PFF suggest trading Gallup to Dolphins for 2021 3rd and 4th

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think they're saying we have to decide if he's part of our long-term plan. If not, we may wanna trade him before his contract expires after the 2021 season. Interestingly the same year we have to make a decision about Coop also.

I'm not sure about this trade.....must rather Dolphins 2nd rounder and they keep the 3rd and 4th.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-tra...021-nfl-offseason-deshaun-watson-carson-wentz

WR MICHAEL GALLUPMIAMI DOLPHINS FOR A 2021 3RD (#81), 2021 4TH (#123)
Cowboys Cap Implications: $222,495 in dead money, $2.383 million in cap savings

Dolphins Cap Implications: One-year, $2.383 million, $0 in total guarantees

Gallup saw his role in the Dallas offense diminish with the emergence of 2020 first-round pick CeeDee Lamb, even ignoring the obvious quarterback troubles in Dallas last season. Gallup was highly productive while operating as the No. 2 target opposite Amari Cooper in 2018-19, but he became more of a deep threat option with less volume as Lamb’s role continued to grow each week.

Gallup saw 105 targets in 2020 out of the Cowboys' 662 total pass attempts — good for a 15.8% target share — after garnering 116 targets on 633 total pass attempts in 2019 for an 18.3% target share. Lamb out-targeted Gallup in his rookie season — one in which the Cowboys had a brand new coaching staff and a truncated offseason — and that trend should only continue going forward.

The Cowboys can get good value for Gallup before the conclusion of his rookie contract, and he can be a strong No. 2 or borderline No. 1 option in Miami in his contract year (depending on how the Dolphins further address the position this offseason). It’s a potential win-win for both parties, especially with tight end Blake Jarwin set to return for Dallas, presumably leading to more two wide-receiver sets.

Here's his contract...
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/michael-gallup-25180/

Gaede

Reaction score
I think it'd be smart, yeah. I feel like we could get a second, though. Or a decent young defender instead of a pick.

I like Gallup a lot and him and Dak have a good chemistry. But this is a business, and the team needs as much help on D as possible.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think a more likely scenario is we release Cooper after this season when there’s a potential out (only $6M against the cap and more than $60M in savings through 2025). We could probably resign/extend Gallup to a less expensive contract comparatively and rock with Lamb and Gallup as our lead receivers moving forward.

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
3rd and 4th this year or keep him 1 more year and he’s gone, I’ll take the 3rd and 4th now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just curious what's Mike's value on the open market.....was wondering if we let him play out the final year and use the transitional tag on him in 2022. As noted below, Overthecap is projecting a $14M 2021 transitional tag for WR. I know 2022 with be slightly higher but is he worth this much to us as 2nd WR?

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think a more likely scenario is we release Cooper after this season when there’s a potential out (only $6M against the cap and more than $40M in savings). We could probably resign/extend Gallup to a less expensive contract comparatively and rock with Lamb and Gallup as our lead receivers moving forward.

What you think his market value.......how much??

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I believe Pgh Schuster is a FA this year. It will be interesting to see his value on the open market as far as salary goes.

I believe the Eagles got fleeced for a 3rd round pick for Tate numerous years ago.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think they're saying we have to decide if he's part of our long-term plan. If not, we may wanna trade him before his contract expires after the 2021 season. Interestingly the same year we have to make a decision about Coop also.

I'm not sure about this trade.....must rather Dolphins 2nd rounder and they keep the 3rd and 4th.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-tra...021-nfl-offseason-deshaun-watson-carson-wentz

Gallup saw his role in the Dallas offense diminish with the emergence of 2020 first-round pick CeeDee Lamb, even ignoring the obvious quarterback troubles in Dallas last season. Gallup was highly productive while operating as the No. 2 target opposite Amari Cooper in 2018-19, but he became more of a deep threat option with less volume as Lamb’s role continued to grow each week.

Gallup saw 105 targets in 2020 out of the Cowboys' 662 total pass attempts — good for a 15.8% target share — after garnering 116 targets on 633 total pass attempts in 2019 for an 18.3% target share. Lamb out-targeted Gallup in his rookie season — one in which the Cowboys had a brand new coaching staff and a truncated offseason — and that trend should only continue going forward.

The Cowboys can get good value for Gallup before the conclusion of his rookie contract, and he can be a strong No. 2 or borderline No. 1 option in Miami in his contract year (depending on how the Dolphins further address the position this offseason). It’s a potential win-win for both parties, especially with tight end Blake Jarwin set to return for Dallas, presumably leading to more two wide-receiver sets.

Here's his contract...
I don’t understand why everyone is saying we have to trade Gallup. The cap will jump up big time in 2022. We will have plenty of money to sign him. Most importantly he seems to like being a Cowboy and does not complain at all about touches.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
3rd and 4th this year or keep him 1 more year and he’s gone, I’ll take the 3rd and 4th now.

I see your point but I'm not sure we're not better off keeping him this and letting the position play out. It seems Coops always nursing some injury issues that compromise his snap count. Since we'll have to make a decision on both after this season, maybe keeping Gallup and letting Coop walk would be better since he's younger.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think a more likely scenario is we release Cooper after this season when there’s a potential out (only $6M against the cap and more than $60M in savings through 2025). We could probably resign/extend Gallup to a less expensive contract comparatively and rock with Lamb and Gallup as our lead receivers moving forward.
The Cowboys are not going to release their best receiver by far. The Browns won’t release OBJ so why do you think the Cowboys will let go of Amari. They will probably restructure his deal this offseason to get more cap relief. Cowboys fans always want to cut and release our best offensive skill player but keep Zeke.:rolleyes:o_O:facepalm:

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Here's his contract...

Two things to consider, I think the team almost has no choice, but to restructure Cooper's deal to create more cap space this off-season. Gallup would probably gives us a 3rd rd comp if he left as a fa. Receiving a 3rd/4th would be better, but it would open up another hole for this season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly what I want to do.

Being responsible about balancing a roster and trying not to have the worst defense in the league is known around here as Amari "hate," although you knew that already.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Why dialed in on the Dolphins? Gallup should have been shopped last year. Take what the market will bear, perhaps wait until the fall when a team may become a little desperate. NE and the Jets could use Gallup.

Cutting Cooper at the end of next year sounds like a good strategy but it will depend on his performance and what Gallup is getting. Cooper is a better WR.