News: PFF ranks Moore as second best play caller in football

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Some of you guys are way down on Moore. Criticizing him for not using Pollard more?

How do we know that's Moore's fault?
just seemed rather polar opposite than what he was doing at Boise, and I get it this isnt collegiate game plan any more its the NFL, but several teams in this league like KC offensive scheme were already emulating that style of play with success at this level, so not sure why the implementation process has been a failure here.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I don't think there's a better example of what an immense joke pff is than this. lol
As I said to a friend of mine, here's why pff cannot be taken seriously. Their numbers are not based in any situational context or awareness. Here is the example I gave him. If Dallas Plays Tampa in week one, The entire Tampa team comes down with the flue, and they have to start with the entire practice squad, multiple beer vendors and a cheerleader. Dallas wins 800-0. Yay us. THEN Dallas gets shut out for 16 straight weeks when they play actual NFL teams, PFF would declare them the most potent offense in the history of the NFL! They cannot be taken seriously.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serious question, please pick one of the following options.
1 Is KMs system just college level and being disrespected by the players?
2 Is KMs system just too difficult to grasp by our offensive players?
3 Do we not have the current talent to actually open up KMs playbook?
Nothing wrong with 1. Most of what the NFL is running is from college now.

When college went to the spread out of necessity, it was a matter of time before that took over the NFL. Some of the clubs even sent their DC's to meet with Saban about how he was defending it.

In the past, QB's fresh from college had to adapt to a new system, hence the clipboard carrying time, but it has reversed over time and now the OC's try to implement as much from the QB's system to get him comfortable and up to speed faster because jobs are in the balance. CHI's GM and HC had hoped they could bring Fields along fast enough to save theirs.

I really don't see anything wrong with Moore's strategies or play calling, I see more wrong with the execution and he has run into some better and more experienced DC's, which is to be expected.

I don't know why the OC catches the heat when the ball is turned over, dropped, mistakes made in the OL or on their assignment. Players screw up and the coach catches the heat.

It's like McC catching heat over the penalties. Hell, they benched the biggest perp and his back up was not good enough. What else was he supposed to do? But the coaching gets the blame and the talent overvalued.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Have to stop the penalties first because no team will have succes starting every fourth set with 1st and 20...thats what happened and it crept into the scene steadily until it literally stopped our run game mid season. Sure there are some other variables but the first and easiest correction is the penalties.

Another issue with the OLine = penalties. Many of those penalties were holding penalties due to bad blocking by the OLine.

Reactions: BAT

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't think there's a better example of what an immense joke pff is than this. lol
As I said to a friend of mine, here's why pff cannot be taken seriously. Their numbers are not based in any situational context or awareness. Here is the example I gave him. If Dallas Plays Tampa in week one, The entire Tampa team comes down with the flue, and they have to start with the entire practice squad, multiple beer vendors and a cheerleader. Dallas wins 800-0. Yay us. THEN Dallas gets shut out for 16 straight weeks when they play actual NFL teams, PFF would declare them the most potent offense in the history of the NFL! They cannot be taken seriously.
That's actually not true at all....PFF uses a simple +/- scale that actually takes on the exact opposite of the scenario you mentioned. Under PFF's system, all downs are going to be weighed equally. It's why a guy like Diggs makes so many explosive plays but has a terrible PFF grade. An 80 yard TD pass by Dak is valued almost the same as a well executed screen pass that goes for 8 yards.

PFF has it's shortcomings, but it sounds like your friend hates PFF just because they want to.

Here is an small piece from the PFF article this thread was based on about how they score for these rankings, and it is mostly metrics based entirely on situational football.

"In rating offensive play callers here, we use PFF grades — adjusted for opponent and scaled for age (most recent games get the highest scale — and, probably most importantly, we take into account expected points added and success rate going into the games and plays of interest, which also controls for situation."

It goes deeper, but dont want to violate the rules and post too much of an article that I'm assuming is behind a paywall? Anyways the biggest flaw this article has is it rewards pass heavy teams over run first teams, which probably plays into KM's ranking especially for the back half of the year.

Certainly not perfect, little that PFF does it perfect, but it's an excellent tool to use and an interesting read.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another issue with the OLine = penalties. Many of those penalties were holding penalties due to bad blocking by the OLine.
I think it was more overmatched than bad blocking. They all teach the same techniques but if an OL is up against a stronger or superior athlete, he will most likely have to cheat a little and not get caught.

All of these ref crews get the same pregame reports and coaches from the different teams see things on film that they point out. Williams was a marked man and Gregory cheated the los too much and got called lining up offsides.

In Williams defense, he tried to get under the defender's pads and play proper technique but did any Cowboys OL want to be the one that let a guy through that sent Prescott back out of the game? They knew he wasn't running and was not 100%, better to get a hold than to watch him leave the field injured.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They cannot be taken seriously.
:hammer:They're the ONLY ones who have Moore ranked that low. https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ve_play_caller_for_each_nfl_team/s1__35857394

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Truth is that Moore simply lost almost everything that was making the Cowboys the #1 offense in football. He definitely gets too much blame.

However he definitely needs blame for his use of Zeke and Pollard and his inability to adjust some when things weren't working.

But the truth there is with a crappy line, Zeke and Dak hurt and Gallup Lamb, Cooper all missing time in the 2nd half what was the guy to do?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think it was more overmatched than bad blocking. They all teach the same techniques but if an OL is up against a stronger or superior athlete, he will most likely have to cheat a little and not get caught.

All of these ref crews get the same pregame reports and coaches from the different teams see things on film that they point out. Williams was a marked man and Gregory cheated the los too much and got called lining up offsides.

In Williams defense, he tried to get under the defender's pads and play proper technique but did any Cowboys OL want to be the one that let a guy through that sent Prescott back out of the game? They knew he wasn't running and was not 100%, better to get a hold than to watch him leave the field injured.

You cant actually believe that nonsense that Refs had it out for Williams? That has to be the most laughable thing I have heard lately. So you think the refs huddle and do film on Dallas and talk about how Williams holds alot or whatever?

The guy has been a JAG since has been here and has had holding problems his entire career.

JBond

Reaction score
I do think Moore is a good OC but I also think he has to do better with in game adjustments. I don't put much stock into rankings pro or con I do think Moore is much better than many here are willing to admit but again he has to do a better job or adjusting through out a game and on the season.
That is probably closer to the truth than the two extreem positions on the forum.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Further evidence that the people who run that site haven't a clue about what is happening on the football field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
On a scale of one to ten...how well does Moore use Tony Pollard? Creating mismatches and personal packages is a part of play calling. PFF skipped over that part, I'm guessing.
:facepalm:

I'm guessing they think other teams do not utilize their resources and create mismatches perfectly either.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan