PFN Insider Discusses McCarthy

Buzzbait

Reaction score
true, but he is their boss, and can tell them to change whatever he wants.
and He has to approve ST things like fake punts, onside kicks etc.
He could tell kellen I want balance, or more run plays.
He could have told nolan at game 3 , hey lets just go back to last years def scheme, the players know that.
He could have told dak to slide or go out of bounds, and not take hits, and try to run thru tackles !!!!!!!!!!;)
But he didnt and look what happened.:eek:

McCarthy always called his own plays for the offense and could've/would've till Jerry changed that and gave Moore full control of the play calling because Moore is Jerry's next Garrett child. How much more did Jerry affect what McCarthy could have done? I don't know the answer to that.
We could've had a better season if we hadn't lost our entire OL.
We could've had a better season if we hadn't lost our QB.
There's plenty of could have's on both sides of the issue.
Hopefully this year will answer a few more questions.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think he has to have a winning season and make the divisional round of the playoffs. I can't see him being given as much leeway as Garrett was.

There's a big gap between 2 years and a decade.

McCarthy has a five-year contract. I expect he'll be given most, if not all, of that time to accomplish something. I don't see anything "or bust" for him this season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We were trash offensively until we were down multiple scores and throwing 60 times against some of the leagues worst pass defenses.

Are uh making offense didn’t do squat against the Rams and they weren’t up by multiple scores or trash in the secondary like those other teams we faced.

The whole thing was trash.
so down by 3 with 3 minutes to go is trash...awsome

nah, you don't have an agenda....not what so ever

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was hopeful he changed from what they said ended his GB tenure. Nothing last year made me feel positively about him and I’m coming to the feeling that he really doesn’t bring anything special to the table. If you took McCarthy out and had Moore run the Offense and Quinn run the Defense you wouldn’t miss a thing. Even with that being said I am willing to give him this year before I make a conclusion.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-notes-mike-mccarthy-cowboys-giants-washington/
  • A “plugged-in” source tells Adam Beasley of PFN that it could be “NFC Championship Game or bust” for Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy in year two.
  • According to Beasley, there’s a sense around the NFL that McCarthy didn’t “wear particularly well in his first year with the Cowboys” and his job could be in jeopardy, barring a deep playoff run.
  • One other concern is that Beasley says there are some around the Cowboys who are a “bit dubious” about McCarthy’s coaching staff decisions. Beasley explains that McCarthy is a delegator and clearly wanted people around him he could trust to handle a larger workload.
At least you state that is how you feel and not necessarily reality. Kudos.

Too many here act like their opinion is fact and they know it to be right… when it isn’t and they don’t.

Personally, I’m giving him this season before I make any decisions on if I think he’s a good coach for Dallas or not. Last year was all kinds of screwed up.

2021 should say a lot about McCarthy in Dallas.

Stephen Jones top goal was to rid of Garrett.

The name of the coach that replaced him was secondary to just getting rid of Garrett.

Stephen Jones had taken over making all front office football decisions except for hiring the head coach

SJ had everyone reporting directly to him except Garrett.

Now, everyone reports to SJ and SJ is the only one with direct access to Jerry.

McCarthy's immediate Boss is Stephen Jones.

Jerry has zero attachment and zero history with McCarthy.

If McCarthy fails, Stephen Jones will fire him and move forward with no emotional attachment to McCarthy.

It would have been more difficult for Stephen Jones to maintain control if he had hired a guy like Urban Meyer.
- Meyer would have been popular with the media which would have caused Jerry to need to get involved again.
- It would have been very difficult for SJ to prevent Meyer from having direct access to Jerry.

Summary:
- McCarthy was a legit Head Coaching candidate when hired.
- Garrett was not a legit Head Coaching candidate when hired as the Head Coach.
- McCarthy had the resume and skins on the wall. Garrett did not.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well we know that Moore is being given the Garrett treatment. Key here is if he is willing to bury the knife in between McCarthy's plump shoulder blades like Garrett did Phillips.

If Moore gets paid enough and gets carte blanche to run the offense, does he even want to be the Head Coach?

He seems that the type that just wants to focus on designing/calling plays and probably hates wasting time on management issues like press conferences.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
so down by 3 with 3 minutes to go is trash...awsome

nah, you don't have an agenda....not what so ever

No I just look at things realistically and not from a homer perspective.

This glass half full approach has lead to our seasons being half losses.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No I just look at things realistically and not from a homer perspective.

This glass half full approach has lead to our seasons being half losses.
I don't have an agenda to drive like you do. I want the cowboys to win. I like to see cowboys with opportunity to pull a game out in the end...unlike you, I don't enjoy cowboys losses so I can come gloat and point fingers at Dak, which is what you want...you don't care about cowboys...you care about being right about your agenda on Dak...that's about it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah Fassel was a good hire for sure. After Garrett I was looking for some youth and innovation. Obviously a defensive guy would’ve been best with Moore being able to handle the O, but I wouldn’t make it a deal-breaker.

Looking back on it, Matt Rhule (despite the W-L record in 2020 that team is on the way up) or LaFluer (even though having ARod is a cheat code) would’ve been better hires. But at the time I wouldn’t have been enthusiastic about either hire over Mike.

Atleast give them an interview. Ok they liked mike but they are the premier team, act like it and talk to everyone. Then decide.

pitt33

Reaction score
The worst part about the MM hire is they really didn't do a deep search. They had very few interviews seemingly focused on MM from the start.
It seems that Jerry hired McCarthy because he could never beat him in the playoffs.

The thing that beat Dallas in those games was Rodgers and that porous defense this team keeps fielding.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't have an agenda to drive like you do. I want the cowboys to win. I like to see cowboys with opportunity to pull a game out in the end...unlike you, I don't enjoy cowboys losses so I can come gloat and point fingers at Dak, which is what you want...you don't care about cowboys...you care about being right about your agenda on Dak...that's about it.

No you gloat about fools gold numbers and moving the ball up and down the field when all things are optimal for us to do that.

I like when we do those things when everything isn’t perfect.

Creeper

Reaction score
I never thought McCarthy was going to be special. I just hoped he wouldn't make stupid game decisions like Garrett. I was wrong. But I am willing to give him another season.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No you gloat about fools gold numbers and moving the ball up and down the field when all things are optimal for us to do that.

I like when we do those things when everything isn’t perfect.
you just pointed to 90% of NFL QBs......awsome :thumbup:

JayFord

Reaction score
i still dont have a feel for McCarthy because of all the injuries and a covid short offseason didnt work for us

he has shown the ability to adjust when something isnt working it may not work out but atleast he shows the ability to address it

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
McCarthy always called his own plays for the offense and could've/would've till Jerry changed that and gave Moore full control of the play calling because Moore is Jerry's next Garrett child. How much more did Jerry affect what McCarthy could have done? I don't know the answer to that.
:hammer:
We could have won the division in Philly but Moore decided to bench our 2 WR's on 4th & goal. Philly seen the play coming & Elliott was snuffed.

Thanks Kellen. No wonder you're ranked 21st in offensive coordinators! He gets a free pass while MM & Dak get the blame for losses. :rolleyes:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We could've had a better season if we hadn't lost our entire OL.
We could've had a better season if we hadn't lost our QB.
There's plenty of could have's on both sides of the issue.
Hopefully this year will answer a few more questions.
Ok your not wrong, but I never said dallas should have been 12-4 last season, just better than 6 wins.
The things I criticize him on have nothing to do with OL and QB injuries, or covid.

And Mike said publicly he wanted moore and for him to call the plays. If he felt like he should be calling plays,
he should never have agreed to that.......Unless he is just coaching for the money.
No telling how much jerry is paying mike to be his puppet, I think probably 10 mil a year, which would be hard to turn down
for such a easy gig.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
:hammer:
We could have won the division in Philly but Moore decided to bench our 2 WR's on 4th & goal. Philly seen the play coming & Elliott was snuffed.

Thanks Kellen. No wonder you're ranked 21st in offensive coordinators! He gets a free pass while MM & Dak get the blame for losses. :rolleyes:
Great point.......I'm not sold on Moore, either.

I keep hearing how Dak sucks against "elite" defenses.

They seem to only be of elite status when they face Dallas.

Weird, right?

lockster

Reaction score
I was hopeful he changed from what they said ended his GB tenure. Nothing last year made me feel positively about him and I’m coming to the feeling that he really doesn’t bring anything special to the table. If you took McCarthy out and had Moore run the Offense and Quinn run the Defense you wouldn’t miss a thing. Even with that being said I am willing to give him this year before I make a conclusion.

https://nfltraderumors.co/nfc-notes-mike-mccarthy-cowboys-giants-washington/
  • A “plugged-in” source tells Adam Beasley of PFN that it could be “NFC Championship Game or bust” for Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy in year two.
  • According to Beasley, there’s a sense around the NFL that McCarthy didn’t “wear particularly well in his first year with the Cowboys” and his job could be in jeopardy, barring a deep playoff run.
  • One other concern is that Beasley says there are some around the Cowboys who are a “bit dubious” about McCarthy’s coaching staff decisions. Beasley explains that McCarthy is a delegator and clearly wanted people around him he could trust to handle a larger workload.
I seen enough of his in game decisions and lack of ability to make halftime decisions, and lack of fixing defensive issues to know, there's entry of guys watching football in their living rooms who could do better.
Secondly, a person who can't control their appetite , especially on an NFL team of the best health assistants in the world, tell me all I need to know about his mental status. At least guys like Parcells , buddy Ryan, etc. Could coast at headcoach at only 50 percent brain capacity.