PFF ranks Dak's accuracy

HungryLion

Reaction score
Interesting that an end zone jump ball would be considered inaccurate, as would probably most balls caught in tight coverage.

Yeah, as with any other stat, obviously it has its flaws. For instance what you described would be considered inaccurate. Or another situation that would be considered inaccurate would be a QB purposefully throwing a ball low and away, due to tight coverage they are trying to lead the receiver away from. Where the ball is still touh to catch, but in a spot where the defender can’t pick it off.

Although I would imagine those scenarios relatively even out as all QB’s are in situations where they have to throw balls like that sometimes.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Yeah... but don't you just not like Dak? Pretty cool you agreeing with me.
I knew I always liked you...

Actually, I don't really care one way or the other about Dak, A fence sitter I suppose... I just like posting garbage sometimes to ruffle the feathers. I felt the same about Romo. He had his moments of sheer greatness, and sometimes followed it up with sheer stupidity. Dak is an ok QB, but I thought Romo was a bit more exciting to watch. Its too bad Garrett's crappy schemes shortened his career.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Percy. Cooper is actually a guy that prefers to catch the ball above his head and outside of his frame. His drop issues in the past have largely involved balls inside the frame.

So at least in Cooper’s case there may be reason to place more importance on Dak’s ability to throw catchable passes than on his accuracy.
Absolutely, just compare Cooper's catch radius to someone like Austin.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Actually, I don't really care one way or the other about Dak, A fence sitter I suppose... I just like posting garbage sometimes to ruffle the feathers. I felt the same about Romo. He had his moments of sheer greatness, and sometimes followed it up with sheer stupidity. Dak is an ok QB, but I thought Romo was a bit more exciting to watch. Its too bad Garrett's crappy schemes shortened his career.

Lol I was assuming you were a bit of a pot stirrer. But I do appreciate your brand of sarcasm. I find it funny.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My interest in reading you just ratcheted up several notches.
For better, or worse.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
There has to be quite a bit of film study to come away with something definitive. I seem to recall several passes where the receivers momentum was stopped but the pass was caught in "the zone" but the play was not maximized due to the stoppage of momentum. I wouldn't exactly call that accurate.
On the other hand you have Beasley's game-winning catch to beat the Giants that was inaccurate but the play was maximized.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Lol I was assuming you were a bit of a pot stirrer. But I do appreciate your brand of sarcasm. I find it funny.
My interest in reading you just ratcheted up several notches.
For better, or worse.

I can promise the two of you one thing, anything I say about Garrett does not include sarcasm most of the time. I can't stand the mo fo. Him and Jerry should hop onto his yacht and sail off into the Bermuda Triangle.

cern

Reaction score
Seems like it's easy to get a following for a football magazine/info publication. I wonder if they make much money.

Corso

Reaction score
I can promise the two of you one thing, anything I say about Garrett does not include sarcasm most of the time. I can't stand the mo fo. Him and Jerry should hop onto his yacht and sail off into the Bermuda Triangle.
Drake's Passage.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Ok so “Ranked” somewhere between 9-21.
He puts the ball in play the majority of the time.
Passes aren’t always caught.
Most passes should be caught but there are a few drops.
He’s somewhat average with running skills, nothing new here...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a really accurate assessment of what we see from Dak on the field. Or maybe it’s a catchable assessment? Either way, there’s a little something for everybody here.

For my part, if he throws catchable balls more than most, fewer picks than most, is a great leader and makes plays with his feet, he gets my vote.

Corso

Reaction score
Ok so “Ranked” somewhere between 9-21.
He puts the ball in play the majority of the time.
Passes aren’t always caught.
Most passes should be caught but there are a few drops.
He’s somewhat average with running skills, nothing new here...
This man's a Shakespeare!

pansophy

Reaction score
Thank you for all your hard work @percyhoward

I would be interested in seeing the numbers for The rest of the QB’s in the NFL. As in what is the % difference between Dak and the top tier guys and also him and the bottom tier guys.

Based on what you’re saying though with the discrepancy between the two numbers, it seems like Dak is around NFL average accuracy wise.

Which I think is a pretty fair assessment. As I have repeatedly said in the past that he does miss throws due to his inconsistent footwork.

The reason I would like to see his numbers compared to the best in the leagues, would be to see how much ground would Dak need to cover to be in the top 10 accuracy wise? Are we talking about hitting another 5% more accurately or another 15%?
Yeah the magnitude of the difference does matter. Being accurate and having it matter aren't the same thing though. If Dak is in the top 10 for YAC then catchable would appear good enough functionally on the field even if technically other are more accurate.

Trying to think of other metrics that would be affected by accurate versus catchable.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Seems like it's easy to get a following for a football magazine/info publication. I wonder if they make much money.
They get my money during the season, then I save the info I'm interested in and cancel until September. Their QB Annual is evidently how they try to attract customers in the off-season.

pansophy

Reaction score
And then there are passes that can only be completed if the receiver goes to the ground to get it. I assume those are considered inaccurate completions too.

Doing the math, there were 14.3% of Dak's aimed attempts that weren't accounted for as either catchable or uncatchable, and I'm guessing those were defended successfully. Which I guess makes them inaccurate too.
It could mean the pass was accurate but the guy wasn't all that open. The more I think about this stat the less I know what to do with it. Romo and Dez made a living on catchable but intentionally 'inaccurate' throws. Back shoulder throws, jump throws, going to the ground in traffic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, as with any other stat, obviously it has its flaws. For instance what you described would be considered inaccurate. Or another situation that would be considered inaccurate would be a QB purposefully throwing a ball low and away, due to tight coverage they are trying to lead the receiver away from. Where the ball is still touh to catch, but in a spot where the defender can’t pick it off.

Although I would imagine those scenarios relatively even out as all QB’s are in situations where they have to throw balls like that sometimes.
I believe that's the scenario @percyhoward was referring to, and I was thinking about that when I made my comment, but I didn't mention it because sometimes it's intentional and sometimes it's just not an accurate throw. All in all, accuracy is an extremely difficult stat to definitively record. It's one of the few things in which the eye test probably tells you just as much as any stat can.