PFN Insider Discusses McCarthy

CCBoy

Reaction score
At least you state that is how you feel and not necessarily reality. Kudos.

Too many here act like their opinion is fact and they know it to be right… when it isn’t and they don’t.

Personally, I’m giving him this season before I make any decisions on if I think he’s a good coach for Dallas or not. Last year was all kinds of screwed up.

2021 should say a lot about McCarthy in Dallas.

I now see a strong staff that he has working for him...and he's still a valid leadership figure.

I just want to see a team that has more than worked technique, but is ready for the opening whistle from the start of the season.

He has a strong supporting group of coaches for this group of Cowboys. Scheme in year two, should be getting much stronger on both sides of the ball.

Let's play!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was hopeful he changed from what they said ended his GB tenure. Nothing last year made me feel positively about him and I’m coming to the feeling that he really doesn’t bring anything special to the table. If you took McCarthy out and had Moore run the Offense and Quinn run the Defense you wouldn’t miss a thing. Even with that being said I am willing to give him this year before I make a conclusion.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-notes-mike-mccarthy-cowboys-giants-washington/
  • A “plugged-in” source tells Adam Beasley of PFN that it could be “NFC Championship Game or bust” for Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy in year two.
  • According to Beasley, there’s a sense around the NFL that McCarthy didn’t “wear particularly well in his first year with the Cowboys” and his job could be in jeopardy, barring a deep playoff run.
  • One other concern is that Beasley says there are some around the Cowboys who are a “bit dubious” about McCarthy’s coaching staff decisions. Beasley explains that McCarthy is a delegator and clearly wanted people around him he could trust to handle a larger workload.
Give the guy a chance for crying out loud. Last year he was a 1st year coach during the worst pandemic in years. No OTA’s, no mini-camps, no fricken training camp, no meetings other than Zoom calls, lost their entire offensive line, lost their starting QB, lost their starting TE, lost their backup QB, lost their best LB and I’m sure I’m missing some. All that and you want to give up on the HC? :facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Make the divisional round of the playoffs and still get fired? I'd be shocked.

People won't want to hear it but after a virtual offseason and now Hard Knocks, I won't really be able to blame McCarthy for a second losing season if it comes to that.

Giving him partial blame, okay, but do you think he really wants those cameras at training camp? He doesn't.

I think he has to have a winning season and make the divisional round of the playoffs. I can't see him being given as much leeway as Garrett was.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I like Moore and he has proven he has a good offensive mind, but he suffers from the same limitations that Garrett had in that his coaching has been heavily influenced by one NFL coaching system and mindset.

While Garrett was a QB coach for one year with the Dolphins, most of his career and coaching experience was based on the 1990's Cowboys concepts, which by itself is not bad by any means, but he could have used a few years in other coaching systems to better refine his coaching schemes and experience.

I was not sold on the McCarthy hire, but it really is hard to judge him after everything that happened last year with no offseason, no preseason, losing Prescott, etc. combined with the historically bad Cowboys defense.
I agree on moore and JG, they both need more varied coaching experience.

About MM I judge him in 2020 on things that have nothing to do with covid or injuries, or bad defense.
And imo the defense was bad at times, but not as bad as some think.

here is 1 example if the offense turns the ball over on their own 35, and the other team scores a td off of that,
is that really bad defense? In the stats, that will show up later as a TD drive and 7 points, which the defense
takes sole blame for.
Even a pick 6 on dak, shows up in stats as points against the defense.
The fake punt, gave other team the ball on dallas 35 , and they either get a fg or td out of it. that is more points
attributed to the defense.

If a team fumbles at their own one, and the other team scores a td , then in stats that makes their defense look like
they gave up another td lol.
Every time a team goes 3 and out it makes it hard on their defense.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree on moore and JG, they both need more varied coaching experience.

About MM I judge him in 2020 on things that have nothing to do with covid or injuries, or bad defense.
And imo the defense was bad at times, but not as bad as some think.

here is 1 example if the offense turns the ball over on their own 35, and the other team scores a td off of that,
is that really bad defense? In the stats, that will show up later as a TD drive and 7 points, which the defense
takes sole blame for.
Even a pick 6 on dak, shows up in stats as points against the defense.
The fake punt, gave other team the ball on dallas 35 , and they either get a fg or td out of it. that is more points
attributed to the defense.

If a team fumbles at their own one, and the other team scores a td , then in stats that makes their defense look like
they gave up another td lol.
Every time a team goes 3 and out it makes it hard on their defense.
Last year though was not just about defensive problems as not having an off-season, extra practices, etc. really hurt a first year coaching staff and the players as well.

Fumbles, missed assignments, being out of position, wrong personnel on the field, etc. could be in some way attributed to many covid-related changes, limits and cancellations last year, but there will be no built-in excuses this year.

I am not giving them a free pass for last year by any means, but we should have a much better idea of the quality and capability of the coaching staff after this season.

817Gill

Reaction score
I'd have atleast felt better had they talked to a few guys. The x Bengals coach wasn't a real interview, then they spoke to what 2 guys? There are 31 other NFL teams each with 1 oc and 1DC so the minimum pool is 62 possible guys but only interviewed 2-3. That's an excuse. Now if MM was the best of say 6-8 interviews then fine but he wasn't.
Agreed with wanting to interview more candidates, but to be fair most teams that feel like they have their guy rarely let him leave. If the team genuinely loved the interview and fit I can’t say I blame them for hiring who they believe was their guy.

That being said I wonder if they open the pool during their next search or just go with Moore/Quinn.

817Gill

Reaction score
Give the guy a chance for crying out loud. Last year he was a 1st year coach during the worst pandemic in years. No OTA’s, no mini-camps, no fricken training camp, no meetings other than Zoom calls, lost their entire offensive line, lost their starting QB, lost their starting TE, lost their backup QB, lost their best LB and I’m sure I’m missing some. All that and you want to give up on the HC? :facepalm:
Read the last line of my beginning paragraph please.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Make the divisional round of the playoffs and still get fired? I'd be shocked.

People won't want to hear it but after a virtual offseason and now Hard Knocks, I won't really be able to blame McCarthy for a second losing season if it comes to that.

Giving him partial blame, okay, but do you think he really wants those cameras at training camp? He doesn't.
Dude, McCarthy won’t be any more capable next season than this last one or the one right around the corner. He sucks. Cameras or no cameras. Worst NFLHC hire by any team in the last several seasons and we all know it was.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Read the last line of my beginning paragraph please.
I read it. You Damned him for 90% of your post but then said oh but….. You’re a good poster. Don’t let the haters brainwash you to the hater side.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
After the pandemic and losing his starting QB and entire OL, he’d get fired after his second season? Doubtful, unless the team is worse. There are very few coaches in the league that would have done any better in Mike’s situation.

That, along with a serious lack of talent on the defense last year adds up to a huge, insurmountable disadvantage for any HC. The cards were severely stacked against him.
I believe the Cowboys will improve considerably this year, they may even win their division. But I don't think it's realistic to expect much more than that from a team full of rookies. Year 3 will tell how far this team can go.
Bottom line is I totally agree with your post DoctorChicken, it's not likely he would get fired after his 2nd season.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if he would do more clapping on bad plays, good plays or just clapping the whole game fans would like him more. Another thing, he's not using "the process" enough.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Dude, McCarthy won’t be any more capable next season than this last one or the one right around the corner. He sucks. Cameras or no cameras. Worst NFLHC hire by any team in the last several seasons and we all know it was.

I wouldn't expect a fair shake from anyone who hated the guy from the very beginning.
McCarthy never stood a chance last year, and neither would anyone else with the same circumstances. He deserves a fair chance to show what he can do. This year is a beginning.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think he has to have a winning season and make the divisional round of the playoffs. I can't see him being given as much leeway as Garrett was.

I can't see giving ANYONE as much leeway as Garrett had. :laugh:
I think a winning season is a realistic hope and maybe even winning the division, but let's not forget this will be a team depending on a lot of inexperienced rookies. We need to keep our expectations reasonable this year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Agreed with wanting to interview more candidates, but to be fair most teams that feel like they have their guy rarely let him leave. If the team genuinely loved the interview and fit I can’t say I blame them for hiring who they believe was their guy.

That being said I wonder if they open the pool during their next search or just go with Moore/Quinn.

I'd like to know what criteria they were looking for. Let's face it our offense could use more refining in the RedZone but is far from our weakness. A defensive minded HC would have been better possibly. I do like the tassel hire though.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Cole Beasley showed his first training camp his immaturity by leaving because of his girlfriend. Maybe she was dumping him. In any event, when Beasley was not offered a new contract he talked ish about the Cowboys. This is simply more of his lack of maturity to me.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect a fair shake from anyone who hated the guy from the very beginning.
McCarthy never stood a chance last year, and neither would anyone else with the same circumstances. He deserves a fair chance to show what he can do. This year is a beginning.
he had a fair chance, it would only take a little common sense to know that with virtual off season , you cant put in the new
defense nolan wanted to do.
They kept the offense the same, but not the defense lol, that is all on mike.
Add to that his bad in game decisions, and he hurt the teams chances more than he helped.

But he is getting another season , maybe 4 more lol regardless of what happens.
So we can only wait and see if he does a better job in 2nd season.

here is a thought, joe judge was a 1st year HC, and this was his first season as a HC, and he did as well as Mike !
I think they both wound up 6-10 and he beat mike in that last game, and should have made the playoffs, if Phil doesnt tank.
Rivera also 1st year HC, did better than mike, won the div, and played a good game against TB in playoffs with a qb
playing his first game!
Imagine dallas with dalton playing TB, probably a blowout.
Those 2 had the same problems mike had with no off season no PS, and they did better.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'd like to know what criteria they were looking for. Let's face it our offense could use more refining in the RedZone but is far from our weakness. A defensive minded HC would have been better possibly. I do like the tassel hire though.
yeah I would have hired saleh , the SF DC , young fiery and knows defense.
I am curious to see how he does with the jets.
He would have had more talent to work with had he came here.