1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

PFF Ranks Top 5 Safety Combos; Cowboys Come In At 5th

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 817Gill, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:24 PM.

1. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,547 Messages
    4,178 Likes Received
    5. HA HA CLINTON-DIX & XAVIER WOODS, DALLAS COWBOYS

“Both Clinton-Dix and Woods have earned top-20 coverage grades over the last two seasons, combining for a total of 34 turnovers during their brief NFL careers.

Both safeties have proven to be more than efficient when featured in a man-coverage scheme. Over the last two years, Clinton-Dix has the second-highest man-coverage grade (87.8) among the 31 qualifying safeties over that period, while Woods (70.2) ranks 17th. Together, they’ve allowed only 19 receptions from 31 targets in man coverage, giving up only 151 yards and a touchdown while coming away with six combined interceptions.

Clinton-Dix’s recent production has been somewhat overshadowed by his frequent moves and the lack of a long-term contract. But with a second-ranked man coverage grade (88.6) while aligned in the box and a 10th-ranked run-defense grade (79.7) when aligned as a slot-defender, Clinton-Dix has proved to be as versatile as any safety in the game.”

Here’s the fill BTB article, personally (though I wouldn’t say top 5), this should be one of the better S combos we’ve had in some time. Schematically are aren’t using a traditional SS so take that into account as well.

The bolded part is why some of y’all aren’t too excited about the pickup. But on the field, Haha is miles ahead of what we had in Heath.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pla...he-cowboys-already-have-a-top-5-safety-tandem

Mr_C, buybuydandavis and PJTHEDOORS like this.
  2. 12+88=7

12+88=7 Well-Known Member

595 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    I was surprised that the numbers were as good as they were for the secondary.

The gist is Dallas doesn't need to give up picks and than hand out a huge contract to a player that really isn't necessary.

Dallas will do just fine with what they currently have.

charron, WTtoolman, conner01 and 3 others like this.
  3. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    2,843 Likes Received
    That plus the number one ranked offense and we should be fine.

Unless big plays in big spots or wins and losses become meaningful at any point.

NotForLong likes this.
  4. RandyOh

RandyOh Well-Known Member

2,374 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    :eek: This will not please the trade for Jamal Adams or season is a bust crowd.

DEA_dad, Kolemmitt, 817Gill and 2 others like this.
  5. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

24,782 Messages
    47,375 Likes Received
    Those numbers aren't for what we had. They're for what we have now that we have HaHa.

817Gill, Pantone282C and Portnoy1 like this.
  6. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

15,950 Messages
    10,708 Likes Received
    Hard to see that high of ranking. I dont see haha as an upgrade over heath.

7. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,051 Messages
    18,444 Likes Received
    So, would Haha, be better off closer to the LOS, based off those numbers, and play the role of the SS?

8. Jipper

Jipper Well-Known Member

4,044 Messages
    6,236 Likes Received
    I’ve just got one thing to say..

Haha

Kolemmitt, Runwildboys and Kaiser like this.
  9. 12+88=7

12+88=7 Well-Known Member

595 Messages
    847 Likes Received
    Thanks for the correction.

But Dallas has enough at the position where there isn't a need to add what will be a very expensive player.

Runwildboys likes this.
  10. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,922 Messages
    25,122 Likes Received
    PFF's grades are meaningless, even if it sounds like good news for us.

ChuckA1 and Runwildboys like this.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

21,737 Messages
    12,955 Likes Received
    bUt JEfF hEaTh iS bEttEr

12. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

2,917 Messages
    2,843 Likes Received
    Or the...we are just about good enough to lose in the playoffs to a few other teams in the conference, but trying to debate ways to overcome that instead of waiting to accumulate draft picks while other guys get older and/or leave via UFA, and if that is the right move or not.

Either one.

I don't think we know a whole lot about what we do and dont have until we play without "one hand tied behind our backs" to quote a notable member around here.

13. Runwildboys

24,782 Messages
    47,375 Likes Received
    I bet his full name is something people said a lot to Monica Lewinsky.

14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

42,775 Messages
    44,023 Likes Received
    With this shut down of sorts, PFF knocking their brains out to come up with all sorts of stats and rankings.

I don’t think we are better off talent wise, unless they move a player to S and he surprises us.
    Where we may be, and should be better is from the coaching and scheme change.
    But we will need to see it transpire on the field.

Runwildboys likes this.
  15. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

7,538 Messages
    6,799 Likes Received
    Maybe in the NFCE, lol.

16. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

13,570 Messages
    10,242 Likes Received
    That's a big qualifier.

Our LBer were generally nowhere to be found in pass coverage and we have no idea how the pass rush is going to pressure the passer.

I would hold off on annointing ourselves or eating the cheese as Parcells would say.

charron likes this.
  17. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

12,955 Messages
    5,261 Likes Received
    The most important point of linked article.

ChuckA1 likes this.
  18. Runwildboys

24,782 Messages
    47,375 Likes Received
    I'm not saying I agree with their assessment. I'm just clarifying that they weren't using those numbers to describe last year's safeties.

Redball Express likes this.
  19. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

13,570 Messages
    10,242 Likes Received
    For sure.

I am glad to have Dix.

When in GB..

I thought him one of the better safeties.

Not sure now.

20. Williamsboys

Williamsboys Well-Known Member

571 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    The first thought that came to my mind was that there must be alot of really bad safety combos out there.

Mr_437 and CowboyRoy like this.