PFF: Every Team's Effective Cap Space in 2024 and Draft Capital

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s because they’re good at trades and manipulating offsets. Look at what San Francisco did. They traded a QB who cost too much to cut and still netted a mid round draft choice.

When you’re on the other end of that deal, it puts you on the bottom left of the chart above. The 5th and 6th round picks aren’t weighed enough to count that much against the Y axis. And that’s before you subtract $5 million of cap space on the X axis.
Dumb trade by Jerry(reminds me of Al Davis) Almost forces him to cut Rush next year for Trey, just so he does not look like an idiot.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nope, it might free up 10-15 million tops.
If will free up 29M minus vet min and whatever 1/5 of his SB is.
Likely about 20M freed up.
He will have roster bonuses and large salaries to flip in coming seasons to spread the cap hit into unused years.

They may very well just give him his 28M base as a SB (+1M vet min).
With all new money coming in future seasons.
If so it would create ~23.5M in cap space.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Cut Gallup (post-June 1st)
Cut LVE (I will miss him, but his body can't handle the NFL anymore)
Cut Rush (If Lance isn't good enough to be the backup, he isn't worth his 5 million + salary)

Extend Dak, extend CeeDee (obviously in the long run this will cost the Cowboys a TON of money, but it will likely reduce his cap number for 2024),do a couple of things with Martin's and DLaw's contracts and we will have all the money we need to do what we need to do.

Luckily, the areas that we need to invest in, aren't areas that are hard or expensive to upgrade: LB, RB, etc. I could also see us re-singing Gallimore for a year and probably Parsons.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Having A LOT of free agent money largely means you overpay for guys.
We've seen it many times in recent years but it has been happening for decades.

Eagles look better than us on the chart because they PRE leverage future seasons.
Dallas flips those restructure switches last second.
The cap situations are very similar for both.

The draft capital is a bit misleading as well as they haven't added in comp picks. Not thta 2 projected 6th will boost it mightily but it does shift across the board as each team officially gets the picks.

All that said Dallas did "go for it" this year.
You add Gilmore and Cooks and that reduces cash and picks for next year.
I'd argue both were worth it.

Dallas will have real cap challenges because they have a lot of really good players.
Paying CeeDee is gonna require a saudi prince's help.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dumb trade by Jerry(reminds me of Al Davis) Almost forces him to cut Rush next year for Trey, just so he does not look like an idiot.
ROFL, this wasn't a Jerry trade.
And it doesn't force anything.
QBs have value and can generally be moved with ease for more than you paid to acquire them.

Cooper's 2.8M cap hit isn't a big deal.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I am not nor am I ever concerned about the Cap. I'm firmly team "the cap is a myth" and the Cowboys are perfectly capable of using that to their advantage, either competitively or in negotiations.

The biggest concern this offseason will bethe offensive line. Tyron Smith and Biadasz are free agents. I give Zach Martin a 50/50 chance of retiring. Steele underperformed all year and it's past just blaming that on the knee. Draft and free agency should both be in scope for those guys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We did trade away a few picks this yr, but we should be getting 3 more comp selections. As for the cap space, don't think any of our stars are going anywhere.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
As always, effective cap space now is totally irrelevant. Easy savings this year include:

Dak extension: $25m (estimate)
Zack Martin restructure: $12.5m
Trevon Diggs restructure: $7.9m
Cooper Rush release: $2.3m
Brian Anger release: $3m
Leighton Vander Esch release: $2.5m
Michael Gallup release (June 1): $9.5m

This takes you from ~$42m over to ~$20m in space. That's without any extensions to guys like DLaw or Cooks, which could save you another $12-15m or so if you wanted to.

Their cap situation is fine.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Have to assume these guys left out all the picks that the Bears got from Carolina--including the top overall pick.
Those picks plus their own high picks....there is no way Arizona has more draft capital right now.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
As always, effective cap space now is totally irrelevant. Easy savings this year include:

This takes you from ~$42m over to ~$20m in space. That's without any extensions to guys like DLaw or Cooks, which could save you another $12-15m or so if you wanted to.

Can we add Tyron to this list...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I'm not sure about releasing rush and Anger just to save 5.5M.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
How do the Eagles have draft capital and money to spend? I know the Hurts' deal pushes out a lot of the guaranteed money to the option years, but still. The Eagles have a lot of aging players with large cap hits. Did the Eagles trade away some players for draft picks?
The Eagles may have fallen off this year, but they still have a bright GM in their back pocket.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Extend Dak and that frees up a solid 30-40 million
I would be stunned if they could get his cap hit down that far. His bonuses from his old contract that haven't been depreciated roll over. The restructure and signing bonuses are going to add up to $40m or so.

https://overthecap.com/contract-constructor

If he gets a 5 year deal with a $80m signing bonus and gets minimum salary, his cap hit is $43m next year. That would be $17m in savings.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

You wouldn't bring him back for that same deal? I know he wasn't used a lot because our record setting offense, but I would still keep him regardless.
Can we add Tyron to this list...
:( Nooooooo..... he's rather cheap and too good to let go. I love me some Tyron Smith. That's Dak's fishing buddy too.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The Eagles may have fallen off this year, but they still have a bright GM in their back pocket.
Howie Roseman, the GM who never played a down of football, and only got the job because he is buddies with the owner. Is that the bright GM you are referring to? Eagle drafts have been awesome, haven't they? How about those great signings of WR Julio Jones and LB Shaq Leonard.

Other than manipulating the cap to kick Hurts' guaranteed money into the late option years, what has Howie done well? Found a few suckers willing to make idiotic trades?