PFT: As to paying key players, Jerry is looking for ways to justify being cheap

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't think Jerry is cheap, He is being prudent regarding Dak. He's decided to let Dak play out his final contract year without an extension. To avoid answering to that decision, he's not being forthright with the plan and instead tells the media about being ambiguous.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It does but from my understanding it counts differently and things get front loaded or back loaded. Cans get kicked down the road and teams spread it out, treat it as neverending and as the cap goes up things get washed. That's all I know.

A salary cap guru might be able to better explain it. There used to be a guy here that was great at explaining stuff like this. Lol
AdamJT really knew his stuff. and had info that told me he was well plugged in
Sadly its been years since he posted

stiletto

Reaction score
Yes AdamJT. He would know. He has not posted for a very long time.
Over the cap website explains a lot. That actually give Adam credit when explaining how the cap works.
Not sure it addresses the cash parts.
Yes Adam.

It's like a science/art. I definitely don't pretend to be an expert. I just know teams do different things with the bonuses and make it work. Eagles are a prime example.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the article:

Jerry Jones said:
That’s exactly what I’m really trying to tell everybody is, frankly, I’ve got a better feel than other people because I have a sense of what revenues might be for the whole league. And so that if you see me optimistic, then you must know that I think it’s pretty good. If you see me a little cautious, you must know that I’m being cautious. I’m the best at looking around corners. As far as body language and instincts, I’m better than anybody.
90's Jerry Jones would have a point. 90's Jones was innovative and had foresight to capitalize on financial opportunities most of the league were blind or not as aggressive in exploiting. The rest of the league has long since caught up in predicting trends affecting clubs' near and long-range futures.

But no... The Mad Genius knows all. Sees all. Never fear. The best general manager, ever enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame inside his own head, will outwit no one in the end.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Eagles took a big dead money hit to move Wentz. What are you talking about? They took nearly a $35 million dead cap hit in 2021.
The Eagles make mistakes on guys, paying big dollars and the guy doesn’t pan out. Yes, they sign FAs. But they lose guys to FA. What their owner does not do is make contract negotiations contentious. Jerry Jones forces his top players to have to put undue focus on compensation. That cannot be beneficial to the team’s culture. The irony is he ends up paying what he’s required to pay In player compensation. What is the point of making players jump through hoops seemingly every year.

John813

Reaction score
How is it trying to be cheap when you are against the cap every year. I mean he does have to follow the cap rules like every team does.

Hilarious how we get 10,000 articles and threads about it.

It is NOT being cheap. It about how to manage the cap better.
The NFL has an unique setup where actual pay to the players and what the cap hit can be wildly different on a year to year basis.

When Dak Prescott signed his deal, they then restructured it the same year to drop the cap hit. His cap hit was 17.2mil. He took home 75mil.
This year his cap hit is 55mil, but his take home salary is 34mil.

Dallas could of restructured him again this year. His total take home wouldn't of changed, but the cap hit would of dropped.

Due to the above, the cap hits for the top 51 are 279mil. The salary is 219mil.

There is no limit on salary spent on a year to year basis. Jeff Bezos could buy a team and payout 500mil in actually salary to his players but his GM could adjust cap hits to be under the cap ceiling.

Sydla

Reaction score
That, and Jerry has always paid his team leading stars. I understand loss of perspective for those who look for excuses to follow. Lol
LOL.

The irony.............

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Personally I don't blame Jerry on this. The so called key players have failed spectacularly when it mattered.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry is cheap, He is being prudent regarding Dak. He's decided to let Dak play out his final contract year without an extension. To avoid answering to that decision, he's not being forthright with the plan and instead tells the media about being ambiguous.
Just because he'll sign Lamb and Dak to big extensions doesn't mean he's not cheap. Jerry likes to keep his drafted guys. I think, to an extent, he believes if he signs them to an extension it justifies his drafting of that player. And Jerry loves to be told how great he is at drafting.

What Jerry doesn't do, is sign outside FAs. He won't spend cash on those guys and in order to justify that complete failure of a strategy, he likes to claim the Cowboys are cap strapped and that they basically only have room for their guys to sign. It's a fallacy. Other teams keep their best players and are also more active in FA than we are.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
AdamJT really knew his stuff. and had info that told me he was well plugged in
Sadly its been years since he posted
He left - with a lot of other good posters - because this site is full of people who do not care about fact lol

silver

Reaction score
I think he's trying to tank the season. Not sure he's looking at a college QB like Shedeur or not, but definetively looking at Bellichick. I also think he's bored to being a playoff contender and wants to see if he can get a rookie QB like he did with Aikman in '89 and start over. He doesn't want to be saddled with a long contract with Dak otherwise he would've extenden him last year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Except he's not up against the cap every year. It's a choice they make. While other teams manipulate the cap to get better and sign players (cough, cough division rival for example), the Jones don't use all the tools available to manipulate the cap because they love using their self inflicted cap constraints to justify why they are cheap in FA, etc.
you should read the rules on cap spending, each team has to spend about 92 % of each years cap or they get fined.
So while it is true they can keep a small %
(which is stealing from the players and nflpa should not have allowed this and I wonder why they did?? paid off I guess lol)
But most of it they HAVE TO SPEND IT . They can roll it over, which also should have more restrictions than it does.

So even out of the $ they have to spend, this season it would seem cowboys are way below what they should spend, but maybe they are paying off
past debts, like daks money owed and other money owed , to clear the way for more spending and more debt later on lol.

But the nflpa allowed all this cap nonsense to get out of control like it is.

The jones boys being the scrooges they are, probably are taking the max amount they can , but that still leaves plenty to spend.

Sydla

Reaction score
you should read the rules on cap spending, each team has to spend about 92 % of each years cap or they get fined.
So while it is true they can keep a small %
(which is stealing from the players and nflpa should not have allowed this and I wonder why they did?? paid off I guess lol)
But most of it they HAVE TO SPEND IT . They can roll it over, which also should have more restrictions than it does.

So even out of the $ they have to spend, this season it would seem cowboys are way below what they should spend, but maybe they are paying off
past debts, like daks money owed and other money owed , to clear the way for more spending and more debt later on lol.

But the nflpa allowed all this cap nonsense to get out of control like it is.

The jones boys being the scrooges they are, probably are taking the max amount they can , but that still leaves plenty to spend.
I know the rules on cap spending. But I also know that the Cowboys tend to fall near the bottom of the scale in actual cash spending unless they sign one of their guys to a big contract.

So the general premise isn't wrong. The Cowboys are simply cheaper than many other teams and that shows up, most notably, in FA spending. In order to cover up their cheapness, they complain about cap constraints and not having enough space to sign other players and that three guys will eat up 50% (or was it 75%?) of their cap.....................

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think he's trying to tank the season. Not sure he's looking at a college QB like Shedeur or not, but definetively looking at Bellichick. I also think he's bored to being a playoff contender and wants to see if he can get a rookie QB like he did with Aikman in '89 and start over. He doesn't want to be saddled with a long contract with Dak otherwise he would've extenden him last year.
He's already offered Dak 55 million. If he's going to sign Dak then what's the point in tanking?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.

You do realize they could have created more space in March if they had wanted to, right? Signing even one of Lamb or Dak or Parsons would have created cap space this offseason.

You act like it's only the Cowboys that have to sign their own players to big contracts.
You do realize that maybe they tried and were rebuked by the agents? Nah, you don’t get that. It doesn’t fit your agenda.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know the rules on cap spending. But I also know that the Cowboys tend to fall near the bottom of the scale in actual cash spending unless they sign one of their guys to a big contract.

So the general premise isn't wrong. The Cowboys are simply cheaper than many other teams and that shows up, most notably, in FA spending. In order to cover up their cheapness, they complain about cap constraints and not having enough space to sign other players and that three guys will eat up 50% (or was it 75%?) of their cap.....................
Well they were lying about the % lol even fish was wondering how they came up with 70 %
Greed is a sickness, and the jones boys are really sick ! lol

CWR

Reaction score
No he's not. It's much worse than that. Jerry and Stephanie have no clue how the NFL works, that's what you're seeing that you're saying is him being cheap. He's incompetent, not cheap.
Maybe it's a little bit of both.

Sydla

Reaction score
You do realize that maybe they tried and were rebuked by the agents? Nah, you don’t get that. It doesn’t fit your agenda.
You do realize that it was reported recently the Cowboys only recently started to engage Lamb on an extension?

Now why would they wait this long?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You do realize that it was reported recently the Cowboys only recently started to engage Lamb on an extension?

Now why would they wait this long?
Reports from who? Fish? Cowturd? LOL! Maybe they should’ve signed this guy?

Houston Texans defensive end Denico Autry has been suspended six games for violating the NFL's policy against performance enhancing drugs.

Autry, who signed with the Texans on a two-year, $20 million contract earlier this year as a free agent, said in a statement that he did not intentionally violate the league's policy but accepts the punishment.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No one needs to be a cap expert to get it.

You can borrow from future years to spend now if you so choose, but it’ll eventually catch up with you. Quite simple.

There’s nothing at all wrong with that if you plan ahead for a couple of bad seasons in order to take a handful of shots now. You’ll have a ton of dead money at one point, but that’s when you draft high and restock for the next run.

It makes full sense to operate that way since the system is set up to prevent extended success. Jerry and his kid think they can outsmart the system and never have a bad season. They also never come anywhere close to winning a championship.