PFF: DLaw projected new contract, 6 years, $126M, $60M guaranteed

aria

Reaction score
Taco definitely has hurt the team, but it's the team's fault for picking him instead of TJ Watt. Idiots. Marinelli, that's on you!
How is it on Marinelli, he would be the last person to assign the blame to. I thought McClay was the genius for all the good picks, Jerry was the sly drunken fox who gets some credit for the risks that work out and JG gets the blame for all the bad picks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How is it on Marinelli, he would be the last person to assign the blame to. I thought McClay was the genius for all the good picks, Jerry was the sly drunken fox who gets some credit for the risks that work out and JG gets the blame for all the bad picks.
I heard Marinelli was the one who pushed to draft Taco.

InTheZone

Reaction score
But seriously I don't think JG gets any credit or blame for draft picks. I feel like it's on McClay and the Joneses except for when they grab TEs, that's on JG.

John813

Reaction score
Taco definitely has hurt the team, but it's the team's fault for picking him instead of TJ Watt. Idiots. Marinelli, that's on you!

This is year 3. For the Cowboys sake I hope the light bulb turns on this training camp. Especially if we franchise tag D-Law again.
Not sure all the blame can go just on Rod. I remember seeing quotes from the Jones duo and Garrett about being excited on Taco and how he had the build/size they wanted at end. Maybe that was pushed by Rod, or maybe it was a think tank idea.

Edit, found an ESPN article which wrote that Leon Lett and Rod really liked him in their meetings.
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...es-cowboys-as-his-best-fit-to-reach-potential

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Bingo!!!!!!!! you could have easily locked him up @ an average $16-17M. This is what waiting for another year cost. I have no problem this is at all. Like I've said in a few threads, these players play 4-5 years on rookies deals for money far less than their value coz of CBA rookie wage scale. When the time comes for teams to pay the piper, many want them at a reduced rate. A good example is Barley and Zeke. Hard to argue their production isn't right in line with best players at their position but they're stuck on a cheap rookie wage scale contract. Just me, but it's why I have a hard time understanding why fans get upset when time to pay their true value.

I feel his price should go down from what it wouldve been last year. Showed hes not as dominant and hes hurt again. I'd still only offer him 16-17 and that's with ignoring his past.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is year 3. For the Cowboys sake I hope the light bulb turns on this training camp. Especially if we franchise tag D-Law again.
Not sure all the blame can go just on Rod. I remember seeing quotes from the Jones duo and Garrett about being excited on Taco and how he had the build/size they wanted at end. Maybe that was pushed by Rod, or maybe it was a think tank idea.

Edit, found an ESPN article which wrote that Leon Lett and Rod really liked him in their meetings.
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...es-cowboys-as-his-best-fit-to-reach-potential
Nice article find. I remember reading back then how Marinelli truly pushed for the Taco pick. That's on him.

aria

Reaction score
I heard Marinelli was the one who pushed to draft Taco.
But seriously I don't think JG gets any credit or blame for draft picks. I feel like it's on McClay and the Joneses except for when they grab TEs, that's on JG.
That’s my point, I don’t think anyone knows who the hell is responsible for what when it comes to recent/current draft picks with the exception of the “risk” picks that have Jerrah written all over them.

aria

Reaction score
As far as D law, I love the guy but I wouldn’t want to sign him for that much for that long with his injury history not to mention he’s had one? breakout year.

I guess I’d be ok with it depending on how the contract was written as far as us being able to get out of it relatively cheap after a few years if he gets hurt or isn’t as productive.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

This canard will never die. :facepalm:

TJ Watt was a linebacker in college. He's a linebacker in the pros. He's not his brother, who played DE in college and plays DE in the pros.

Taco sucks but TJ Watt was never a fit for the Dallas defense.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
if the cowboys don't pay him someone else will I don't think he will take the franchise tag as good as he did last year I think he will not do any thing in the offseason if he gets the tag

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Seems like many here forgot what are defense looked like before Tank came on the last couple of years. Maybe I can find one of those GIFs where Eli had 12 seconds to throw the ball.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Every player is unique. Tank is good. We need him going forward. But we can't be stupid and make another Dez type of contract mistake.

He's a good but not great pass rusher. He's a very good run defender. I think his value as a player exceeds his lower sack numbers because of his run defense.

But you can't pay outrageous amounts for run defense.
I agree to a certain exent.
Is he replaceable? look at V. Miller and A. Donald, JJ has to be in the same neighborhood as those guys, they set the market, or risk losing him because he will get paid.
may as well be by the cowboys