PFF suggest trading Gallup to Dolphins for 2021 3rd and 4th

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'll stick to my thoughts on this situation last off-season, and that is keep these WRs together through the 2021 season.

1) The offense needs the firepower for 2021.

2) If #13 walks in FA, team would get a 3rd for compensation imo, so in this scenario we're talking about getting an extra 4th for doing a trade earlier...while weakening the weapons now. Are they willing to deal with the trade off?

3) Cooper has the monster contract with an out after 2021, which would open up a good chunk to sign Gallup and a couple more players.

4) All I know is they should probably draft a WR this draft in the mid-to-late rounds to prepare for a departure later.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Because many think they know what it best for the team. If they ran the team, they would never give a player a 2nd contract. And think they can all be replaced in the draft. We would be no more than 4 wins every year in that scenario. Maybe even get to 7 wins in the 4th and 5th year of those deals.
Come on Jazz, looking back at the 2016 draft you would not have outbid the Eagles for Carson Wince. Some of the quarterback experts on the board say that mistake set us back.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not going to release their best receiver by far. The Browns won’t release OBJ so why do you think the Cowboys will let go of Amari. They will probably restructure his deal this offseason to get more cap relief. Cowboys fans always want to cut and release our best offensive skill player but keep Zeke.:rolleyes:o_O:facepalm:

Let’s make a bet. If the Cowboys release Cooper at the end of this season you quit the board permanently.

Deal or no deal?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If the Jets would give us Quinnen Williams for Gallup and our 3rd I would do it.

Don't know if they would.

Creeper

Reaction score
Won’t you get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him anyway as a comp pick? No thanks.

If he leaves as a free agent, then the Cowboys could get a comp pick depending on how much he gets paid by his new team. My guess is they get no more than a 4th for him. It also depends on whether or not the Cowboys sign any free agents. If the Cowboys do sign free agent, depending on how much they pay him, it could reduce or eliminate the comp pick Dallas would get for Gallup.

To me, Gallup is a receiver who is complementary. He runs those sideline routes about as well as anyone and he makes those contested catches when the ball is thrown his way. He will never be a #1, but I am assuming Cooper will be in that role, and then Lamb is they lose Cooper for any reason.

The last draft was deep in WRs and this one will be too. I think that will hurt Gallup's value a little. Why give up a 2 for Gallup who has one year left on his contract when you can draft a good WR in the 2nd round and pay him a rookie salary?

I like the proactive step of trading a guy before you lose him to free agency. getting something for him is better than getting nothing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry isn't going
You could be right, but that is a huge risk. I think a lot of it will depend on if the cap/league revenue goes back to its normal trajectory after 2021. I think $8MM might be a little light just in looking at Gallops comps over the last few years though.

In 2020 free agency:
  • The Chiefs paid Sammy Watkins $8MM after a 52/673/3 line
  • The Saints paid Emmanual Sanders $12MM after a 68/869/5 line
  • The Texans paid Randall Cobb $9MM after a 55/828/3 line
To compare Gallup ended 2020 with 59/843/5 line. 2019 he had a 66/1107/6 line. If he has another 1000+ yard season in 2021 he could set himself up for a monster contract probably in that $15-18MM annually range.
I've been an advocate of moving on from Cooper and extending Gallup since Lamb was drafted, but this is an excellent counterpoint.

It may very well cost 18 per to keep Gallup against Coopers 20.

Cooper is 22 months older but is the better player.

Then again, a deal of that nature would net the Cowboys a 3rd most likely.

So it would essentially cost a 4th under the proposed scenario to have him for this year.

I'll keep him for the year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If he leaves as a free agent, then the Cowboys could get a comp pick depending on how much he gets paid by his new team. My guess is they get no more than a 4th for him. It also depends on whether or not the Cowboys sign any free agents. If the Cowboys do sign free agent, depending on how much they pay him, it could reduce or eliminate the comp pick Dallas would get for Gallup.

To me, Gallup is a receiver who is complementary. He runs those sideline routes about as well as anyone and he makes those contested catches when the ball is thrown his way. He will never be a #1, but I am assuming Cooper will be in that role, and then Lamb is they lose Cooper for any reason.

The last draft was deep in WRs and this one will be too. I think that will hurt Gallup's value a little. Why give up a 2 for Gallup who has one year left on his contract when you can draft a good WR in the 2nd round and pay him a rookie salary?

I like the proactive step of trading a guy before you lose him to free agency. getting something for him is better than getting nothing.
But you get a comp for him if he leaves. We know the Cowboys won’t be players in free agency to negate that pick.

I’d rather let him go after the season if need be. I’m all for getting compensation but a 3rd rounder ain’t worth it. Give me a 2nd and I think about it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So a guy that was drafted as a 3 but has played like a borderline 1 gets traded for a 3,4? Ugh

Trade Cooper. Sign Gallup.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Jerry isn't going

I've been an advocate of moving on from Cooper and extending Gallup since Lamb was drafted, but this is an excellent counterpoint.

It may very well cost 18 per to keep Gallup against Coopers 20.

Cooper is 22 months older but is the better player.

Then again, a deal of that nature would net the Cowboys a 3rd most likely.

So it would essentially cost a 4th under the proposed scenario to have him for this year.

I'll keep him for the year.
agree. Im not against moving on from Gallup or Cooper if it makes sense, but i would rather have Gallup for 2021 and get a high comp pick instead of moving him for peanuts.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
NOONRE forgets w ere discussing the Cap and well coop not only drains the cap but he has the habitual foot injury thats not going away..if you can move deal, thats the one you try..

its hypothetical but gallup maybe up for deal but his wont command that of ACs.. so its still cheaper..
The foot injury is a legit concern, however even with that he has been our top producing WR. The cap issue though I think is a pick one or the other type of scenario, as the cap most likely evens out. Gallup may cost less than Cooper, however once you factor in the cap hit you take for trading Cooper Gallups estimated $15MM/ per year + Coopers $6MM cap hit still comes out to be in the same ballpark as coopers contact. Plus that cap hit is only that low if he is dealt after June 1.

I think this is a pick your favorite and move on from the other situation. I'm not sure cap space is a huge factor in the equation. Cooper is still likely to be higher for the duration of the deal, however you have a pretty decent out on his deal in future years. Sign Gallup after this offseason and your stuck for a longer period of time. Its give and take with both scenarios. Cant say i really feel strong about either. I think the most likely scenario is they let 2021 happen then figure it out.

Knotamus

Reaction score
First, I really like Gallup and would love to keep him. He’s a stand up guy, not a trouble maker, and has consistent production that seems to be under valued. Yet, in today’s NFL business decisions have to be made. The salary cap inhibits owners from signing big contracts to more than one player at their respected positions.(Oh, how I miss the early 90s when JJ would empty his pockets to sign/retain anyone)

Second, Although Cooper present a large $$contract.. I believe some folks are seriously under selling the impact Amari has had on this offense and Dak specifically. Some are talking ab ousting his contract after this year. Cooper is only 26yo and has a ton of football in front of him. I get the potential cap relief, but I also understand what Daks agent understands.. the cap will go up substantially in a couple of years. The way I see it, Our boys have a great duo in Cooper and Lamb for the next four years. If you factor lambs rookie deal, on average we're paying the two collectively at a very reasonable rate for the position.

If Cooper is released, we still would have to sign Gallup. And if Gallup has another 1k season, he won’t be significantly cheaper than Cooper. But there will be a significant drop off in talent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think they're saying we have to decide if he's part of our long-term plan. If not, we may wanna trade him before his contract expires after the 2021 season. Interestingly the same year we have to make a decision about Coop also.

I'm not sure about this trade.....must rather Dolphins 2nd rounder and they keep the 3rd and 4th.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-tra...021-nfl-offseason-deshaun-watson-carson-wentz

WR MICHAEL GALLUPMIAMI DOLPHINS FOR A 2021 3RD (#81), 2021 4TH (#123)
Cowboys Cap Implications: $222,495 in dead money, $2.383 million in cap savings

Dolphins Cap Implications: One-year, $2.383 million, $0 in total guarantees

Gallup saw his role in the Dallas offense diminish with the emergence of 2020 first-round pick CeeDee Lamb, even ignoring the obvious quarterback troubles in Dallas last season. Gallup was highly productive while operating as the No. 2 target opposite Amari Cooper in 2018-19, but he became more of a deep threat option with less volume as Lamb’s role continued to grow each week.

Gallup saw 105 targets in 2020 out of the Cowboys' 662 total pass attempts — good for a 15.8% target share — after garnering 116 targets on 633 total pass attempts in 2019 for an 18.3% target share. Lamb out-targeted Gallup in his rookie season — one in which the Cowboys had a brand new coaching staff and a truncated offseason — and that trend should only continue going forward.

The Cowboys can get good value for Gallup before the conclusion of his rookie contract, and he can be a strong No. 2 or borderline No. 1 option in Miami in his contract year (depending on how the Dolphins further address the position this offseason). It’s a potential win-win for both parties, especially with tight end Blake Jarwin set to return for Dallas, presumably leading to more two wide-receiver sets.

Here's his contract...
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/michael-gallup-25180/
this would be too little for gallup who was a 3rd rounder. in essence they are saying we should get an extra 4th for gallup and our original pick.

Gallup is worth at least a 2nd round pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know, I’m a critic of his. You’ll have to find another strawman to prop up.

My comments on Cooper is based on salary cap realities, not whether I want to see him go.
Brother I am cool with you. It is all in fun and you make a good point about the cap. The issue is the cap could explode in 2022 after the new television deal. Cooper’s contract might be low end money by then. Broaddus says the Cowboys might even tag Dak a third time because of the increase cap room in 2022. We also have not even talked about how the extra game will effect the cap next season. We are Cowboys fans and we both want what is best for the team. The Joneses have other ideas however.

Proof

Reaction score
Exactly what I want to do.

Being responsible about balancing a roster and trying not to have the worst defense in the league is known around here as Amari "hate," although you knew that already.

Lol no, don’t do that. The hate is the people who say he’s not that good, highlight perceived flaws and downplay how good he’s been here.

wanting to get rid of him when he’s already living up to his contract might be foolish, but doesn’t have to be hate

Proof

Reaction score
I don’t understand why everyone is saying we have to trade Gallup. The cap will jump up big time in 2022. We will have plenty of money to sign him. Most importantly he seems to like being a Cowboy and does not complain at all about touches.

not so much have to, just whether it’s the smart thing to do. I love that kid and want to keep him, just may not make sense to