Peter King with Jerry about Det Roy Williams

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
You going to pay Roy Franchise money? He's not worth it AND a first rounder

dest

Reaction score
How many times has Jerry said something to the media and done the exact opposite?

sjordan6

Reaction score
How many times has Jerry said something to the media and done the exact opposite?

Rarely...JJ normally would comment that he would add any player that he felt would help his team but if he is not interested and says he is not interested then it usually turns out that HE IS NOT INTERESTED!

So, for all you guys who are still holding out hope for RW, it doesnt look good. Because if Williams was available and JJ wanted him then he would be here.

Now maybe this is one of those times that he is bluffing to posture a little to see if he could drive the price down some. Maybe trade a 2nd rounder and a couple of players for him. Maybe RW the SS and Carpenter and a 2nd. ( maybe throw in Austin or a Hurd)

Spectre

Reaction score
Jerry Jones Sunday afternoon: "We have no plans to trade for a receiver before the trading deadline.'' No plans? So it's not going to happen? "No,'' he said. "No trade for a receiver.'' The deadline is a week from tomorrow. Detroit, looks like you're going to have to swallowRoy Williams in this lost season, or find someone else from which to get a low first-rounder or high two.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/10/05/week5/1.html

great. whatever.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2313973 said:
Jerry Jones Sunday afternoon: "We have no plans to trade for a receiver before the trading deadline.'' No plans? So it's not going to happen? "No,'' he said. "No trade for a receiver.'' The deadline is a week from tomorrow. Detroit, looks like you're going to have to swallowRoy Williams in this lost season, or find someone else from which to get a low first-rounder or high two.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/10/05/week5/1.html

great. whatever.

Whine and complain all you want-it seems like nothing will satisfy anyone.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Isn't Roy Williams a Free Agent after this year. Why give up draft picks when you can give up no draft picks just by waiting a few more months. And I'm pretty sure we will be on the top of his target teams. Also, I know everybody thinks we're in a "win now" mode but truth is, we'll probably be just as capable of winning a super bowl the next two years as we are this year.

Boysboy

Reaction score
TheEnigma;2314022 said:
Isn't Roy Williams a Free Agent after this year. Why give up draft picks when you can give up no draft picks just by waiting a few more months. And I'm pretty sure we will be on the top of his target teams. Also, I know everybody thinks we're in a "win now" mode but truth is, we'll probably be just as capable of winning a super bowl the next two years as we are this year.

*sigh* That's what I've been trying to tell everyone here. Of course, most people here have this boneheaded idea that Jerry won't do it to appease TO's fragile ego, etc, etc.

But, of course, they forgot how the Lions asked for DEMARCUS WARE in return last April. Yah-they're going to want a good bit.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheEnigma;2314022 said:
Yes.

It's called hedging your bets.

We have 12 Draft picks next year. Are all 12 of them going to make this team? I highly doubt it. So why waste some of them when we can grab some insurance right now?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2312517 said:
Have you ever considered that no matter what the Lions might be saying publicly about what they would take, they might be saying something differently behind the scenes?

Have you ever considered that Jerry might be saying that in order to try and drive the trade price down?

Just something to think about.

Well put sir.

Jerry throws out alot of BS if it will help the Cowboys in any way. I'm not saying discredit information, but take reports like this about Jerry with a grain of salt.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2314030 said:
why do you ask?

Are you saying Roy is worth a 1ST ROUNDER, Big Money, AND a couple of our players? And this despite him being an UFA next year?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2314029 said:
Yes.

It's called hedging your bets.

We have 12 Draft picks next year. Are all 12 of them going to make this team? I highly doubt it. So why waste some of them when we can grab some insurance right now?

When was the last time our 1st rounder DIDN'T make the team? As well as our 2nd and 3rd rounders?

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Aven8;2312497 said:
From Peter King on his MMQB

3. Dallas (4-1). Jerry Jones Sunday afternoon: "We have no plans to trade for a receiver before the trading deadline.'' No plans? So it's not going to happen? "No,'' he said. "No trade for a receiver.'' The deadline is a week from tomorrow. Detroit, looks like you're going to have to swallow Roy Williams in this lost season, or find someone else from which to get a low first-rounder or high two.

If this is true then Jerry is as blind as Wade. If he's not going to do it because he is worried about TO's psyche then shame on him. I really hope this is a smokescreen. Jerry will be going into the new stadium with another loss in the playoffs. Like I've stated before, Roy won't put us over the top, but he sure can help. If we don't make a move expect to see the same coverage and problems in the passing game for the rest of the year!
If Jerry really means this, he is can forget it for this year. when your leading reciever is getting 2 catches in 2 of the last three games.you are in trouble at reciever.Crayton and Austin can not get it done. face the facts Jerry, or lose again this year.

Jake0

Reaction score
We need the insurance policy THIS YEAR. If TO goes down, we are screwed. If we get Roy, we still have a chance. TO does not have a good history of staying healthy especially down the stretch. Plus it obviously makes our offense more potent and the roll all your coverage towards T.O. won't be as effective anymore. Our first is pretty much locked in being a very late first and while in the late first you still have lots of talent available, we have enough talent right now to not really care if we miss a late 1st rounder for one year. Win now, we can worry about next year later.

Besides.. we already have 50 million 1st rounders invested on the defense, that is our main problem, and saving the pick for yet another... I'm afraid won't do much. The talent we have needs to step up and/or be coached better. I'd rather spend our 1st on Roy for an insurance policy this year than spend a 1st on a late round WR next year which is quite a huge gamble.

We could use a 1st rounder obviously.. our DEs suck, our MLBs are mediocre or old, maybe a replacement for kosier..? Usually really good MLBs and guards available in the late first but... I don't think anyone we'd get there would be more important than the impact Roy would give us this year.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Why would Jerry open up to Peter King, one of SI's biggest writers, and a panel member on "Football Night in America" and say "Yes, I am thinking about making a trade for a receiver" or "We are going to try and get Roy Williams"

People know nothing now adays.

Spectre

Reaction score
Boysboy;2314034 said:
Are you saying Roy is worth a 1ST ROUNDER, Big Money, AND a couple of our players? And this despite him being an UFA next year?
I never said any of that.

I think a 1st and a reasonable contract or a 2nd and a player. Something in that realm is worth it.

But the real deal is, if we don't acquire him via trade, we won't acquire him because Jerry is too comfortable to pay the highest price that will be offered to RW in the offseason. I think if you trade for him you might be able to pay him big but not huge money. Once he tests the free agent waters, he's gonna find that he can be overpaid by a lot of desperate teams.

I personally believe it takes a couple years to groom a rookie WR properly for a big role so if you want one in the draft next year you may be gambling with adding to this team's current success. To me, we need a guy who can play immediately and strike while the iron is hot. We won't be this stacked in a couple years.