News: PFR: This Date In Transactions History: Cowboys Release Tony Romo

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Tony did pretty, pretty good for himself; considering he was an undrafted FA. And hit it big time as an analyst. Being released and leaving when he did was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. The guy will turn 41 this month and will have a great quality of life.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson and probably Phil Rivers (7). Possibly Eli Manning. Possibly Carson Palmer, if we count 2005.

Please tell me when all these guys (especially Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and Ben) were available for Dallas to acquire in the mid 2000s. Parcells had already tabbed Romo as the next inline after Bledsoe.

I find it hard to believe you would take Rivers or Palmer over Romo.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for this fanbase to give credit to Tony Romo. The guy literally had an average to below average defense his entire career.

KB1122

Reaction score
Please tell me when all these guys (especially Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and Ben) were available for Dallas to acquire in the mid 2000s. Parcells had already tabbed Romo as the next inline after Bledsoe.

We passed on Aaron Rodgers. He was taken four spots after we took Marcus Spears. Obviously we didn't take Wilson. I assume we passed on Brees, because he was the first pick of the second round. In truth, we passed on all of them. Trades are possible.

I find it hard to believe you would take Rivers or Palmer over Romo.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for this fanbase to give credit to Tony Romo. The guy literally had an average to below average defense his entire career.

Rivers definitely. Palmer, maybe not. Looking at those QBR stats ..... Matt Ryan is consistently very high on those year after year. Better than his passer ratings, at a quick glance.

Last edited:

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We passed on Aaron Rodgers. He was taken four spots after we took Marcus Spears. Obviously we didn't take Wilson. I assume we passed on Brees, because he was the first pick of the second round. In truth, we passed on all of them. Trades are possible.

Rivers definitely. Palmer, maybe not. Looking at those QBR stats ..... Matt Ryan is consistently very high on those year after year. Better than his passer ratings, at a quick glance.

So, in effect, Romo was in the top 5 or 6 of QBs during his career? Not too shabby for a bum as he's been called repeatedly on this forum.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the great stories about sports ever, no one gave him much of a chance and if not for Payton being a Cowboy and Eastern Illinois alum, he's not a Cowboy. Gets invited to the Combine to work out TE's, not even show up as a QB. Prophecy? He would go on to make a TE a household name.

Next to Roger, the most fun Cowboys QB to watch and when he got ready to release it, I was always on the edge of my seat. He was fearless like Roger and did whatever he could to keep a play alive.

I do not elevate Romo to where he doesn't belong but watching him as the Cowboys QB was a kick in the pants and sometimes, a kick in the gut. I am glad he was here.

I also think they should have granted his request to at least let him compete for the job. I think that really damaged his relationship with his friend, Garrett. i do not think it was his call but I think Romo feels he should have fought for him more. Really tough for a competitor like Romo to go out that way.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Looking back 3 biggest surprises to me were;

*Romo had no trade value......only 2 teams (Texans and Broncos) showed mile interest but only if he was released. Elway admitted some interest but flatly said he would not give a draft pick for him.

* How committed Jerry, Stephen and Garrett were to Dak. I expected them to ride Dak through the regular season as long as he was winning. But I also thought Romo would be their trump card for the playoffs coz Dak's lack of experience. In other words, I didn't expect them to let an inexperienced rookie lose a playoff game with a healthy Romo sitting on the bench.

* How fractured he and Garrett's relationship had become. Imagine if Dak was benched during the playoff for more experience Romo and we advanced to NFCCG. They would have no choice but to give him his job back or at a min let him compete for it during the 2017 season. Looking back, it's obvious they DID NOT want him on the team. His days as a Cowboy were over.

FYI.......I always said and still believe a HEALTHY Tony Romo was better than Dak but you could no longer trust his health.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Nope, they released him and lied about him retiring. He was some kind of pissed when informed about it in an interview. He still thought he was going to play.
Wait so his media interview crying was a sham? I like Jerry even less i didnt think it was possible

KB1122

Reaction score
So, in effect, Romo was in the top 5 or 6 of QBs during his career? Not too shabby for a bum as he's been called repeatedly on this forum.

1) #8 or 9.
2. Not good enough to win championships, either.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He should've gotten his starting job back.
He was 100% healthy and ready to roll.
Totally disagree. We had such a great momentum. And what does he done in the playoff to prove he should’ve gone back. After all wasn’t it Prescott. That through Jason Witten, and Dez Bryant, the first ever playoff touchdown catches

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait so his media interview crying was a sham? I like Jerry even less i didnt think it was possible
You should have seen Aikman's reaction when he was asked about his "retiring". His eyes flashed and he said he had not retired, he was released.

I think he understood why because Booger could not be the bad guy. Injury got Irvin, Parcells got Emmitt and he didn't want to get Aikman so he lied. That's just another reason why Booger is not a good GM. The tough decisions are the ones that have to be made like SF did about Montana, Rice and Lott. Think they wanted to let the backbone of those teams go?

That's the difference between a GM like Jones and a professional one like Policy. Jones lives in the now and Policy was already working on the next team behind that one and that became the Niner way. That's the difference with Belichick, it is never done. He never sits back and admires his work because he's too busy working on the next one.

The irony of this is that the most successful business as a NFL franchise is the Dallas Cowboys and the least likely run like a business.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because Romo was an average leader even at his best
I think that was his downfall. His locker room presents just wasn’t there. That’s why I had BFF Witten. Other receivers weren’t expecting the ball. Like take Patrick for instance . Playoff against the Giants that’s why he wasn’t ready for it. I’ll never forget Romo going to Cabo during the playoffs

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romo‘s best years came after he was married. He seem to settle him down some . I didn’t like him going to Cabo during the playoffs. Yeah I’ll get slammed for that but I didn’t like it. I don’t think he had a great locker room presence. I think he played favorites and I think that was part of his problem

Qcard

Reaction score
I think that was his downfall. His locker room presents just wasn’t there. That’s why I had BFF Witten. Other receivers weren’t expecting the ball. Like take Patrick for instance . Playoff against the Giants that’s why he wasn’t ready for it. I’ll never forget Romo going to Cabo during the playoffs
It's laughable how Romo lovers (not you necessarily) always Single out Patrick Crayton error.

Great QBs find a way....Romo always had an excuse but he's the only QB to play for HOF Head Coaches....Parcells Inducted Wade Soon to be Inducted (Since Jimmy)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo‘s best years came after he was married. He seem to settle him down some . I didn’t like him going to Cabo during the playoffs. Yeah I’ll get slammed for that but I didn’t like it. I don’t think he had a great locker room presence. I think he played favorites and I think that was part of his problem
I agree and I chalk some of that up to how he came up and who he idolized as a player.

My biggest issue with him was the moping after making a mistake. He would often compound a mistake with another.

As far as putting him back in when he was healthy for the playoffs, nope. They had to go with the hot hand and how do they know how Romo would have responded with his backup showing up like that with 13 wins? Might he have tried too hard, taken even more risks?

The irony of Romo was my biggest complaint about him was holding the ball too long and not throwing it away to play another day and what costs him his career? All he had to do was spike the ball, it was preseason. A truly dumb play.