PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
.. I disagree , I think jerry is trying to be most cost effective, with the signings. What's the common most situation that usually happens after a player signs a big check? They resort back to being avg Joe's.
RING THE ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Post of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is he really thinking like this, probably not, but this seems to be what happens. How is it that these players have GREAT seasons all of a sudden seemingly around a new contract time. Then it's like after signing, they're either injured often, or don't have the same production

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's nice to have good players but every player wants a record deal. It's looking like Lamb and Parsons and a rookie QB.

Maybe with the 50M a year QB savings we make the defense #1, special, draft some young RB's and let Trey drive the bus.
hey you're on fire now man, new rebuild, and if we can't get trey to sign hell there's always a rookie we can groom with our new coach!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They didn't want to pay Emmitt either and that was before the salary cap existed.

They just don't like to "lose" deals.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They didn't want to pay Emmitt either and that was before the salary cap existed.

They just don't like to "lose" deals.
They embrace deadlines though, and end up often paying what they said they weren't. It's a really weird way of doing business

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except he's not up against the cap every year. It's a choice they make. While other teams manipulate the cap to get better and sign players (cough, cough division rival for example), the Jones don't use all the tools available to manipulate the cap because they love using their self inflicted cap constraints to justify why they are cheap in FA, etc.
But there is a minimum to pay. And it is not like that money is in his pocket.

Self inflicted cap constraints ... yes, and they need to get out from under that. And they have a chance to do it after this season. But will they.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They embrace deadlines though, and end up often paying what they said they weren't. It's a really weird way of doing business
Ok but players embrace deadlines and sign for less than they originally asked, just like 22.

Dak and CD would be signed today at $60m and $36m, respectively, but they need to reach a deadline - whatever it is - before they come down off their asks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it's not what you said, I was asking a question
Oh, my bad. Sorry.
no pushing money into the future is not good either. They probably thought it was at the time to save cap space to keep players. Now it has back fired big time.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
But there is a minimum to pay. And it is not like that money is in his pocket.

Self inflicted cap constraints ... yes, and they need to get out from under that. And they have a chance to do it after this season. But will they.
"Let's not have a quarterback so that we can be in good cap shape."

Brilliant strategy. Works for every team in the league.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ok but players embrace deadlines and sign for less than they originally asked, just like 22.

Dak and CD would be signed today at $60m and $36m, respectively, but they need to reach a deadline - whatever it is - before they come down off their asks.
Yeah I hear you, but how many other players around the league have waited until a deadline to get a deal? There's multiple guys who have signed over the last few months that aren't being held up for whatever reason

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, my bad. Sorry.
no pushing money into the future is not good either. They probably thought it was at the time to save cap space to keep players. Now it has back fired big time.
Right so why do we continue to say that we could have signed dak and pushed his money to get more money to sign players. It's like really a lose lose situation in the end

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Let's not have a quarterback so that we can be in good cap shape."

Brilliant strategy. Works for every team in the league.
When you need to make changes because what is there is not working out. And you trade for a possible future QB. And can fix the cap at the same time.
You take that chance.
I love making the playoffs every year. But I do not like losing in game or or rarely in game 2 of them every year.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah I hear you, but how many other players around the league have waited until a deadline to get a deal? There's multiple guys who have signed over the last few months that aren't being held up for whatever reason
How many players are holding out right now? They all set deadlines before they agree to come off their ask, but what they use to define that deadline probably changes. Look at San Francisco.

Jordan Love held out until he got paid at the absolute top of the market based on 8 games. The Packers had a deadline and hit a number. It's the same thing Dallas does. It's what SF and Aiyuk/Williams are doing.

There is nothing unique about how the Cowboys negotiate contracts.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
When you need to make changes because what is there is not working out. And you trade for a possible future QB. And can fix the cap at the same time.
You take that chance.
I love making the playoffs every year. But I do not like losing in game or or rarely in game 2 of them every year.
You don't fix the cap if you trade for a "possible future QB."

If that guy is good you've a) given up a ton of draft capital and b) have to give him a market-setting contract anyways.

Jordan Love has a tiny body of work and just got a massive, massive deal. Kirk Cousins is 36 years old, coming off a significant injury and got a massive deal and the organization believes in his future so little they drafted a QB in the top 10 lol.

There is no such thing as a cheap, winning QB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't fix the cap if you trade for a "possible future QB."

If that guy is good you've a) given up a ton of draft capital and b) have to give him a market-setting contract anyways.
I was referring to Trey Lance, they only gave up a 4th round pick.
They can allow Dak to play out his contract. And if fails again, they fix the cap by not overpaying him.
If he finally has success in the playoffs. Then you work out a deal that is more cap friendly.

stiletto

Reaction score
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
The Cowboys are the least CASH spending team. Other teams pay cash to players to manipulate contracts to stay under the cap. The Cowboys don't. They're cheap in that regard.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I was referring to Trey Lance, they only gave up a 4th round pick.
They can allow Dak to play out his contract. And if fails again, they fix the cap by not overpaying him.
If he finally has success in the playoffs. Then you work out a deal that is more cap friendly.
Trey Lance sucks. If he is good, you are immediately going to have to pay him $55-60m.

You're never saving money. Say Dak gets hurt in November and Lance plays well over the last two months of the season. The floor for his extension - which would start next year - is Jordan Love's deal.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
Normally I would agree but way too many teams are getting it done AND adding outside free agents. Jerry and Stephen refuse to bring free agents and STILL struggle to get their key players extended. Something is off.........this is from a poster that trusted their financial decisions.