PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The Cowboys are the least CASH spending team. Other teams pay cash to players to manipulate contracts to stay under the cap. The Cowboys don't. They're cheap in that regard.
This also has a lot to do with some long-term contracts ending. They've had premium players locked up for a long time.

They're cheap in the UFA market - but guys like Tyron, Martin and DLaw not needing new contracts for an extended period makes a big difference too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ll sure be glad when these negotiations are done. But Jerry? He thinks he’s staying relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are the least CASH spending team. Other teams pay cash to players to manipulate contracts to stay under the cap. The Cowboys don't. They're cheap in that regard.
Proof?

The last team that tried this were fined and penalized heavily.

Also DeBartolo ended up selling SF because he did this as other unscrupulous things.

And if it were true, which I do not believe it is. Kudos to Jerry for being honest.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Normally I would agree but way too many teams are getting it done AND adding outside free agents. Jerry and Stephen refuse to bring free agents and STILL struggle to get their key players extended. Something is off.........this is from a poster that trusted their financial decisions.
We will see how these other teams do with the cap when those bills come due.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
Certain folks have agenda’s that they’ve staked their existence here on. The Cowboys trying to get under the salary cap doesn’t fit that agenda. Being so hateful about something blinds them until they’re unable to be reasonable anymore. It produces whacko statements like we’re seeing in this thread. Entertaining if nothing else. Definitely worth a few laughs.

Sydla

Reaction score
But there is a minimum to pay. And it is not like that money is in his pocket.

Self inflicted cap constraints ... yes, and they need to get out from under that. And they have a chance to do it after this season. But will they.
And they pay the minimum. Again, it's not exactly a big secret here. Over the last few years, they have been one of the LOWEST cash spending teams in the NFL.

They could have worked their cap constraints THIS OFFSEASON if they chose to. They did not. So this belief that they will in the future is hilarious. They count on fans like you to buy what they are selling.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Normally I would agree but way too many teams are getting it done AND adding outside free agents. Jerry and Stephen refuse to bring free agents and STILL struggle to get their key players extended. Something is off.........this is from a poster that trusted their financial decisions.
This isn't really true. Not difference-makers, anyway. KC and SF, for example, are shedding talent every year.

Dallas also doesn't really struggle to extend anybody. They're comfortable with guys holding out to try to save a couple million. At the end of the day, everyone gets signed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How many players are holding out right now? They all set deadlines before they agree to come off their ask, but what they use to define that deadline probably changes. Look at San Francisco.

Jordan Love held out until he got paid at the absolute top of the market based on 8 games. The Packers had a deadline and hit a number. It's the same thing Dallas does. It's what SF and Aiyuk/Williams are doing.

There is nothing unique about how the Cowboys negotiate contracts.
yes it is!!! We wait and wait and wait, and BOOM do the thing we say we're not going to do, look at the zeke deal years ago. (Don't get mad at me, i'm on your side!!)

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
yes it is!!! We wait and wait and wait, and BOOM do the thing we say we're not going to do, look at the zeke deal years ago. (Don't get mad at me, i'm on your side!!)
Going through that process doesn't mean they are struggling.

I think it is stupid, but the alternative is setting the market for every player.

Sydla

Reaction score
Certain folks have agenda’s that they’ve staked their existence here on. The Cowboys trying to get under the salary cap doesn’t fit that agenda. Being so hateful about something blinds them until they’re unable to be reasonable anymore. It produces whacko statements like we’re seeing in this thread. Entertaining if nothing else. Definitely worth a few laughs.
No, they just understand the salary cap better than homers like you.

The Cowboys had the ability to manipulate the cap this offseason, to create more cap space, and be more active in FA. They chose not to. Instead, they then went in front of the mics and complained about how cap strapped they were (when in fact, the situation wasn't as dire as they wanted you to believe).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How they "handle" the cap is on purpose, not some sort of misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on how the cap works.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if they had signed Dak and/or Lamb back in March, for example, they'd have freed up cap space to sign a couple of key vets in FA. They chose NOT TO sign Dak and Lamb back then because, instead, they wanted to give the appearance that they are cap strapped which then justifies the fact they signed basically no one in FA.

They are playing a game here and hoping the fans aren't paying attention.
Obviously you haven’t been paying attention these last few years. After getting burned many times in free agency and trades, Herschel Walker trade not withstanding, they decided 1st tier free agency is too risky. Not saying it’s right, just that that’s why they’ve taken their FA stance. And yes, they are salary cap strapped. What’s so hard for you to understand? And it takes 2 to tango and you’re implying that the reason they haven’t signed them is because of the FO when other parties involved may be the reason. This is an example of how being always hateful clouds your judgement as your unable to look at the situation objectively and just immediately attack.

Sydla

Reaction score
Proof?

The last team that tried this were fined and penalized heavily.

Also DeBartolo ended up selling SF because he did this as other unscrupulous things.

And if it were true, which I do not believe it is. Kudos to Jerry for being honest.
Not sure about the highlighted part but you can readily find the data that shows the Cowboys typically are near the bottom in many years when it comes to cash spending.

Sydla

Reaction score
Obviously you haven’t been paying attention these last few years. After getting burned many times in free agency and trades, Herschel Walker trade not withstanding, they decided 1st tier free agency is too risky. Not saying it’s right, just that that’s why they’ve taken their FA stance. And yes, they are salary cap strapped. What’s so hard for you to understand? And it takes 2 to tango and you’re implying that the reason they haven’t signed them is because of the FO when other parties involved may be the reason. This is an example of how being always hateful clouds your judgement as your unable to look at the situation objectively and just immediately attack.
Then they should come out and say it that way.

Instead, Jerry and his son spent the last few months saying, "woe is us, we are constrained by the cap, we can't do anything and have to save to pay our own guys.........."

That's BS and multiple people, including those in the press, have pointed this out. They had the flexibility in the cap to be more active in FA (and no, that doesn't mean signing big long term deals with FA, there are multiple smaller deals that could have helped this team). You are literally sucking up whatever they tell you because you are wired to believe the Jones' and Cowboys do pretty much everything right. They don't. You are being taken for a fool by the Jones and for some reason, you are perfectly content with that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And they pay the minimum. Again, it's not exactly a big secret here. Over the last few years, they have been one of the LOWEST cash spending teams in the NFL.

They could have worked their cap constraints THIS OFFSEASON if they chose to. They did not. So this belief that they will in the future is hilarious. They count on fans like you to buy what they are selling.
Not buying what they are selling. You are just trying to sell your negativity to others.
That I am not buying.

And thy are not paying the minimum again. They do not have much cap space last I seen. So how is that paying the minimum?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Then they should come out and say it that way.

Instead, Jerry and his son spent the last few months saying, "woe is us, we are constrained by the cap, we can't do anything and have to save to pay our own guys.........."

That's BS and multiple people, including those in the press, have pointed this out. They had the flexibility in the cap to be more active in FA (and no, that doesn't mean signing big long term deals with FA, there are multiple smaller deals that could have helped this team). You are literally sucking up whatever they tell you because you are wired to believe the Jones' and Cowboys do pretty much everything right. They don't. You are being taken for a fool by the Jones and for some reason, you are perfectly content with that.
Players want the shorter contracts, not the owners who want longer. And no need to resort to name calling just because you got called out for not know what you’re talking about as I explained in post #52.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not buying what they are selling. You are just trying to sell your negativity to others.
That I am not buying.

And thy are not paying the minimum again. They do not have much cap space last I seen. So how is that paying the minimum?
Sell negativity?

So facts equal negativity? These are facts. They are the cheapest team in the NFL when it comes to FA. They also tend to be one of the lower cap spending teams in the NFL when you look at the data. Their cap constraints are largely self inflicted giving the appearance they are up against the cap when in fact, they could manipulate and work the cap like most other NFL teams in order to sign FAs, etc.

The problem here is that as a fan, you struggle to come to grips with the fact that the Cowboys don't go the extra mile to get better, etc and that in fact, they seemingly don't invest in the roster like some of their peers do.