PFT Blurb Updated: Goodell to hear Roy Williams appeal tomorrow

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
According to ESPN Radio, Roy Williams was sent a letter by the league stated that if he continued to use the Horse Collar, he would be suspended.

The league made good on its word.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1842857 said:
According to ESPN Radio, Roy Williams was sent a letter by the league stated that if he continued to use the Horse Collar, he would be suspended.

after he did it and more flags flew than a memorial day parade, he jumped up and down and i think he knew it was coming. at least that how i interpreted his reaction.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I still think its stupid that they are basically calling one person foul more important than the others. But what can you do.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Derinyar;1842919 said:
I still think its stupid that they are basically calling one person foul more important than the others. But what can you do.

True.

But Roy Williams has been fined and penalized for this particular tackling style.

What should have been the next step in getting his attention? Clearly fines and penalties were not effective enough.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
vicjagger;1842725 said:
PFT? Is that the same group that's reporting Wade Phillips is missing?

Wade Phillips seems to have forgotten about his 1:30 cst press conference.

Valley Ranch officials are conducting a search to include the donut shop across the way. Stay tuned for further details.
PFT was where I found the original blurb which stated Chris Mortensen reported it...and then it was later supported by a blog entry from DMN.

mickgreen58;1842857 said:

That's not exactly news, though. If you go back to the thread where it was reported he was fined for the HC earlier in the year, it was noted that the accompanying letter stated he could suspended on the next infraction, so it's not like he wasn't aware of the possibility.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1842935 said:
PFT was where I found the original blurb which stated Chris Mortensen reported it...and then it was later supported by a blog entry from DMN.

That's not exactly news, though. If you go back to the thread where it was reported he was fined for the HC earlier in the year, it was noted that the accompanying letter stated he could suspended on the next infraction, so it's not like he wasn't aware of the possibility.

Actually, that was my point. I wasn't posting it like it was ground breaking but to server as proof that he had indeed been warned.

I personally think he knew he was going to get the Kitchen Sink thrown at him, which would explain the little hissy fit he threw, after he was called for the Infraction.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58;1842945 said:
Actually, that was my point. I wasn't posting it like it was ground breaking but to server as proof that he had indeed been warned.
Gotcha...

I personally think he knew he was going to get the Kitchen Sink thrown at him, which would explain the little hissy fit he threw, after he was called for the Infraction.
Maybe the hissy fit was the fact every ref on the field threw their flag at him. Man, I had never seen so many flags fly out so fast. :p:

Derinyar

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1842923 said:
True.

But Roy Williams has been fined and penalized for this particular tackling style.

What should have been the next step in getting his attention? Clearly fines and penalties were not effective enough.

So then go back and find everyone who has committed three face masks, late hits, and which ever other personal fouls you want to find and tell them they are suspended also.

Of course all you would likely do is suspend about 10-15% of the starting defensive players in the NFL. Not too many personal fouls go to the offense.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Derinyar;1843007 said:
So then go back and find everyone who has committed three face masks, late hits, and which ever other personal fouls you want to find and tell them they are suspended also.

Of course all you would likely do is suspend about 10-15% of the starting defensive players in the NFL. Not too many personal fouls go to the offense.

Did those result in definate season ending injuries and possilby career ones as well?

TheGoat73

Reaction score
NewJCowboy;1842738 said:
If there is an appeals process for something that is going to cost me a weeks pay, then I would appeal regardless of the situation. That's just me though!

Also, I wouldn't give a d*** what the commissioner thought about it.

How many additional paychecks will it cost him next time he gets flagged for a horsecollar if he doesn't show Goodell some contrition now?

Sometimes you have to fight the good fight and sometimes you have to acquiesce. The better part of wisdom is to know the difference in the two.

I think the horsecollar rule is an unnecessary dilution of the essence of the game. It is rule that was implemented in a reactive manner following an aberrant number of injuries caused by a single player in a single season.

But it IS a rule. It is Roy's namesake. It is a rule that Roy Williams has broken repeatedly this season. At this point protesting the suspension will go straight to Goodell's ego. Ask Pac Man how quickly the NFL can go from arbitrary to capricious in disciplining players who don't seem remorseful.

Derinyar

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1843013 said:
Did those result in definate season ending injuries and possilby career ones as well?

Did any of Roy's this year? Hes not being penalized for hits in 2004 currently is he? If he is then I think he has a major gripe.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Derinyar;1843024 said:
Did any of Roy's this year? Hes not being penalized for hits in 2004 currently is he? If he is then I think he has a major gripe.

Of course he is?

This suspension has every bit to do with his past and for the most part, it is almost always about your past.

He has been fined and penalized for using the Horse Collar in the past.

Penalties and fines were not getting his attention, so the League took it to the next level.

If he was suspended after the first infraction, he would have a case, but it isn't.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Wonder if Goodell will quote some of the Cowboys players on what they think of the suspension...For example:

Keith Davis, who will replace Williams at strong safety, said he understood Sheriff Goodell's thinking in this case.

"This is the third time it happened," Davis said, referring to the number of Roy Williams Rule violations for Williams this season, "so this penalty is more than deserving, I guess."

WR Patrick Crayton said he's glad the league banned horse-collar tackles, a dangerous technique. And he said Williams shouldn't be surprised by the suspension, which the NFL warned him could be coming after he horse-collared Marshawn Lynch.

"He's been given so many warnings, plus the rule was put in place for him," Crayton said. "I don't know, that'd be a red light flashing in my head."

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
FCBarca;1843222 said:
Wonder if Goodell will quote some of the Cowboys players on what they think of the suspension...For example:

Even his teammates think he is a *******..

NewJCowboy

Reaction score
underdark;1843023 said:
How many additional paychecks will it cost him next time he gets flagged for a horsecollar if he doesn't show Goodell some contrition now?

Sometimes you have to fight the good fight and sometimes you have to acquiesce. The better part of wisdom is to know the difference in the two.

I think the horsecollar rule is an unnecessary dilution of the essence of the game. It is rule that was implemented in a reactive manner following an aberrant number of injuries caused by a single player in a single season.

But it IS a rule. It is Roy's namesake. It is a rule that Roy Williams has broken repeatedly this season. At this point protesting the suspension will go straight to Goodell's ego. Ask Pac Man how quickly the NFL can go from arbitrary to capricious in disciplining players who don't seem remorseful.

Goodell's ego!?!?!? :lmao: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....why should any player care about his ego? Roy wasn't involved in numerous off-field incidents where people were shot. So comparing the Roy and Pac Man situation is just stupid.

REGARDLESS of the rule violation that leads to a fine or a suspension, every player has the right to appeal the punishment handed down. Roy is taking an avenue that is available to him. As he should.

I guess there are situations where you should "aquiesce" :rolleyes: but I don't think this is one of them. His team is in the middle of an important push for home-field advantage in the playoffs. He should fight to get the ruling overturned. I'm pretty sure that his people can make a legitimate case for why a suspension is not warrented. It probably won't work but it is worth a try.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Derinyar;1843007 said:

Go ahead and do it, find us everyone that has committed 3 late hits this year and then find us everyone that has 3 personal foul facemasks this year, oh, and make sure the facemasks are on purpose like the horse collars are.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;1843331 said:
He can't do any worse....Can he ?!?!?:(

What Im waiting for is the Keith Davis > Roy Williams threads that will pop up as soon as the game is over.

I don't think Wade will attempt to try to use Keith in the same capacity as Roy. As a result, KD will probably just be out there told to not give up anything deep. So, KD won't and that will be that.

However I also doubt that he will be in on very many plays. He'll probably just be out there.

Kilyin

Reaction score
jimmy40;1843608 said:
Go ahead and do it, find us everyone that has committed 3 late hits this year and then find us everyone that has 3 personal foul facemasks this year, oh, and make sure the facemasks are on purpose like the horse collars are.

And just how does one determine if a facemask was intentional? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer are ya?

Since both are illegal methods of tackling, I'd say we can call them both intentional since you automatically categorize the horse collar as such. Or is that only when Roy Williams does it that it's intentional?

Nevermind, I don't value your opinion enough to care.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
NewJCowboy;1843574 said:
Goodell's ego!?!?!? :lmao: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ....why should any player care about his ego? Roy wasn't involved in numerous off-field incidents where people were shot. So comparing the Roy and Pac Man situation is just stupid.

REGARDLESS of the rule violation that leads to a fine or a suspension, every player has the right to appeal the punishment handed down. Roy is taking an avenue that is available to him. As he should.

I guess there are situations where you should "aquiesce" :rolleyes: but I don't think this is one of them. His team is in the middle of an important push for home-field advantage in the playoffs. He should fight to get the ruling overturned. I'm pretty sure that his people can make a legitimate case for why a suspension is not warrented. It probably won't work but it is worth a try.

Sometimes you attack. Sometimes you parry.

Roy CAN be compared to Pac Man. Both are players who have, regardless of the dissimilar nature of their transgressions, earned the ire of the commish through repeatedly failing to understand what the league expects of them. Ask Pac Man how "just stupid" it was not to care about Goodell's ego - he'll probably be at home this Sunday - maybe you should call him and he can explain it to you.