PFF: Clowney wants to go to Eagles or Seahawks

jujoboys

Reaction score
He will be an Eagle by the weekend

Gosh, I sure hope so. This move would drain their salary cap down to $2.7 million with only $8 million projected for next year. They already converted just about every salary they could into a bonus this year just to get Wentz and some of the other contracts done. I would love to see their salary cap hit for $16 million this year for an underachiever that thinks he needs paid like JJ Watt. Watt had 74.5 sacks in his first 5 years compared to 29 sacks by Clowney.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Ha ha! "Amazing on paper stats...".
I would like to see these amazing stats!
You can't physically see them on TV which why it's called a "paper stat"

You hand someone a sheet of paper that says "this 26 year old #1 pick has 3 straight pro bowls and is 2x NFL top 100 at the 2nd most valued position in the sport" you would think holy **** this dude is amazing

You actually follow him as a player and watch him you go "he's a really good starter but not elite and not worth at his moment a highend contract" which is the dilemma Houston is facing.

Flashy accolades but not quite a highend player. Type of player that often gets overpaid

Last edited:

Altestic

Reaction score
Gosh, I sure hope so. This move would drain their salary cap down to $2.7 million with only $8 million projected for next year. They already converted just about every salary they could into a bonus this year just to get Wentz and some of the other contracts done. I would love to see their salary cap hit for $16 million this year for an underachiever that thinks he needs paid like JJ Watt. Watt had 74.5 sacks in his first 5 years compared to 29 sacks by Clowney.
They can lower his hit in the short term. Peters is gone after this year. They can also cut ties with some of their older expensive guys next spring, like McLeod and Cox.

Sydla

Reaction score
Miami is the favorite.

Because they have publicly shown interest.

It almost seems inevitable (and our luck) tha he ends up in Philly.

There is chatter he can be had for a mid round pick and an OL. Philly can spare that to give them the best front four in football, without question.

jujoboys

Reaction score
They can lower his hit in the short term. Peters is gone after this year. They can also cut ties with some of their older expensive guys next spring, like McLeod and Cox.

They can't lower Clowney's cap hit in the short term. Clowney is beyond being able to negotiate his contract this year. No matter what team he plays for, Clowney is on a 1 yr $15.9 million contract with a cap hit of $15.9 million. He can't do a new contract until the new league year begins in 2020.

Also, Jason Peters and Rodney McLeod are free agents next year so they do not help the CAP situation for them next year. You can't cut them next year and save money next year.

Cox is not old. He is 28 years old and they would only save $4 million in CAP space to cut him next year. They would be stupid to cut one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL. Cox is 10 times better than Clowney.

They could cut Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Brooks, Malcolm Jenkins, and Nigel Bradham in 2020 to get some cap relief. However, that creates dead cap space. They could also advance salaries into bonuses for some players in 2020 but that just creates more issues down the road. In my opinion, making a move for Clowney would not be a good move for the Eagles. I think he is overrated and it would put them in an unnecessary salary cap crunch. They would only have $2.7 million of CAP space left to make roster moves throughout the season. Leaves them very little wiggle room for replacing guys with injuries. Plus I don't think Clowney puts them over the top.

Sydla

Reaction score
They can't lower Clowney's cap hit in the short term. Clowney is beyond being able to negotiate his contract this year. No matter what team he plays for, Clowney is on a 1 yr $15.9 million contract with a cap hit of $15.9 million. He can't do a new contract until the new league year begins in 2020.

Also, Jason Peters and Rodney McLeod are free agents next year so they do not help the CAP situation for them next year. You can't cut them next year and save money next year.

Cox is not old. He is 28 years old and they would only save $4 million in CAP space to cut him next year. They would be stupid to cut one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL. Cox is 10 times better than Clowney.

They could cut Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Brooks, Malcolm Jenkins, and Nigel Bradham in 2020 to get some cap relief. However, that creates dead cap space. They could also advance salaries into bonuses for some players in 2020 but that just creates more issues down the road. In my opinion, making a move for Clowney would not be a good move for the Eagles. I think he is overrated and it would put them in an unnecessary salary cap crunch. They would only have $2.7 million of CAP space left to make roster moves throughout the season. Leaves them very little wiggle room for replacing guys with injuries. Plus I don't think Clowney puts them over the top.

LOL.

He really said they could cut Cox to save cap space?

If the Eagles stupidly cut Cox, I would hope Jerry would be front and center to sign him in FA.

kskboys

Reaction score
You guys are nuts!!!!!

Clowney is a stud. Dude has panned out in a major way after a slow start. Can't judge a player by counting sacks.

Sydla

Reaction score
You guys are nuts!!!!!

Clowney is a stud. Dude has panned out in a major way after a slow start. Can't judge a player by counting sacks.

He is very, very good. And he seems to have matured as he's been in the league. Philly getting him would be a huge move and could be a division deciding type acquisition IMO.

So let's hope Miami gets him or Seattle jumps into the mix.

kskboys

Reaction score
He is very, very good. And he seems to have matured as he's been in the league. Philly getting him would be a huge move and could be a division deciding type acquisition IMO.

So let's hope Miami gets him or Seattle jumps into the mix.
I personally think Clowney would be better in a 4-3. He may think so too, might be why he wants to go to Philly or SEA, both of whom run a 4-3.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Clowney basically has final say making him cheap.

I’m predicting something like Corey Clement and a 3rd if they get him. If they want o-line it will be Mailata or Vaitai, no way André Dillard is involved,

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
I'm sure. Just surprised the Texans are willing to part with a 1st round pick in addition to Clowney.

They’re stuck. Clowney has basically created a no trade clause for himself by refusing to sign the tag. The trade offer to Mia shows how stuck they are. I’m sure Seattle and Philly see this and are offering far less,

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players are such babies these days. Give him his binky and shut him up.