PFF suggest trading Gallup to Dolphins for 2021 3rd and 4th

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Two things to consider, I think the team almost has no choice, but to restructure Cooper's deal to create more cap space this off-season. Gallup would probably gives us a 3rd rd comp if he left as a fa. Receiving a 3rd/4th would be better, but it would open up another hole for this season.

Actually just read this ........it suggests a ton of restructuring, some we have to, some we may not. My point is, do we wanna push Coop contract further down the road when there's an out after the season, with younger options available?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nope a 2nd or nothig..id rather find trade [partner for coop if we are against a wall..

stay cheaper and younger..you dont let the young ones with upside go under less $$ and keep the aging big money vets with injurys history..

who would take coops contract? d take 3 and 4 for coop ..moves a huge amount of cap money..

so Lamb and Gallup sat, bring along wilson more or a draft pick as 3rd option give Jarwin and Shultz the extra receptions..

Knotamus

Reaction score
1) I’d rather keep the trio of WRs that we have together for atleast one more year. After seeing what Dak was able to do with them in five games. I’d love to see how a full season would play out and deal with the possible comp pick later

2) No team in their right mind would trade any decent draft capital for a 1-year rental in Gallup (who will be due for a new contract), exp since this draft class is deep at WR, and recent history suggests these rookie wideouts WILL find success in today’s ‘Pass-happy’ league. Bottomline, vet WRs trade values are corroding.

3) Under Brian Flores leadership, the Dolphins have quietly started making good business decisions. They’re building the team via the draft, and adding players that make a difference in FA (Van Noy, Ogbah, Lawson). The Dolphins have WRs in Parker, Williams(IR), Grant, and TE Gesicki. They could use a dynamic Wr to complete the team.. IMO, Gallup is not that guy. Miami has a truck load of picks and could easily lock-up a guy like Ja’Marr Chase for the next five years on a rookie deal.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WR MICHAEL GALLUPMIAMI DOLPHINS FOR A 2021 3RD (#81), 2021 4TH (#123)
So the question is, would you rather:

A. Sign Gallup to an extension
B. Let Gallup walk and take the comp pick (likely around pick 100)
C. Trade Gallup and take picks 81 and 123 in a couple months.
D. Do nothing now and make the decision next February.

superonyx

Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe Gallup will be a WR who hits the open market and pulls a huge contract like Cooper.
We need to factor in the fact that if he leaves then we need to pay someone else to be our 1000 yardish WR. Thats not going to free. Any 2/3rd WR in todays game who is worth having is going to demand a certain salary. So unless Gallup comes in unreasonable I would rather pay him knowing what we have in him.

What if we can lock him up for 8m average? Or 10m. If we need to spend 7m or so on another WR then maybe the savings are not so great.

I may be underestimating Gallups value around the league. I just see him as a nice #2 or #3 WR. I can't see any team breaking the bank for Gallup.

Knotamus

Reaction score
So the question is, would you rather:

A. Sign Gallup to an extension
(Depends on what we do with Amari and his contract.)

B. Let Gallup walk and take the comp pick (likely around pick 100)
(I’m perfectly OK with.. draft another next season to pair with Lamp and Cooper)

C. Trade Gallup and take picks 81 and 123 in a couple months.
(Just don’t believe this would happen)

D. Do nothing now and make the decision next February.
(Yes, exp if Dak is signed.. let’s see what these guys can do with a full season)

There’s literally no great benefit to trading Gallup. Your creating a hole that will need to be filled.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Actually just read this ........it suggests a ton of restructuring, some we have to, some we may not. My point is, do we wanna push Coop contract further down the road when there's an out after the season, with younger options available?

I think Cooper has proven himself as a core player for this team. He still put up good numbers with 3 different QB's.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong but I don't believe Gallup will be a WR who hits the open market and pulls a huge contract like Cooper.
We need to factor in the fact that if he leaves then we need to pay someone else to be our 1000 yardish WR. Thats not going to free. Any 2/3rd WR in todays game who is worth having is going to demand a certain salary. So unless Gallup comes in unreasonable I would rather pay him knowing what we have in him.

What if we can lock him up for 8m average? Or 10m. If we need to spend 7m or so on another WR then maybe the savings are not so great.

I may be underestimating Gallups value around the league. I just see him as a nice #2 or #3 WR. I can't see any team breaking the bank for Gallup.

I agree. Gallup is a #2 Wr and quite possibly the #3 in Dallas. That’s not a knock on Gallup, as I’m sure he would be a very good WR2 on other teams, but I’m not fooled to think he’s a WR1. That’s said, wideouts can be found every year throughout the draft. Let him play out his contract, take what ever comp pick may be available, and draft another Wr. By next season.. Cooper, Lamp, and rookie won’t be a bad deal.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He gets a third like wentz?! No way we need at least a second for Gallup.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

You could be right, but that is a huge risk. I think a lot of it will depend on if the cap/league revenue goes back to its normal trajectory after 2021. I think $8MM might be a little light just in looking at Gallops comps over the last few years though.

In 2020 free agency:
  • The Chiefs paid Sammy Watkins $8MM after a 52/673/3 line
  • The Saints paid Emmanual Sanders $12MM after a 68/869/5 line
  • The Texans paid Randall Cobb $9MM after a 55/828/3 line
To compare Gallup ended 2020 with 59/843/5 line. 2019 he had a 66/1107/6 line. If he has another 1000+ yard season in 2021 he could set himself up for a monster contract probably in that $15-18MM annually range.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Nope a 2nd or nothig..id rather find trade [partner for coop if we are against a wall..

stay cheaper and younger..you dont let the young ones with upside go under less $$ and keep the aging big money vets with injurys history..

who would take coops contract? d take 3 and 4 for coop ..moves a huge amount of cap money..

so Lamb and Gallup sat, bring along wilson more or a draft pick as 3rd option give Jarwin and Shultz the extra receptions..
The thing you have to keep in mind is that Gallup is only "cheaper and younger" for another season. I agree i would hold out for at least a 2nd rounder if im moving Gallup, but that has more to do with the comp pick you would get the following season from letting Gallup walk than anything else. I think people forget that Cooper is only 26.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think it'd be smart, yeah. I feel like we could get a second, though. Or a decent young defender instead of a pick.

I like Gallup a lot and him and Dak have a good chemistry. But this is a business, and the team needs as much help on D as possible.

Yeah feel like a 3rd and 4th mine as well keep him. For a 2nd though have to listen to the offers. Could then sign a Cobb like replacement or draft a couple of guys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Where this team is.. I’m fine with trading Gallup if he is not going to be resigned.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You could be right, but that is a huge risk. I think a lot of it will depend on if the cap/league revenue goes back to its normal trajectory after 2021. I think $8MM might be a little light just in looking at Gallops comps over the last few years though.

In 2020 free agency:
  • The Chiefs paid Sammy Watkins $8MM after a 52/673/3 line
  • The Saints paid Emmanual Sanders $12MM after a 68/869/5 line
  • The Texans paid Randall Cobb $9MM after a 55/828/3 line
To compare Gallup ended 2020 with 59/843/5 line. 2019 he had a 66/1107/6 line. If he has another 1000+ yard season in 2021 he could set himself up for a monster contract probably in that $15-18MM annually range.

This is my point......if it happens and he's that valuable, do you really wanna let HIM walk instead of Cooper

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If I’m trading Gallup I’m trading him for a Defensive player on his first contract with talent. LB DT or Safety.

Im with you. Good, young defensive player?
Yep!

A 3rd and a 4th. Nope. Like has been said, we will likely get a 3rd comp for him, so we are trading a year of our 3 stud WRs for a 4th? No way.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't want a ton more picks in this draft.

I dont think its all that great.
We have 10 picks. Just stay and draft the best player on the board. I would trade the 2nd and third round pick to trade back up in the first round to get a pass rusher, safety, and defensive tackle though.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The thing you have to keep in mind is that Gallup is only "cheaper and younger" for another season. I agree i would hold out for at least a 2nd rounder if im moving Gallup, but that has more to do with the comp pick you would get the following season from letting Gallup walk than anything else. I think people forget that Cooper is only 26.
NOONRE forgets w ere discussing the Cap and well coop not only drains the cap but he has the habitual foot injury thats not going away..if you can move deal, thats the one you try..

its hypothetical but gallup maybe up for deal but his wont command that of ACs.. so its still cheaper..

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t understand why everyone is saying we have to trade Gallup. The cap will jump up big time in 2022. We will have plenty of money to sign him. Most importantly he seems to like being a Cowboy and does not complain at all about touches.

Because many think they know what it best for the team. If they ran the team, they would never give a player a 2nd contract. And think they can all be replaced in the draft. We would be no more than 4 wins every year in that scenario. Maybe even get to 7 wins in the 4th and 5th year of those deals.