PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-is-looking-for-ways-to-justify-being-cheap

As to paying his key players, Jerry Jones is looking for ways to justify being cheap​

I might have given Jerry Jones too much credit.

That statement applies in various ways to his team’s handling of contracts for key players this offseason. As we observed during PFT Live after the Cowboys made no early-offseason progress with quarterback Dak Prescott, receiver CeeDee Lamb, and linebacker Micah Parsons, when it comes to paying great young players, Jones and company are: (1) cheap; (2) short-sighted; and (3) not as smart as they think they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's trying to be cheap, but will end up paying top dollars and will cave in to whatever the player's agent wants. We've seen this before, end of discussion. We will all believe Jerry was serious once we see if certain players stick around on this team

Sydla

Reaction score
Bingo.

Eventually people will start to wake up to this. Jerry and his son have figured out a way to still field, typically, a decent enough team while also squeezing every single penny they can out of the team.

They could have freed up a bunch of cap space early if they had resigned Dak and/or Lamb and/or Parsons. They purposely did not. Instead, they spent the entire offseason whining about their cap constraints, etc. While other teams are aggressive in getting better, the Cowboys have decided the best path forward for the Jones family is do just enough to field a decent enough team while pocketing every free dollar they can.

I used to think it was just incompetence that has the Cowboys stuck in this purgatory but the last 5-7 years, it's not been incompetence but rather a conscious decision to put cash into their accounts above fielding a true SB contender.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bingo.

Eventually people will start to wake up to this. Jerry and his son have figured out a way to still field, typically, a decent enough team while also squeezing every single penny they can out of the team.

They could have freed up a bunch of cap space early if they had resigned Dak and/or Lamb and/or Parsons. They purposely did not. Instead, they spent the entire offseason whining about their cap constraints, etc. While other teams are aggressive in getting better, the Cowboys have decided the best path forward for the Jones family is do just enough to field a decent enough team while pocketing every free dollar they can.

I used to think it was just incompetence that has the Cowboys stuck in this purgatory but the last 5-7 years, it's not been incompetence but rather a conscious decision to put cash into their accounts above fielding a true SB contender.
relying too much on a few key players (micah, tank, dak, lamb, diggs, and bland)

kskboys

Reaction score
No he's not. It's much worse than that. Jerry and Stephanie have no clue how the NFL works, that's what you're seeing that you're saying is him being cheap. He's incompetent, not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:

kskboys

Reaction score
Bingo.

Ooooh, you and I w/ the rare disagreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe they are smart enough for this line of thought. I think it is no more than pure incompetence. Which is worse.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.

Brooksey

Reaction score
He's trying to be cheap, but will end up paying top dollars and will cave in to whatever the player's agent wants. We've seen this before, end of discussion. We will all believe Jerry was serious once we see if certain players stick around on this team
Offering 57M a year to a playoff choker is being cheap? Gimme a break

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

pushing money to the future is a smart way??

Sydla

Reaction score
Ooooh, you and I w/ the rare disagreement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe they are smart enough for this line of thought. I think it is no more than pure incompetence. Which is worse.
I once thought this as well but as you watch these guys talk, it becomes clear what their plan is.

The fact they didn't sign one of their best players over the last 12 months and then spent the last few months complaining about their cap problems shows you, very clearly, they have a plan.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I once thought this as well but as you watch these guys talk, it becomes clear what their plan is.

The fact they didn't sign one of their best players over the last 12 months and then spent the last few months complaining about their cap problems shows you, very clearly, they have a plan.
you're about to see the plan, they're just bluffing to stay in the news

Sydla

Reaction score

Except he's not up against the cap every year. It's a choice they make. While other teams manipulate the cap to get better and sign players (cough, cough division rival for example), the Jones don't use all the tools available to manipulate the cap because they love using their self inflicted cap constraints to justify why they are cheap in FA, etc.

Praxit

Reaction score
.. I disagree , I think jerry is trying to be most cost effective, with the signings. What's the common most situation that usually happens after a player signs a big check? They resort back to being avg Joe's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Is that not what I said. How to handle the cap better?
How they "handle" the cap is on purpose, not some sort of misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on how the cap works.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if they had signed Dak and/or Lamb back in March, for example, they'd have freed up cap space to sign a couple of key vets in FA. They chose NOT TO sign Dak and Lamb back then because, instead, they wanted to give the appearance that they are cap strapped which then justifies the fact they signed basically no one in FA.

They are playing a game here and hoping the fans aren't paying attention.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Yeah he's the same guy that said we're HAPPY to have these contract issues with dak/lamb/parsons
It's nice to have good players but every player wants a record deal. It's looking like Lamb and Parsons and a rookie QB.

Maybe with the 50M a year QB savings we make the defense #1, special, draft some young RB's and let Trey drive the bus.

Sydla

Reaction score
.. I disagree , I think jerry is trying to be most cost effective, with the signings. What's the common most situation that usually happens after a player signs a big check? They resort back to being avg Joe's.
So Lamb or Parsons will go back to being average Joe's if they signed a big deal, say, in March?