Peter King with Jerry about Det Roy Williams

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Roy Williams is probably not going to be a Cowboy and I think folks need to come to grips with that.

This team has Pro Bowlers at every level on offense and have more than enough weapons to win a Super Bowl and last time I checked they were 4-1, with a loss coming from another team that is 4-1.

Personally, I think it is time to look towards the players and the coaching staff with regards to the fear that we won't win the Super Bowl without Roy Williams when we have more talent on offense than just about any team in the NFL.

If we don't have success in the Playoffs, it would be extremely foolish to blame it on the fact that we didn't have Roy Williams.

silver

Reaction score
please trade our first rounder for RW Jerry! that way next year you won't be tempted to draft yet another linebacker with it. If we spend another first rounder on a linebacker I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH!

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2314167 said:
I never said any of that.

I think a 1st and a reasonable contract or a 2nd and a player. Something in that realm is worth it.

But the real deal is, if we don't acquire him via trade, we won't acquire him because Jerry is too comfortable to pay the highest price that will be offered to RW in the offseason. I think if you trade for him you might be able to pay him big but not huge money. Once he tests the free agent waters, he's gonna find that he can be overpaid by a lot of desperate teams.

I personally believe it takes a couple years to groom a rookie WR properly for a big role so if you want one in the draft next year you may be gambling with adding to this team's current success. To me, we need a guy who can play immediately and strike while the iron is hot. We won't be this stacked in a couple years.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble, from what I've been reading-NO GM in their right minds will give up nothing more than a 3rd for him...for the reason being that he's in his contract year, and there's no guarantee to resign him.

StylisticS

Reaction score
silver;2314179 said:
please trade our first rounder for RW Jerry! that way next year you won't be tempted to draft yet another linebacker with it. If we spend another first rounder on a linebacker I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH!

:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2314035 said:
When was the last time our 1st rounder DIDN'T make the team? As well as our 2nd and 3rd rounders?
That is completely irrelevant. How many of our 1st rounders in 2008 are starters? How many from 2007? How many from 2006?

You have to go clear back to 2005 and Ware and Spears to find starters from the first round.

Can you guarantee me 2009 is different? How? Especially given it is likely a late 1st rounder?

From 2005 through 2008 Drafts in the first three rounds we have taken 11 players. Only two of them start for this team. 9 of them still contribute. Only Fasano and James Marten are no longer with the team.

It is entirely about contribution, not about making the team.

Roy Williams would start almost immediately and provide us with an Offense so diverse no team could match up.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2314172 said:
Roy Williams is probably not going to be a Cowboy and I think folks need to come to grips with that.

This team has Pro Bowlers at every level on offense and have more than enough weapons to win a Super Bowl and last time I checked they were 4-1, with a loss coming from another team that is 4-1.

Personally, I think it is time to look towards the players and the coaching staff with regards to the fear that we won't win the Super Bowl without Roy Williams when we have more talent on offense than just about any team in the NFL.

If we don't have success in the Playoffs, it would be extremely foolish to blame it on the fact that we didn't have Roy Williams.
Here's the bottom line.Crayton is not getting it done at the number two. he cant get open or catch the ball. Austin is unproven.this is the reason we are seeing Owens production going down. and it will happen with witten if we dont get these guys some help.if weare going to beat teams like the Giants and Commanders. we need help at WR.stop fooling yourself.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I don't believe you can trade for him if you don't know if you can afford him in the future. His contract is running out. Further, I doubt the Lions have granted anyone permission to negotiate a long term contract with RW since they are still saying they are not going to trade him. You just CANNOT trade a 1st for a player without knowing whether you can keep him for the future.

It's better to let him become a FA and then see if you can afford him unless you get permission to negotiate.

BigBoy63

Reaction score
I think they need to trade Barbie Carpenter and either a first or a second and Bring him in and then we will hace an effective offense.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Randy Moss went to New England with a 4th. I don't think anyone will argue that Roy Williams is better than Randy Moss.

With that said, the Lions need starters...as much as they can get. I think it is safe to say that Bobbie Carpenter isn't going to amount to anything on this team. Time to cut our losses and let him go to a 4-3 where he can start and contribute. I would send Carpenter, Hatcher, and a conditional 4th that can turn into a 3rd for Williams.

I think that is more than adequate and fair. The Lions get 2 immediate starters on defense and a high draft pick for someone that will most likely leave after this year anyway.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2314424 said:
Keep in mind that Randy Moss went to New England with a 4th. I don't think anyone will argue that Roy Williams is better than Randy Moss.

With that said, the Lions need starters...as much as they can get. I think it is safe to say that Bobbie Carpenter isn't going to amount to anything on this team. Time to cut our losses and let him go to a 4-3 where he can start and contribute. I would send Carpenter, Hatcher, and a conditional 4th that can turn into a 3rd for Williams.

I think that is more than adequate and fair. The Lions get 2 immediate starters on defense and a high draft pick for someone that will most likely leave after this year anyway.
That is irrelevant.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2314450 said:
That is irrelevant.

Yep-Moss dropped his OWN stock value as he quit on the Raiders long before. That's not the case with Roy in Detroit.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Hostile;2314450 said:
That is irrelevant.
I think you misunderstood where I was going with that. I am saying that we should not overpay for Williams. If we can get away with two fringe players and a mid-round draft pick, do it. No need to sell the farm.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Wes Welker went for a #2
Moss went for a #4 with all the baggage. In retro in the right situation Moss is fine.

Moss and TO are never problems when its going good. It's when adversity starts happening they melt down moreso.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Hostile;2312547 said:
There was a farmer had a dog and bingo was his name-o.

You know Hos, you've been unwavering in your anticipation of/hope for this trade for quite some time. I too have really been hoping for this to happen all along. You seem to have this optimism...as if you know something and it gives me hope for some reason. I hope you're right man.

Spectre

Reaction score
BIGDen;2314673 said:
You know Hos, you've been unwavering in your anticipation of/hope for this trade for quite some time. I too have really been hoping for this to happen all along. You seem to have this optimism...as if you know something and it gives me hope for some reason. I hope you're right man.
Hos's optimism will only let you down.

:(

Trust me.

:eek::