PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

Sydla

Reaction score
Reports from who? Fish? Cowturd? LOL! Maybe they should’ve signed this guy?

Houston Texans defensive end Denico Autry has been suspended six games for violating the NFL's policy against performance enhancing drugs.

Autry, who signed with the Texans on a two-year, $20 million contract earlier this year as a free agent, said in a statement that he did not intentionally violate the league's policy but accepts the punishment.
LOL.

I figured this would be your excuse. So we shouldn't trust the media in their reporting but who we should trust is Rockport. And FWIW, it's been reported by multiple outlets including the Dallas Morning News. It was only recently that the Cowboys made substantive attempts to sign Lamb.

And the part about Autry is bizarre, even for you. Are you saying his failing a drug test proves the Cowboys strategy in FA and signing players is smart?

Creeper

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...es-is-looking-for-ways-to-justify-being-cheap

As to paying his key players, Jerry Jones is looking for ways to justify being cheap​

I might have given Jerry Jones too much credit.

That statement applies in various ways to his team’s handling of contracts for key players this offseason. As we observed during PFT Live after the Cowboys made no early-offseason progress with quarterback Dak Prescott, receiver CeeDee Lamb, and linebacker Micah Parsons, when it comes to paying great young players, Jones and company are: (1) cheap; (2) short-sighted; and (3) not as smart as they think they are.
I think he is trying to justify whatever his actions are. He delays these signings and winds up paying a lot more so I don't know if it is about being cheap or just that he thinks one day a deal will fall into his lap.

If Jerry holds the line in CeeDee and trades him or let's him walk I will be shocked, and impressed. But we all know Jerry will sign CeeDee and probably pay him more than any other receiver.

Brax

Reaction score
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
I don’t get it either, you’re forced to spend a certain amount of cap dollars and all teams must hit the total number every few years, Jerry an company don’t get to pocket any cap dollars that’s for players, gross mismanagement of cap allocation by Over paying good players or favorites elite money And kicking the can down the road till there’s dead money in the sad belief that he has a SB roster every year is the reason, we like our guys, we like our chances, it’s a championship team we put together, just bad luck, I’m sick over it , I’m all in, trust me, give me credit, it’s hard to pay all these players, Dak needs to do more with less, we believe in Garret, MM, TR, Dak, I make all the decisions, they look good, winning is the only thing that matters, we expect a championship every year, and last but not least, I’d of fired me as GM but I don’t have to worry about that I own the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.

I figured this would be your excuse. So we shouldn't trust the media in their reporting but who we should trust is Rockport. And FWIW, it's been reported by multiple outlets including the Dallas Morning News. It was only recently that the Cowboys made substantive attempts to sign Lamb.

And the part about Autry is bizarre, even for you. Are you saying his failing a drug test proves the Cowboys strategy in FA and signing players is smart?
Hate on Bro. You do you.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry has the old school mentality that whomever reaches out 1st gets the losing end of the deal, so these agents just sit back and wait knowing their big time players will get a max contract here or somewhere else.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t get it either, you’re forced to spend a certain amount of cap dollars and all teams must hit the total number every few years, Jerry an company don’t get to pocket any cap dollars that’s for players, gross mismanagement of cap allocation by Over paying good players or favorites elite money And kicking the can down the road till there’s dead money in the sad belief that he has a SB roster every year is the reason, we like our guys, we like our chances, it’s a championship team we put together, just bad luck, I’m sick over it , I’m all in, trust me, give me credit, it’s hard to pay all these players, Dak needs to do more with less, we believe in Garret, MM, TR, Dak, I make all the decisions, they look good, winning is the only thing that matters, we expect a championship every year, and last but not least, I’d of fired me as GM but I don’t have to worry about that I own the team.
There is a floor but just hitting the floor doesn't mean you are doing what other teams have done.

In terms of actual cash spent on players, if you look at the last three years, the Cowboys are 32nd, 11th, 29th in cash spending. They did rise to 2nd and 3rd in 2020 and 2021 but that was tied to the extensions for Dak and Elliott. Going further back starting in 2018, they were 18th in cash spending, then 30th, then 30th again, then 10th and then 18th.

Cash spending is ACTUAL CASH spent on the roster. If you work the cap a certain way, you can absolutely end up spending less cash over a period than other teams.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hate on Bro. You do you.
LOL. Typical Rockport. After finding out that it wasn't some fringe weirdo reporting that Lamb had only recently gotten serious overtures about a new contract from the Cowboys, but actually the Dallas Morning News, Rocky tucks it and runs.

The Cowboys didn't try to sign Lamb early because they simply had no desire to use his freed up cap space from an extension on FAs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don’t know or care what that means but keep up, I’m not a big Jerry fan. He’s the main reason for all the futility since the 90’s.
Yep and one of the ways he's helped this team go on a futile run is his mismanagement of the cap, his lack of desire to spend cash/cheapness in FA, etc.

And yet here you are defending how they use the cap. LOL. You are an odd duck, that's for sure.

CCBoy

Reaction score
do you ever get tired of shilling for Jethro?
No, rug rats always quote their own excuses....so? How is US Ruby teams, both men and women, doing in the Olympics? Stuck in a rut here?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yep and one of the ways he's helped this team go on a futile run is his mismanagement of the cap, his lack of desire to spend cash/cheapness in FA, etc.

And yet here you are defending how they use the cap. LOL. You are an odd duck, that's for sure.

1st Rd

2020 - CD Lamb WR
2021 - Mica Parsons LB
2022 - Tyler Smith OT
2023 - Mazi Smith DT
2024 - Tyler Guyton OT

2nd Rd

2020 Trevon Diggs | Round 2, Pick 51
CB
2021 Kelvin Joseph | Round 2, Pick 44
DB
2022 Sam Williams | Round 2, Pick 56
EDGE, Ole Miss
2023 Luke Schoonmaker | Round 2, Pick 58
TE,
2024 Marshawn Kneeland | Round 2, Pick 56
EDGE

Tops of last FIVE DRAFTS

As to use of cap...that is going to top NFL positional players. Stupid?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
But there is a minimum to pay. And it is not like that money is in his pocket.
This is the part that too few seem to understand. He's got to pay out the min so it's not like the money not spent on one players contract isn't getting spent on someone else.

Now when cash comes out of the pocket & how it all affects the cap numbers aren't as straightforward.

Sydla

Reaction score
1st Rd

2020 - CD Lamb WR
2021 - Mica Parsons LB
2022 - Tyler Smith OT
2023 - Mazi Smith DT
2024 - Tyler Guyton OT

2nd Rd

2020 Trevon Diggs | Round 2, Pick 51
CB
2021 Kelvin Joseph | Round 2, Pick 44
DB
2022 Sam Williams | Round 2, Pick 56
EDGE, Ole Miss
2023 Luke Schoonmaker | Round 2, Pick 58
TE,
2024 Marshawn Kneeland | Round 2, Pick 56
EDGE

Tops of last FIVE DRAFTS

As to use of cap...that is going to top NFL positional players. Stupid?
What's your point? That the Cowboys are the only team in the NFL that has to sign their players to big contracts and therefore, it's understandable that they don't spend anything in FA to help improve their roster?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's trying to be cheap, but will end up paying top dollars and will cave in to whatever the player's agent wants. We've seen this before, end of discussion. We will all believe Jerry was serious once we see if certain players stick around on this team
You'd think he learned something from the Walker deal. Not that he could get the same deal today, but like you said, he will eventually pony up whatever it takes to keep his pets....

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
.. I disagree , I think jerry is trying to be most cost effective, with the signings. What's the common most situation that usually happens after a player signs a big check? They resort back to being avg Joe's.
You are correct , of late there is no good return after big contract awards, D law got his contract after that he is steady but not exceptional, some guys like Jaylon were not worth 2nd contract but Jerry is blind sided and got burned too often.

But if he really want to do this better, he needs to draft replacement talent which is good enough for him not to have to offer 2nd contracts all together like the pats used to do. For that you need to acquire draft capital by shrewd trades and don’t lose picks on guess picks ( Lance for ex. )

A real GM instead of Jones boys

doomsday9084

Reaction score
No team in the NFL is cheap or is a big spender. Everyone spends the salary cap.

What matters is how you spend that money and Jerry has a history of spending it poorly. Here are some cap hits this year:
Dak $55m
Tank $20m
Steele $11m
Wilson $7.5m
Zeke $6m (no, not his current deal, still paying his last)
Tyron $6m
Gallup $4.5m

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/_/year/2024

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/overview/_/year/2024
You don't see that kind of stuff on SF. Trent Williams wants a big new deal at age 36 and the team is like "nope".