PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the part that too few seem to understand. He's got to pay out the min so it's not like the money not spent on one players contract isn't getting spent on someone else.

Now when cash comes out of the pocket & how it all affects the cap numbers aren't as straightforward.
It's a minimum floor they have to meet but that doesn't mean they are all spending the same. Somewhere along the line you guys believed that over a short period of years then all spending would be equal across all teams. That's not accurate. Again, you can look up the data yourself.

Over the last decade, the Cowboys have ranked in the bottom half of the league in cash spending 6 of the 10 years. They've only been in the Top 10 of cash spending, 3 of those ten years (and one they were tenth and the other two, it was largely due to the big contracts to Dak and Elliott).

Reid1boys

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-is-looking-for-ways-to-justify-being-cheap

As to paying his key players, Jerry Jones is looking for ways to justify being cheap​

I might have given Jerry Jones too much credit.

That statement applies in various ways to his team’s handling of contracts for key players this offseason. As we observed during PFT Live after the Cowboys made no early-offseason progress with quarterback Dak Prescott, receiver CeeDee Lamb, and linebacker Micah Parsons, when it comes to paying great young players, Jones and company are: (1) cheap; (2) short-sighted; and (3) not as smart as they think they are.
Cheap???? So if the highest paid qb is making 55 million per season adn Jerry Offered Dak 54 million per, is he cheap?
Jefferson is making 35 million per season and if Jerry offered Lamb 34 million per, does that make Jerry Cheap?

So if Jerry doesnt hand out record setting deals to his best young players, he is a cheap arse trying to low ball his players? ah, got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No team in the NFL is cheap or is a big spender. Everyone spends the salary cap.

What matters is how you spend that money and Jerry has a history of spending it poorly. Here are some cap hits this year:
Dak $55m
Tank $20m
Steele $11m
Wilson $7.5m
Zeke $6m (no, not his current deal, still paying his last)
Tyron $6m
Gallup $4.5m

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/_/year/2024

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/overview/_/year/2024
You don't see that kind of stuff on SF. Trent Williams wants a big new deal at age 36 and the team is like "nope".
at age 36 it is a whole lot easier to say "Nope." Lets come back and discuss SF in a month from now in regards to Brandon Ayiuk.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's nice to have good players but every player wants a record deal. It's looking like Lamb and Parsons and a rookie QB.

Maybe with the 50M a year QB savings we make the defense #1, special, draft some young RB's and let Trey drive the bus.
exactly.... you get a record deal, you get a record deal, you get a record deal.... everyone gets a record deal......... pathetic that all these guys wont "Settle,"for number 2,3,or even 4 at their position Nope, I wear the star, I get massive publicity so my value is more. I love Lamb. But how many if had a choice would take Lamb straight up over Jefferson with equal contracts?

kskboys

Reaction score
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
People call him "cheap" in lieu of using some evaluation and thought processes to figure it out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cheap???? So if the highest paid qb is making 55 million per season adn Jerry Offered Dak 54 million per, is he cheap?
Jefferson is making 35 million per season and if Jerry offered Lamb 34 million per, does that make Jerry Cheap?

So if Jerry doesnt hand out record setting deals to his best young players, he is a cheap arse trying to low ball his players? ah, got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
People are confusing being really bad at contracts as being cheap.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Don’t know or care what that means but keep up, I’m not a big Jerry fan. He’s the main reason for all the futility since the 90’s.
the way you defend the front office means you are defending Jethro

Buzzbait

Reaction score
RING THE ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is he really thinking like this, probably not, but this seems to be what happens. How is it that these players have GREAT seasons all of a sudden seemingly around a new contract time. Then it's like after signing, they're either injured often, or don't have the same production
The key word is incentive. Once that big guaranteed monster contract hits the bank account, incentive begins to dwindle.
These ridiculous guaranteed contracts are not designed to fuel incentive. Teams just hope their guy will keep striving with all his might week after week, month after month despite the tendency of human nature to slack off once the money is in his pocket.
Everybody knows when you hire a contractor to roof or remodel your house you never ever pay the whole amount up front, never.