Twitter: PFF lists the best cornerbacks available 2021 draft, free agency and/or trade

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys would end up signing a CB not even listed. I wouldn't want to overpay any of those CB with a restricted cap, especially. Drafting a guy seems to be the better play right now.

Dont worry, after paying Dak, we havent got much CAP left (unless we start restructuring those poor contracts). In free agency we're still in the POE/DIX dumpster.

In any case are we a CB away from competing?.....no.

Why concentrate on defending the pass when teams can make steady easy progress on the (less risky) ground.

Sort out out the rush defense first. Due to the number of holes (and lack of resources), i'd be tempted on trading down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Verrett might be a bargain due to his injury history. Buying corners on the open market is just so expensive.

I agree completely. His was the name that stood out to me. I was always impressed with him when he was healthy. Injuries have derailed his career. But if you're willing to roll the dice on his health, I think he'd be a nice upgrade.

It's too bad that the Cowboys had another late season, worthless 'win streak' that lowered their draft slot, likely costing them a shot at Surtain II.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't see the Cowboys signing a big name free agent CB. Why would they do that when they let Byron Jones go? They will draft 1, probably in the first round. If they sign one free agent this year, let it be Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree completely. His was the name that stood out to me. I was always impressed with him when he was healthy. Injuries have derailed his career. But if you're willing to roll the dice on his health, I think he'd be a nice upgrade.

It's too bad that the Cowboys had another late season, worthless 'win streak' that lowered their draft slot, likely costing them a shot at Surtain II.

I think Surtain will be there, many of the big boards are slowly moving him back, he is more of a top 15 pick.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Dont worry, after paying Dak, we havent got much CAP left (unless we start restructuring those poor contracts). In free agency we're still in the POE/DIX dumpster.

In any case are we a CB away from competing?.....no.

Why concentrate on defending the pass when teams can make steady easy progress on the (less risky) ground.

Sort out out the rush defense first. Due to the number of holes (and lack of resources), i'd be tempted on trading down.
I starting to agree with your position of building the front 7 over the secondary. It's tough to see them fixing every defensive hole, but they could fix the front then patch together the back for this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You're not getting an immediate upgrade to Chido via draft or FA.

You can hope to get a comparable player cheaper by "bargain hunting" in FA or you can hope to get a better long-term talent in the draft. But you're not getting a 1-for-1 upgrade.

We're not in free agency, but you can. Instead, we'll pick the Ha-Ha Clinton Dix of corners available and end up needing someone else to stop up.

My hope is because Richard Sherman is available and played for our DC that he'll be able to convince the Joneses to sign Sherman. Yes, he's not getting any younger and fought through injury troubles last year, but he would be an upgrade and good transition player. I think it would take at least two years, $18 million to get him, but we could design it where we pay $6 million this year and $12 million next year, giving us an out. Let's say we give him $6 million bonus. That would mean he'd get a total of $9 million this year ($3 million base plus his bonus) while only costing us $6.

This also keeps us from being wedged into absolutely needing to use our first- or second-round pick on a corner.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I know it's frustrating, but their strategy is crystal clear, sign a bridge, low level starter to cover themselves in the draft as it can be very unexpected. Draft a future starter and develop him. Once he is ready to assume the starter's role, that veteran's contract expires.

Yes, the bridges we sign are rickety and falling apart, so you can't even cross them. The only way our defense is going to get better if we add better talent ... and it's hard to accomplish that just through the draft. By the time you get around to finding someone like Diggs (or what he can potentially become), you lose someone like Byron Jones.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
We're not in free agency, but you can. Instead, we'll pick the Ha-Ha Clinton Dix of corners available and end up needing someone else to stop up.

My hope is because Richard Sherman is available and played for our DC that he'll be able to convince the Joneses to sign Sherman. Yes, he's not getting any younger and fought through injury troubles last year, but he would be an upgrade and good transition player. I think it would take at least two years, $18 million to get him, but we could design it where we pay $6 million this year and $12 million next year, giving us an out. Let's say we give him $6 million bonus. That would mean he'd get a total of $9 million this year ($3 million base plus his bonus) while only costing us $6.

This also keeps us from being wedged into absolutely needing to use our first- or second-round pick on a corner.
Sherman is the exact same type of signing as Clinton Dix lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, the bridges we sign are rickety and falling apart, so you can't even cross them. The only way our defense is going to get better if we add better talent ... and it's hard to accomplish that just through the draft. By the time you get around to finding someone like Diggs (or what he can potentially become), you lose someone like Byron Jones.

I agree talent acquistion should come from all areas; draft, fa and the trade market. They are going to have to use free agency at some point.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sherman is the exact same type of signing as Clinton Dix lol

I don't think so. Sherman was very good in 2019. His play slumped some last year because of injury. The question with him really is age.

Dix had been performing poorly for several years.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't think so. Sherman was very good in 2019. His play slumped some last year because of injury. The question with him really is age.

Dix had been performing poorly for several years.
There are pills for that. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but it's all too common. Zero reason to be ashamed.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sherman seems to be a popular name floating out. Does anyone think Patrick Peterson has anything left? Down year last year but he's 30 and turns 31 sometime this year. Could possibly play FS.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I apologize for my crappy joke @gimmesix .
I reread it and was like: I wouldn't even laugh at that, dummy.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sherman seems to be a popular name floating out. Does anyone think Patrick Peterson has anything left? Down year last year but he's 30 and turns 31 sometime this year. Could possibly play FS.

I'd like to see him tried in that role. Our DB coach once helped Charles Woodson shine in a conversion to FS, so he might could do it again. However, I think we're more likely to sign someone like Keanu Neal because Peterson will be too pricey.