a ridiculous QB contract. All waiting does is cost you a bit more money and minimizes the downside.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
When he got a #1 WR.

Dak didn't hoist this team on his shoulders himself at 3-5 and "will" them to the division title.
There is only one good to great QB in the NFL that doesnt need a number 1 WR. And Dak's number 1 WR last season in Oakland was ballin......no wait

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You write like you’re an uneducated POS.

Heh. I’ve got you pegged.
I refuse to believe you are this dumb. no one in the world is this dumb, I mean I have seen chimpanzee's in zoo who are smarter, so I am guessing you are above a chimpanzee...but then again I haven't seen a picture of you so I maybe wrong....but again, its just so dumb....there is no words to describe this level of stupidity....

Sydla

Reaction score
There is only one good to great QB in the NFL that doesnt need a number 1 WR. And Dak's number 1 WR last season in Oakland was ballin......no wait

I am confused by that last point. Are you saying that Cooper only became great because he played with Dak?

The reality is Oakland was a dysfunctional mess and playing for a QB that was totally lost. Cooper would have rebounded playing for a bunch of teams if he had gotten traded there.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I am confused by that last point. Are you saying that Cooper only became great because he played with Dak?

The reality is Oakland was a dysfunctional mess and playing for a QB that was totally lost. Cooper would have rebounded playing for a bunch of teams if he had gotten traded there.
What were they calling the Cowboys after 8 games last season? You're a Cowboys fan; you knew that argument wasnt going to fly.