News: PFR: This Date In Transactions History: Cowboys Release Tony Romo

blueblood70

Reaction score
He was fun to watch. My only complaint is that i think he made Bennett look bad to keep witten on the field. Bennett was the best blocking TE in the league, 6'6 huge wingspan, and somehow he was overthrown or missed, even when he was open.
yet ended up on 3-4 teams..odd how every team let him go.. he was locker room cancer with big mouth and no loyalty..ef bennet and his brother..Romo is king , Bennetts a Jester,..dont get it twisted..

dsturgeon

Reaction score
yet ended up on 3-4 teams..odd how every team let him go.. he was locker room cancer with big mouth and no loyalty..ef bennet and his brother..Romo is king , Bennetts a Jester,..dont get it twisted..

I didn't mention anything about his attitude.

I mentioned how he was the best blocking TE while he was here, and that Romo somehow always threw bad to him. Romo threw to lots of guys while he was qb, but he seemed to have a hard time throwing to a 6'7 guy, with a big wing span, and could jump.

I mentioned this, because i remember thinking over and over about.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I didn't mention anything about his attitude.

I mentioned how he was the best blocking TE while he was here, and that Romo somehow always threw bad to him. Romo threw to lots of guys while he was qb, but he seemed to have a hard time throwing to a 6'7 guy, with a big wing span, and could jump.

I mentioned this, because i remember thinking over and over about.
he was let go for reason, so you should have mentioned it..Romo not at fault for bennet, Bennett is..ok

romo elevated players not the opposite..

dsturgeon

Reaction score
he was let go for reason, so you should have mentioned it..Romo not at fault for bennet, Bennett is..ok

romo elevated players not the opposite..

We all have our opinions. I cant think of a reason romo couldnt throw to bennett, and why the best blocking TE in the league didn't see the field more. You can say he didnt see the field and left the team because of his attitude, but that doesnt explain the poor throws, and why he didn't have numbers while on the field

I think romo helped his friend witten out

Qcard

Reaction score
This may be the dumbest post this thread will see. But there will definitely be some competition.
Yes...elite status is a foreign concept to some. But there are dummies amongst hype

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the soft hearted owner Jerry screwed Tony by not releasing him in time to go to another time and win something thereby exposing our fraud GM...again. I think Houston at the time was stacked and primed and just needed a QB...Jerry has such a fragile, bourbon soaked ego at so many levels.
Why couldn't Romo have gone to another team after being released 4 years ago today?

starfan1

Reaction score
Why couldn't Romo have gone to another team after being released 4 years ago today?

its sad that alot of fans havent come to grip with Tonys body was broke! You're exactly right to ask that question. Tony knew the fans not so much. starting all over in a new place is not something any QB likes doing especially ones that have been beat up. you have to ask yourself do i want to go into a place where the offensive line is gonna get me killed AGAIN!

Tommy

Reaction score
He should've gotten his starting job back.
He was 100% healthy and ready to roll.
Hindsight is 20/20. I wanted Romo to start in the playoffs. He was the better QB. But you can't blame JG for not wanting to make that change with the way our team was playing at the time. We were 13-3 and playing better than anyone when we entered the playoffs.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
its sad that alot of fans havent come to grip with Tonys body was broke! You're exactly right to ask that question. Tony knew the fans not so much. starting all over in a new place is not something any QB likes doing especially ones that have been beat up. you have to ask yourself do i want to go into a place where the offensive line is gonna get me killed AGAIN!
Which specific part on Tony was "broke?"

MaineBoy

Reaction score

There were few teams as It made no sense for him to go to a losing team or rebuilding team so there were very few options. Those teams couldn’t take a chance by waiting. Houston was the best fit then. Jerry held him back long enough so then Tony had to make other plans too. Which worked out great for him.

quickccc

Reaction score

Nope.

Coaches, management, and teammate players saw that the dynamics had changed, and the team was on stellar roll and superlative season.
And even when it was all over for 2016, And it was something that the club did not want to change out and go back with the same ole, while contemplating
about a persistent bad back and declining health issues with Romo..

Plus Dak traits such as ball handling and taking care of the ball, mobility and an intangible element as an infectious winning energy, passion and confidence
That the team fed off was too irresistible to have Dak take a back track in a backup role.

Maybe this was kinda similar to the Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady transition ?

Love Romo for being the courageous go-hung improviser Jedi Knight he was for his career, but a decline in health, and mistake style mindset and game
With a young stud that had all of the intangibles, physical tools and rare leadership was present and there for the taking.

Time to move on, Romo apologists. Thanks for the memories :dance:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Tony Romo- forever loved by Cowboys fans, hated and considered a choker by non-Cowboys fans

Dak Prescott- hated by Cowboys fans, respected and appreciated by non-Cowboys fans

Not saying this holds true for everybody; but this is just something I've noticed. Personally, I am/was a fan of both.

Hardline

Reaction score
Nope.

Coaches, management, and teammate players saw that the dynamics had changed, and the team was on stellar roll and superlative season.
And even when it was all over for 2016, And it was something that the club did not want to change out and go back with the same ole, while contemplating
about a persistent bad back and declining health issues with Romo..

Plus Dak traits such as ball handling and taking care of the ball, mobility and an intangible element as an infectious winning energy, passion and confidence
That the team fed off was too irresistible to have Dak take a back track in a backup role.

Maybe this was kinda similar to the Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady transition ?

Love Romo for being the courageous go-hung improviser Jedi Knight he was for his career, but a decline in health, and mistake style mindset and game
With a young stud that had all of the intangibles, physical tools and rare leadership was present and there for the taking.

Time to move on, Romo apologists. Thanks for the memories :dance:
You failed to mention Romo was 100% healthy and a lot more experienced than Dak.
Romo would've gotten us more wins with that dominating OL and our then stud RB Zeke.
Dak would've eventually gotten the starting job and would've been more prepared when he got it.

EGTuna

Reaction score
I loved rooting for Romo, and he was at times awesome (his 2014 season was magnificent). I think as we learn more about him and his time in Dallas, you can draw the conclusion that he was at best an average leader and perhaps a little too full of himself.

One anecdote that leads me to believe the full of himself trait is that when Romo was on Bill Simmons's podcast last fall, Simmons asked Romo who he would partner up with in a 2v2 golf match similar to what Peyton Manning and Tom Brady did last summer. Romo said he wouldn't ever do it because he takes golf too seriously, and alluded to the idea that it was beneath him. Like, come on dude. If it's good enough for Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, then it's not too good for Tony Romo. He came off this way for the whole podcast. Just a little too cool for school. You can go back and find quotes like after the 44-10 disaster in Philly where he said, "if this is the worst thing to happen to me, then I have a pretty good life." Which, yeah true, but you don't say that after you ripped the fans hearts out once again.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Absolutely.
I get why they didn't as Dak was playing efficient football, but their upside was greater with Tony and he was coming off one the best seasons ever by any Cowboy QB.
Romo getting a shot with that healthy and dominant line plus Zeke at his peak....would be hard to stop.
Obviously, health was a factor.

All in the past now

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
Absolutely.
I get why they didn't as Dak was playing efficient football, but their upside was greater with Tony and he was coming off one the seasons ever by any Cowboy QB.
Romo getting a shot with that healthy and dominant line plus Zeke at his peak....would be hard to stop.
Obviously, health was a factor.

All in the past now
Yep.
The team was easily winning games with a rookie QB based on a limited play book who hasn't come close to winning 13 regular season games since. The frustration will always linger as to how much better the offense would have been with an All Pro vet QB operating the full play book in the post season.

I understand why the front office would want to move on from Romo in the future when it made commercial sense - I'm all about rolling with a good QB on a rookie contract longer term but yep this one feels like the one that got away as we were built to beat the Falcons (at home) as well.

quickccc

Reaction score
You failed to mention Romo was 100% healthy and a lot more experienced than Dak.
Romo would've gotten us more wins with that dominating OL and our then stud RB Zeke.
Dak would've eventually gotten the starting job and would've been more prepared when he got it.

Again… in the eyes of the organization – per coaches, management, teammates, Dak changed the dynamics of the role and impact at the starting QB.

It started with the way he marvelously filled in as backup, but i assumed there were other elements that begin to emerge themselves in regards to the intangibles and the way he handled the starting role, the way he handled the ball and the leadership intangibles he presented that impressively won over the entire staff.
The cowboys organization clearly thought Prescott was already " prepareness" beyond his years.

Remember that in the same 2016 year which Dak was drafted in the 4th round, the club was already trying mercilessly to acquire a very near future QB into the mix in attempting to
trade up for Paxton Lynch in the 1st rd, and hoping Conner Cook in the 3rd rd. would eventually fall into their laps. ….And we well know the fate of those two QBs.

The club obviously must thought was so special and unique that not only did they stayed with Dak as starting QB in 2016, (even when Romo was declared healthy enough to return in 2016 year) , but they were so impressed with Dak who played maturely and with such vet-like savvy that they decided to continue to give and commit 100% the reins and wheels of the starting position over to Dak on a full time basis.

So impressed with Dak , that Romo being healthy again and having more experience no longer matter and didn’t factor in going with Dak on a present and future full time basis.

It had to be something about Dak’s game, the way he approach and handled the game,( the way he didn’t throw away games ?) the way he exuberated and expired energy, passion and confidence within the entire organization.

Previous there was probably no bigger fan and supporter of Romo than Jerry Jones,.. but that was before the emergence of Dak Prescott .