Twitter: PFF ranks Cowboys rookie class 24th in the league

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
loved this draft class.
could care less how they grade it.

Exactly, our first 3 picks were furtastic! Lamb, Diggs, and Gallimore were perfect choices with where they were taken. Biadasz had to start quite a bit earlier than we may have liked, but he did an admirable job. And to dock points for DiNucci who was a 7th rounder who was pressed into starting much earlier than we'd have liked. I loved Romo, but imagine if we had started him in 2003 because Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson. Probably wouldn't have been as good as we had with Romo when he took over in 2006 and these bozos at PFF would've probably docked our UDFA class that year. DiNucci was simply not ready. That's not a bad thing, nor unexpected for a 7th rounder. I expect that Ben will have to wait around for a little while, and that's what should happen. Unfortunately, when you burn through QBs as quickly as we did this season, guess what happens.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You mean the ones whose decision makers have earned their positions and are held accountable? That aren't just finger puppets surrounding the owner?
Ya... thats them

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
24th? Can't possibly be true.

I've read here countless times how this was an awesome draft, and the Cowboys have been drafting really well recently.

It always looks great in a vacuum. When you compare it to other teams you get a different perspective.
Some evaluate these players based on their playing time on this team or even making the cut. Just because they can make this team doesn't mean they could make a true contender.

Ranking a rookie class after one year isn't a good measuring stick, especially with the lack of an off season.

The other part of this is ranking OL. Martin was the extreme exception to make All Pro in his rookie season, something not done in 50 years. The rule is it takes at least a couple of seasons to evaluate an OL. Might have something with Biadasz and the jury is still out on McGovern and Williams.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So if DiNucci had never played the class would have looked wonderful. That doesn’t make much sense. He was a 7th rounder. No 7th rounder is supposed to play or look good as a rookie.

Correct. And Dinucci could be cut tomorrow and it still wouldn’t mean anything about the class given how often 7th rounders never amount to anything.

aria

Reaction score
Our drafting is constantly over rated by a lot of fans and it’s reflected in our record year after year. Coaching absolutely has something to do with it but not all of it. Based on some of the comments after our drafts you would think we have 22 All Pros starting.

Looking back at the past 5 years of draft classes is nauseating and just because a player starts on a bad team doesn’t mean they were a good draft pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Their top 10 is: Bengals, Colt, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Commanders, Chargers, Vikings, Steelers, Bills and 49ers.

Eagles 22. Giants 27.

Philly 22nd over us shows how ******* awful their ratings are.

Their first round pick was blah at best. Their 2nd round pick hurts was OK. The rest of their picks? Geezus.

I dare any sane human to look at their draft class and ours and claim theirs was similar or slightly better. LOL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A little silly considering how much contribution we got from them. You can add in Steele and Bernard as well. Tomsula or Nolan did not like Anae or something is my gather on him.

Now I'm annoyed. I had thought that Anae wasn't played because he couldn't get gameday active with our decent depth chart for DE. But he was active for 7 games and still got only 6 defensive snaps.

I bet a few snaps a game makes a world of difference for a player's attitude and prep every week. Hate to see young guys not getting snaps. Especially an edge rusher. "Go get the QB" is not that complicated. Meanwhile, we played Aldon, the guy who hadn't played for 5 years, more snaps than any other DE on the team. We are so dumb.

Depth chart did keep him off the gameday actives once Gregory came back.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
24. Dallas Cowboys

Why they're ranked here: To no surprise, wide receiver CeeDee Lamb (No. 17 overall) was the most valuable Cowboys rookie by a considerable margin and finished with a top-15 WAR generated in the entire rookie class. We can't completely ignore the rest of Dallas' rookie class production, however, even when it was a seventh-rounder, quarterback Ben DiNucci, who brought down the class significantly. DiNucci recorded only 51 dropbacks but finished with a lowly 25.6 PFF grade on those and generated the lowest WAR of anyone in the class.

How their top pick fared: Hauling in targets was an issue for Lamb. He tied for the fourth-most drops at the position with nine. Lamb did continuously exploit holes in zone coverage from the slot, though. No wide receiver generated more 15-plus-yard plays by finding a hole in zone coverage from the slot than him (nine). He hauled in 21 of 27 such targets for 325 yards, and none of his drops came on those targets.

Thank you.

"even when it was a seventh-rounder, quarterback Ben DiNucci, who brought down the class significantly"

What? Playing your downroster rookies means the value you got in your rookie class is *lower*?

Sounds like we got ranked low because they have some idiot metric, like *average* PFF of guys who played.

Do they say just how they calculated rank?

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see how anyone can defend this. They told you they downgraded the entire class significantly because of Ben DiNucci playing a game.

So in PFF logic, if Prescott and Dalton don't both get hurt the Cowboys would have had a better rookie class this year.

Often times you'll find these Lewis Skolnick numbers crunchers are so beholden to their numbers that common sense goes out the window.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yes they all did. I think the grade should’ve been a lot higher.
Eh... they straight up said they dinged the score because the Nooch was forced into action and predictably sucked.
Ridiculous to bring that into the eval, but that's PFF for you.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can defend this. They told you they downgraded the entire class significantly because of Ben DiNucci playing a game.

So in PFF logic, if Prescott and Dalton don't both get hurt the Cowboys would have had a better rookie class this year.

Often times you'll find these Lewis Skolnick numbers crunchers are so beholden to their numbers that common sense goes out the window.
Are you... defending the team and FO's Draft?
Must be a Friday.
TGIF