PFT: Brian Schottenheimer, "We wanna play physical, fast, make everyone cover the entire field"

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-fast-make-everyone-cover-the-entire-field/

Brian Schottenheimer: I want us to play fast, make everyone cover the entire field​

Posted by Josh Alper on May 17, 2023, 10:17 AM EDT

“We wanna play physical, fast and to make everyone cover the entire field . . . I want us to be able to play fast. . . . It’s been a grind [but] it’s been fun,” Schottenhemier said, via the team’s website. “As you guys know, the system’s not broken. It’s not broken. They’ve won a lot of games here. Mike’s been around for that.”
so I guess we are not going to see 4 WR running 10 yard curl routes on a play anymore...well dang it!

Sydla

Reaction score
Wait, did we only want to make teams defend half the field in 2022?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Team was 4th in scoring last season but 11th in yards. I’d say the scoring ranking is a bit skewed due to some games that got out of hand (Bears, Colts). If we can finish top 10 in yards I’d call it an improvement unless we fall off a cliff in scoring.
Scoring is out of whack because the defense either scored the points themselves or set the offense up with turnovers more than any other team in the league. Not end of season but . . .

Motorola

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-fast-make-everyone-cover-the-entire-field/

Brian Schottenheimer: I want us to play fast, make everyone cover the entire field​

“We wanna play physical, fast and to make everyone cover the entire field . . . I want us to be able to play fast. . . . It’s been a grind [but] it’s been fun,” Schottenhemier said, via the team’s website. “As you guys know, the system’s not broken. It’s not broken. They’ve won a lot of games here. Mike’s been around for that.”
New. OC paraphrasing one of the DC''s mantras when Quinn was HC of the Falcons.

"We want to play Fast and Physical"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Of course

No one says they want to play soft, slow, and only between the hashes
That's what I was thinking. What OC would say anything differently. "We want to be one-dimensional and easy to figure out."

tunahelper

Reaction score

Now you understand why we signed Ronald Jones. Pick your poison.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This offense will go as the OL goes. Big questions regarding LG, Tyron’s availability, and Steele’s recovery from injury… and how do they mesh with Solari?
Agree it will come down to oline. Anxious to see this Edoga player. His tape against Dlaw was great.

quickccc

Reaction score
Typical cliché’ coach speak. Yaaawn. Don’t coaches always that ?.. . “ We’re gonna play Fast and Physical … Fast and Furious “ … blah, blah.

I don’t expect Shott, and McCarthy to say and reveal much. I don’t want them to. I even prefer they mislead and confuse media sources.

- Let McCarthy say “ we want to run the ball more, to help our defense “.
But I’ll take it as something else ..to what I wanna see.. expect to see.

- Yes, I expect a philosophy change per west coast type offense, no more option routes as to simply route design and less confusion on QB.
But what I am very, very anxious to see is how/what will be the McCarthy/Schott’s plan in involving and scheme-designing the RBs in both run and pass game.

- This won’t be Big Brutus Marshawn Lynch Beast mode pounding bell cow game.
We don’t have those type backs.

- But if it’s based on stretch run and misdirection (which includes strong emphasize RB screens) … that best favors and suits the strength of these backs, that’s what I am most looking forward to.

- Brandin Cooks is one of more explosive speed WRs in the NFL, and that add an over the top of a defense weapon threat that this offense has been lacking for many years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s sound football philosophy to “use the whole field”. The late great college coach Mike Leach was a master of how to spread the field and force the defense to cover every inch between the lines.

When you think about it, football has a ton of geometry in it. The coaches that understand how to use the entire field on offense are usually way ahead of the defense.

Looking at Mike Leach’s teams at Texas Tech, Wash. State and Miss State, you saw his offenses with far less athletic talent than most of their opponents, rack up video game numbers against everyone. His Tech teams beat Texas A&M 7 times in 10 seasons, beat OU AND Texas 4 times and went to 10 straight bowl seasons. His Wash State teams routinely beat USC, UCLA, and Oregon, and his Miss State team beat A&M both seasons, beat LSU, and made Ala sweat.

Spreading the field and using all of it just good football.

Big_D

Reaction score
They have the talent to actually do it. Everyone says it.. but a lot of the times the talent on the field says otherwise.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
How about keeping the defense of the field and not giving them short fields.