Peter King: Thoughts from Cowboys-Chargers Practices

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
SAN DIEGO--Cowboy thoughts 1: (Dallas here to practice v Chargers Mon-Tue) BCarr, Clairborne set to start opener v Eli in 15 days.

Cowboy thoughts 2: Carr to me: "This is why I came here, for games like this." RobR putting Carr on same island as Rex has Revis.

Cowboy thoughts 3: Witten still relaxing w/lacerated spleen. Big checkup in Dallas next Tues for him. 50-50 if he plays vs Jints.

Cowboy thoughts 4: Cows to spend 3 hrs with Navy Seals Wed before returning to Texas ... Ware's having best camp as Cowboy, some think.

RT @JGaydoscik: Thoughts on why Jones refuses to upgrade at center and add veteran receiver? ... Can't do it all in 1 offseason.

--------------------------------------
Stalking his page for more observations...

JBS

Reaction score
Carr playing Revis style is exciting

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I hate the argument that you can't do it all in one season. That may true if you are tight against the cap but that excuse falls very flat when a team has $7 million in current cap space. They have plenty of room for a real center.

JBS

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4679211 said:
I hate the argument that you can't do it all in one season. That may true if you are tight against the cap but that excuse falls very flat when a team has $7 million in current cap space. They have plenty of room for a real center.

Yeah! Bc cap room is all it takes to find a new center

Dial it up

1-800-Center

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Cowboys22;4679211 said:

We could've at least drafted one...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys22;4679211 said:

The proper response is you start with the most important issues and that wasn't CB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So King didn't say much......this forum could have told him that...and more....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jazzcat22;4679222 said:
So King didn't say much......this forum could have told him that...and more....
Well, these thoughts are from his twitter. I expect he'll post a more in-depth article tomorrow.

Troll the News Zone in the next couple of days...

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:
The proper response is you start with the most important issues and that wasn't CB.

I agree that our o-line is in need of an upgrade...but c'mon

who would we have at CB to start the season if we didn't make CB a priority?

Scandrick, CJ wilson, and mario butler...lmao

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

I'm almost starting to think you don't watch the Cowboys play.

IMO the secondary has been the biggest need over the past two seasons.

Terence Newman was a terrible corner last couple of years and Jenkins isn't even practicing yet.

Do you think those problems get fixed with a new center or a high priced guard?

My guess is that if Dallas went out and did exactly what you're saying they should've done you'd probably be moaning and groaning about them not addressing the secondary.

RS12

Reaction score
The propper response was poor drafting in the past left the team with multiple holes. Both positions needed to be addressed.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;4679224 said:
Well, these thoughts are from his twitter. I expect he'll post a more in-depth article tomorrow.

Troll the News Zone in the next couple of days...

He may have more next week in his MMQB on SI.com too
I usually check that out.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4679212 said:
Yeah! Bc cap room is all it takes to find a new center

Dial it up

1-800-Center

There were several centers available in free agency this year buts that's not really the point. The only reason to argue that you can't do it all in one year is because of the cap. If you have $7 million in cap space then that arguement makes no sense at all, does it?

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

which O Lineman in your mind would have prevented our secondary from getting destroyed in crunch time last season?.......we all know you build a team from the inside out but when you have a unit on your team that is clearly the number one reason your entire season was a wash....you deal with it immediately ....and they did....and id bet next offseason they will dramatically improve the O Line...then you can whine nonstop about something else

dstew60105

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

Our biggest problem last yearwas pass defense. A center wouldnt have stopped Eli from throwing for 400 and 5 TD'S on us. You can't be as clueless as your posts make you.

burmafrd

Reaction score
dadymat;4679316 said:
which O Lineman in your mind would have prevented our secondary from getting destroyed in crunch time last season?.......we all know you build a team from the inside out but when you have a unit on your team that is clearly the number one reason your entire season was a wash....you deal with it immediately ....and they did....and id bet next offseason they will dramatically improve the O Line...then you can whine nonstop about something else

someone else who convienently forgot all about Romo getting worked last season
19 Sacks in December alone

When you have a franchize QB your FIRST duty is to see to it that he has decent protection.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cowboys22;4679290 said:
If you have $7 million in cap space then that arguement makes no sense at all, does it?

Like $6 million didn't clear until june 1rst (cutting Terrence Newman), so that excuse makes sense unless you know of a center we could've signed for $1 million or less.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys22;4679290 said:
There were several centers available in free agency this year buts that's not really the point. The only reason to argue that you can't do it all in one year is because of the cap. If you have $7 million in cap space then that arguement makes no sense at all, does it?

And the $7 mil number is bogus because from the middle of April until June 1st the Cowboys had diddley-pooh for cap space. The big reason they have so much now is because Newman was released on June 1st.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Risen Star;4679216 said:

I disagree. CB was the biggest need, not a big enough need that we needed to throw $50 million at Carr and trade up for Claiborne, but it was the biggest need.

If free agency was after the draft we may not have signed Carr, but I can't say that Dallas would've matched the money Nicks got from TB and there was no real intrest in Grubbs.

And FWIW, I think Bernadeau and Livings will be a huge upgrade at both guard spots.