Peyton Hillis

BigDave95

Reaction score
I haven't seen his name mentioned much on here. What does everyone think?

He is a great lead blocker. He's not the biggest and doesn't just destroy the defenders but he understands angles and leverage and was a big reason for the success Darren McFadden and Felix Jones had at Arkansas. When he went out late in the '06 season, the Hog rushing game fell apart without him.

He is an EXCELLENT receiver out of the backfield. He led the Razorbacks in receptions, yards, and TD's this season. He had the best hands on the team.

Highlight film:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

65 yard TD against LSU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y5alq9LRUNk

I'm a big fan of Anderson and there'd still be a spot for him on the roster. But Hillis just adds another dimension to the offense. He's another weapon for Garrett to use either receiving out of the backield or as a rusher.

I'd like to see us draft both a speed back to complement MB3 and also add Hillis in the late 2nd or 3rd.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I really like him. David Lee said he had superior, "Terry Glenn-like" hands. And if you've watched him, he really does.

I always thought of him as more of an H-back because he's such a good receiver, but in the Senior Bowl he looked like he had a better burst carrying the ball than I remembered.

Only problem is that I don't think he really fits our system. I bet Parcells would love him as a Richie Anderson-type FB that can run a little and catch.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BigDave95;1930369 said:
I haven't seen his name mentioned much on here. What does everyone think?

He is a great lead blocker. He's not the biggest and doesn't just destroy the defenders but he understands angles and leverage and was a big reason for the success Darren McFadden and Felix Jones had at Arkansas. When he went out late in the '06 season, the Hog rushing game fell apart without him.

He is an EXCELLENT receiver out of the backfield. He led the Razorbacks in receptions, yards, and TD's this season. He had the best hands on the team.

Highlight film:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

65 yard TD against LSU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y5alq9LRUNk

I'm a big fan of Anderson and there'd still be a spot for him on the roster. But Hillis just adds another dimension to the offense. He's another weapon for Garrett to use either receiving out of the backield or as a rusher.

I'd like to see us draft both a speed back to complement MB3 and also add Hillis in the late 2nd or 3rd.

He's pretty darn good from what I have seen but I'd prefer the guy from West Virginia.

PosterChild

Reaction score
He's the goods. He was often injured at Ar and overshadowed by McFadden and Jones, but he is the most versatile FB to come out in many moons. He's surprisingly nimble and, yes, his hands are superb. I would like him to be a little taller to take on D lineman and be an overall force in run blocking... His assets > negatives easily, though.

BigDave95

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1930387 said:
He's pretty darn good from what I have seen but I'd prefer the guy from West Virginia.

Schmitt is great but he's completely one-dimensional. I don't see him as that much different from what we already have in Anderson.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
one of the best all around college football players I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He'll have a great 10+ year career in the NFL if he can stay on the field.

BigDave95

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1930415 said:
one of the best all around college football players I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He'll have a great 10+ year career in the NFL if he can stay on the field.

He has the potential to be the best FB in the league...soon. So many people just think of a FB as a throw away player but when you can have a real weapon back there, it's something that other defenses have to account for which can open up other areas for the offense.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BigDave95;1930394 said:
Schmitt is great but he's completely one-dimensional. I don't see him as that much different from what we already have in Anderson.

IMO We need more of a Moose type of FB and Schmitt is the closest I have seen in a while. I wouldn't mind drafting him and keeping Anderson. I like having fb's that seem a little off.....if you know what I mean. :D

conner01

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1930415 said:
i agree. he has the best hands i've seen on any fb ever. he is a matchup nightmare when he is out in patterns.he is an ok blocker, but a tremendous reciever. i would love to have him but taking a fb this year may be too much f a luxury having taken one last year and he is not going to fall very far in the draft

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1930387 said:

If we draft ANY FBs I'd want it to be either Hillis or the WV guy (Schmidt?).

Other than that, just go with Hoyte and/or Anderson.

Although Hillis/Schmidt and Anderson would be nice.

SPHawk

Reaction score
BigDave95;1930394 said:

Completely one dimensional? How do you figure this? :rolleyes:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
SPHawk;1930526 said:
Completely one dimensional? How do you figure this? :rolleyes:

He doesn't know. That's the worst player assessment I've ever read. SCHMITT is the most versatile FB to come out in years, not Hillis. He's the nastiest blocker, a tremendous receiver out of the backfield (and lined up at TE). The guy can even punt for crissakes. Oh yeah, he can run too. He's got a top gear that is extremely rare for a man his size.

No disrespect to Hillis, as I think he's a fine FB...and wouldn't mind seeing him wear a star either, but he's not the talent that Schmitt is IMO.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
tomson75;1930567 said:
He doesn't know. That's the worst player assessment I've ever read. SCHMITT is the most versatile FB to come out in years, not Hillis. He's the nastiest blocker, a tremendous receiver out of the backfield (and lined up at TE). The guy can even punt for crissakes. Oh yeah, he can run too. He's got a top gear that is extremely rare for a man his size.

No disrespect to Hillis, as I think he's a fine FB...and wouldn't mind seeing him wear a star either, but he's not the talent that Schmitt is IMO.

Either guy would be fine and a definite upgrade to what we have ... and that's no knock on Anderson.

I also think either would fill the role Garrett wants the fullback to have in this offense - good lead blocker but with the ability to be a quality receiving target and even take a few carries. Garrett mentioned that he wanted to reincorporate the fullback last year when he came to Dallas, but he it appears to me he had to use two tight ends more than he planned because of Anderson's greenness, then Anderson's injury, and Hoyte's inability to do much more than block.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tomson75;1930567 said:

I think Schmidt is better, but Hillis is a better reciever and runner. Schmidt is a better blocker though.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;1930709 said:
I think Schmidt is better, but Hillis is a better reciever and runner. Schmidt is a better blocker though.

Fair enough. IMO, Hillis is only marginally better at running and receiving...if at all. WVU thought highly enough of his talents to play him at TE on several occasions...it's no weakness for either player. Both players are exceptionally fast for their size and position, and that is an issue that needs to be addressed on our team. I'd like either one, but I think Owen's skills and heart are unmatched. It wouldn't surprise me to see him off the board before our 2nd round pick.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
tomson75;1930732 said:
Fair enough. IMO, Hillis is only marginally better at running and receiving...if at all. WVU thought highly enough of his talents to play him at TE on several occasions...it's no weakness for either player. Both players are exceptionally fast for their size and position, and that is an issue that needs to be addressed on our team. I'd like either one, but I think Owen's skills and heart are unmatched. It wouldn't surprise me to see him off the board before our 2nd round pick.

i love schmitt and hillis...

i'll take either one anyday of the week.

what's happening tomson?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
lane;1930752 said:
i love schmitt and hillis...

i'll take either one anyday of the week.

what's happening tomson?

Not much Lane...avoiding the fact that I have to wake up for work at 4 am tomorrow. I need my beauty sleep. :eek::

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
tomson75;1930759 said:
Not much Lane...avoiding the fact that I have to wake up for work at 4 am tomorrow. I need my beauty sleep. :eek::

4 am can go to hell..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tomson75;1930732 said:

No doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them were off the board before our second round pick.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I would take Hillis or Schmitt over the FB's on the roster right now because both are better players right now.

I think Hillis has a little more wiggle though and Schmitt is probably a better blocker. Both are excellent receivers.

Was really looking forward to seeing them in the Senior Bowl and it was a shame Schmitt got dinged up and could not play. He injured a knee and I have not heard about the extent of the injury yet.

Anyone got an update on Schmitt?