PFF ranks Dak's accuracy

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2 totally different discussions.

1. PFF is using a chart and define "accurate" with a target like a shooting range. I'd have used a different target and have no idea how that relates to each QB but suspect each QB coach teaches targets a bit differently. Of course also have variation by receiver. So I'm just not sure I love that "measure". That has zero to do with any 1 QB but how it is being measured. Data is king but bad data is the very worst.

2. I have zero time for Dakurracy truthers. "bUt I sAw" is not a debateable point or worth discussing. Dak throws catchable balls(top 10 in PFF measure there) and avoids interceptions. The comp% and INT metrics are there for 3 years of this. IF he misses it is generally away from the defense as shown by his lack of INT.
Or they drop a lot, as evidenced by the fact that they've dropped a lot.

erod

Reaction score
I support your case entirely. Use your eye test to read the second part of my post, and how every QB is affected by those things, and why comparing QB’s stats can still be a valid tool in understanding how they play.

Of course, you would need to have some capacity to understand nuance, in order to get the full jist of what I was posting. So maybe that’s asking too much from you.

You can’t even read, but you want people to “trust your eyes” for what you see on a football field.

Laughable.

I don't need anyone to trust my eyes. I understand what I'm seeing. If others don't, then OK, whatever.

Stats are how really average to below average quarterbacks get paid massively, then bomb out. I don't want the Cowboys to be one of those teams that woefully regrets what it did.

Flynn, Osweiler, Keenum, Bortles, Grbac, Cassel, Culpepper, Tannehill, Hoyer, Schaub, Glennon, Fitzpatrick, etc, etc, etc, etc.

That's where we're headed. Why not wait one more year to see what he's got?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It's not completely meaningless because not every completion is either a TD or an Int, but every missed completion is definitely a missed opportunity, but I totally get your point. The downfield-passing issues people have (including myself) with Dak are overblown, especially when compared to the rest of the league. So from what you've said:

He's middle of the road on attempts (16th)
He's very efficient from a TD to INT on those attempts (4th)
He's doesn't complete a very high percentage of the passes (23rd)

Goes back to what we said earlier and this thread. He's not an incredible ACCURATE passer, but he makes up for it in risk aversion and care with the football. You can win with that.
Right, if he were wildly inaccurate, he wouldn't have had the 5th-best INT percentage in the league in 2018. And if that low INT% were the result of making a lot of safe throws, we'd see it go to crap on the deeper throws. It doesn't. And if the low INT% were the result of only taking the safe deep throws, you see'd his interceptions go up when his team was tied or trailing late in a close game when he couldn't play it safe. It doesn't.

In fact, these are his career numbers on 15+ yard targets in the 4th qtr/OT when tied or trailing by one score or less: 18 of 38 (47.4%) 575 yd 7 td 0 int 133.2

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's not completely meaningless because not every completion is either a TD or an Int, but every missed completion is definitely a missed opportunity, but I totally get your point. The downfield-passing issues people have (including myself) with Dak are overblown, especially when compared to the rest of the league. So from what you've said:

He's middle of the road on attempts (16th)
He's very efficient from a TD to INT on those attempts (4th)
He's doesn't complete a very high percentage of the passes (23rd)

Goes back to what we said earlier and this thread. He's not an incredible ACCURATE passer, but he makes up for it in risk aversion and care with the football. You can win with that.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I mean, I never really saw the reasoning behind proving any of this with stats but seems like that's what many require these day. Either way, I think that as much as people discredit the eye test, the eye test is the best way to figure it out.

I agree that this style of play will win game and a good amount of them if your team is set up properly but I don't know that it will beat the top teams you meat as you get deeper into the playoffs. I think that in those moments, you have to have a QB that can make those kinds of plays. At least, and maybe this is a better way to put it, you have to have that QB to consistently give yourself a decent chance against those teams.

JMO

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Whoa, I'm not ignoring anybody. It takes a while to read everything addressed to me in this thread.

If you believe PFF, yes they are evaluating based on observation of these attempts. However, they are looking at every throw of all 35 QB. We're not. They're also (one must assume) objective in their analysis. We're obviously not.
No problem. I understand that. Thanks for the info here in this thread and the many others. It's a big reason I spend so much time here.

I know that the same can't be said for everyone but some of us do watch a lot of football and not just the Cowboy's and do try to be objective. If anything, as a Cowboys fan who wants to see them succeed, my bias would be pro Cowboys/Dak so it's hard for me to not put faith in what I see with my own eyes if it goes against what I really wish I was seeing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Stats are how really average to below average quarterbacks get paid massively, then bomb out. I don't want the Cowboys to be one of those teams that woefully regrets what it did.

Flynn, Osweiler, Keenum, Bortles, Grbac, Cassel, Culpepper, Tannehill, Hoyer, Schaub, Glennon, Fitzpatrick, etc, etc, etc, etc.

These are really bad examples and if you put Dak in the same category as most of these guys its hard to take you seriously.

Matt Flynn made 19 Million dollars in 8 NFL seasons.

Matt Cassell made 65 Million in 14 seasons.

Case Keenum has made 25 Million in 7 seasons.

Blake Bortles is overpaid but only because he was such a high pick to start with. He made 40 Million in 5 seasons and his upcoming seasons are at 16MM and 18MM. His guaranteed money ranks 23rd among starting QBs.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you said. I mean, I never really saw the reasoning behind proving any of this with stats but seems like that's what many require these day. Either way, I think that as much as people discredit the eye test, the eye test is the best way to figure it out.

I agree that this style of play will win game and a good amount of them if your team is set up properly but I don't know that it will beat the top teams you meat as you get deeper into the playoffs. I think that in those moments, you have to have a QB that can make those kinds of plays. At least, and maybe this is a better way to put it, you have to have that QB to consistently give yourself a decent chance against those teams.

JMO

Eh, I mean, Dak has played well enough to win in any playoff game I've watched...which is 2 of 3 (I missed the packer's game). I can't say QB play had an affect on any of the games, or at least, I'd say there are 3-4 things that were worse.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No problem. I understand that. Thanks for the info here in this thread and the many others. It's a big reason I spend so much time here.

I know that the same can't be said for everyone but some of us do watch a lot of football and not just the Cowboy's and do try to be objective. If anything, as a Cowboys fan who wants to see them succeed, my bias would be pro Cowboys/Dak so it's hard for me to not put faith in what I see with my own eyes if it goes against what I really wish I was seeing.
What do you see as Dak's biggest areas that he needs to improve, and what do you see as the practical results of those shortcomings?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Eh, I mean, Dak has played well enough to win in any playoff game I've watched...which is 2 of 3 (I missed the packer's game). I can't say QB play had an affect on any of the games, or at least, I'd say there are 3-4 things that were worse.

I don't know that I would agree with that. I mean, the path to beating the Rams, for example was clear to me. We needed to go deep and beat them for 7 early in the game. Unfortunately, our lack of ability to sustain that, allowed them to limit our offense and eventually squeeze us till we could no longer score. Now you can say that this is the fault of our coaching staff and that has some validity to it but, you also have to figure that our Offense is designed to facilitate Dak's skills. If he were better in this phase of the game, it's likely that our Offense would call a game that would put more pressure on opposing defenses and we don't really do that much. I think there is room for discussion around this particular issue. Heck, I would even enjoy that discussion, myself, but you won't be able to have that unfortunately. Truthers on either side will not allow it and it will just devolve into a name calling bust thread IMO. It's to bad too because this is really the crux of the entire issue, to me. Do you pay him stupid money because he is that guy or do you try to work a deal that allows for the team to keep talent around Dak. I'm probably always for the latter, regardless, because I don't believe one play wins. I believe teams win but no matter.

It's really a shame too. There was a time that this kind of discussion could happen but that was back when there were like 40 guys posting here. LOL......

Last edited:

vlad

Reaction score
To me, catchable means a lot more than accurate.

My only issue would be if in reaching in any direction from your frame does it break up your momentum/stride. Particularly with guys like amari who can accelerate from an already top speed (Extra gear).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My only issue would be if in reaching in any direction from your frame does it break up your momentum/stride. Particularly with guys like amari who can accelerate from an already top speed (Extra gear).

If you can hit Beasley in stride consistently, he is a weapon. If you can't, he is an undersized slot guy. That's really the problem, as I see it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How did the Giants score 35 points while standing around?

I knew this drivel would be posted before I finished my original post. The Giants were 23rd in passing defense last year, the Patriots were 22nd. They seem to have done OK but just standing around and watching.
this was in response to Dak shredding the giants defense for 387 yards.....not in regards to how their offense did. and it doesn't change the fact, last game of the season, hopeless for the giants, 23rd ranked pass defense. woohoo go dak boy

watch the you tube video, specially the 55 second mark..

Number1

Reaction score
and to think I've been posting their numbers ... my bad ya'll