PFT: Brian Schottenheimer, "We wanna play physical, fast, make everyone cover the entire field"

817Gill

Reaction score
Any clarification on if he's talking about fast tempo or playing speed?

Uptempo is not complementary to the defense.
Mike said they wanted to be more complimentary to the defense in their playcalling. From that I assume Shotty means playing fast during a play not tempo,

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Team was 4th in scoring last season but 11th in yards. I’d say the scoring ranking is a bit skewed due to some games that got out of hand (Bears, Colts). If we can finish top 10 in yards I’d call it an improvement unless we fall off a cliff in scoring.
IDK, I'd prefer to have a high scoring ranking over high yardage. But winning percentage would clearly be the optimal statistic.
;)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-fast-make-everyone-cover-the-entire-field/

Brian Schottenheimer: I want us to play fast, make everyone cover the entire field​

Posted by Josh Alper on May 17, 2023, 10:17 AM EDT

“We wanna play physical, fast and to make everyone cover the entire field . . . I want us to be able to play fast. . . . It’s been a grind [but] it’s been fun,” Schottenhemier said, via the team’s website. “As you guys know, the system’s not broken. It’s not broken. They’ve won a lot of games here. Mike’s been around for that.”

I'm excited to see how Schotty handles the OC duties. I love the plan from him. I think our team will be special if all goes as planned.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The fact that my nephew who is a Seahawks fan laughed when he was named as a part of the OC team sort of has me weary. He says the playcalling was extremely predictable and it will be similar to what we had in the JG years.
Big Mike is calling the plays. Schottenheimer is just putting together the gameplans for him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
New. OC paraphrasing one of the DC''s mantras when Quinn was HC of the Falcons.

"We want to play Fast and Physical"

This makes me excited. It's worked for our defence, and I can't wait to see what our offense turns into. Itd be so fun seeing both sides playing complimentary on each side of the ball. If our ST can play smart, then I think we will have the team (assuming minimal injuries) to get back to the top of the mountain.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This makes me excited. It's worked for our defence, and I can't wait to see what our offense turns into. Itd be so fun seeing both sides playing complimentary on each side of the ball. If our ST can play smart, then I think we will have the team (assuming minimal injuries) to get back to the top of the mountain.

Plus, complimentary football works best when both sides play similar styles. It makes it fun when both sides gel.

T-RO

Reaction score
Spreading the field and using all of it just good football.
Sure, but this is just talk.

If you want to spread the field you need a scheme capable of doing so, and you need speed. Brandin Cooks sure helps but this WR group is average in speed, at best. Meanwhile Brian's offenses have never been known to be creative, dynamic or explosive.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The fact that my nephew who is a Seahawks fan laughed when he was named as a part of the OC team sort of has me weary. He says the playcalling was extremely predictable and it will be similar to what we had in the JG years.
Yup, came in here to say something similar. I live in the PNW and there are plenty of Seahawks fans around here. Let's just say they were not sad to see him go.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s sound football philosophy to “use the whole field”. The late great college coach Mike Leach was a master of how to spread the field and force the defense to cover every inch between the lines.

When you think about it, football has a ton of geometry in it. The coaches that understand how to use the entire field on offense are usually way ahead of the defense.

Looking at Mike Leach’s teams at Texas Tech, Wash. State and Miss State, you saw his offenses with far less athletic talent than most of their opponents, rack up video game numbers against everyone. His Tech teams beat Texas A&M 7 times in 10 seasons, beat OU AND Texas 4 times and went to 10 straight bowl seasons. His Wash State teams routinely beat USC, UCLA, and Oregon, and his Miss State team beat A&M both seasons, beat LSU, and made Ala sweat.

Spreading the field and using all of it just good football.
Advanced football training right there!!!!!!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
And rightfully so!! Kellen Moore was trash, had a low football IQ at this level, and generic as an offensive coordinator.
I wasn’t a Kellen Moore fan, but he had moments of brilliance surrounded by “you called THAT in that situation?”

DandyDon52

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ay-fast-make-everyone-cover-the-entire-field/

Brian Schottenheimer: I want us to play fast, make everyone cover the entire field​

“We wanna play physical, fast and to make everyone cover the entire field . . . I want us to be able to play fast. . . . It’s been a grind [but] it’s been fun,” Schottenhemier said, via the team’s website. “As you guys know, the system’s not broken. It’s not broken. They’ve won a lot of games here. Mike’s been around for that.”
lol this is what every coach wants isnt it? sound like he is kissing mikes b, the system is not broken ?? lol then why are you changing it??
won a lot of games here.....not playoff games !
And yeah we know mikes been around , he is the HC lol.

This is just more talk.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Schottenheimer was criticized in Seattle, not because his offense was predictable, but because of his play calling during games, like your nephew indicated. His offense was very good running the ball (which Dallas is wanting to get better at), and used a high rate of play action, which a lot of people have been asking for in Dallas, including myself. Every year that Schottenheimer was in Seattle, his offense ranked top 10 in scoring.

Clearly, in Dallas Brian will be installing the offense, not making play calls during the game, which is what he was criticized for. McCarthy will be be making the calls during the game, which will relieve Schottenheimer of the one thing he was criticized for in Seattle.

In Seattle, he was the offensive guy, period. Pete Carroll has always been a defensive guy, and he has a lot of input on that side of the ball. On offense though, Schottenheimer was the guy who put it all together. Carroll didn’t do much on offense, other than telling Brian that he wanted to run the ball often. It all fell on Schottenheimer.

In Dallas, he has a head coach that has a ton of experience on the offensive side. McCarthy has put together many high-end WCO’s and knows the passing game inside and out. Mike is going to make sure that Schottenheimer puts in the routes he wants the offense to have and he will heavily influence both the direction he wants the offense to go in, as well as having a big say in individual game plans.

Essentially, what I think we will see will be basically Schottenheimer / Solari as the run game coordinators and McCarthy the passing game coordinator. Both Brian and Solari have put together high-end run offenses at multiple stops, and Mike obviously has put together a lot of top end passing games.

McCarthy has a vision of the offense that he wants. It is going to have an effective run game that is littered with play-action passes that keeps the offense on schedule and not behind the chains. It should have a higher time of possession than last year’s offense and keeps a very good defense fresh and able to fly around creating turnovers.

Play action passing with an effective run game is very difficult for defenses to deal with. Play action is something that I’ve been wanting in Dallas for a long time. That Mike brought in an offensive coordinator and an OL coach that have a history of heavy play action usage is very encouraging to me. That kind of offense with a smart passing game without a bunch of complicated option routes will help Dak get away from the interceptions that were only getting worse under Moore. Both the QB and the WR’s should make fewer mistakes, and the ball will be coming out much quicker.

I’m my opinion, this is a smart turn of events for Mike, and should really serve to increase the offensive efficiency all around.

So, Seattle fans probably don’t know a whole lot about what the plan is in Dallas, and I doubt they’re looking at the offensive assistance that an offensive coach like McCarthy can provide to Schottenheimer. All they probably know is that they wanted more passing for Wilson and they didn’t get it from Brian.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the offense in Dallas. Between Mike and Brian, they should put together a unit that is plenty good, and, as McCarthy wanted, will help the team be tougher and play complimentary football. Personally, I can’t wait to see it.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Hoooah, keep the linebackers on their heels and the secondary guessing to not be out of position on what develops.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Schottenheimer was criticized in Seattle, not because his offense was predictable, but because of his play calling during games, like your nephew indicated. His offense was very good running the ball (which Dallas is wanting to get better at), and used a high rate of play action, which a lot of people have been asking for in Dallas, including myself. Every year that Schottenheimer was in Seattle, his offense ranked top 10 in scoring.

Clearly, in Dallas Brian will be installing the offense, not making play calls during the game, which is what he was criticized for. McCarthy will be be making the calls during the game, which will relieve Schottenheimer of the one thing he was criticized for in Seattle.

In Seattle, he was the offensive guy, period. Pete Carroll has always been a defensive guy, and he has a lot of input on that side of the ball. On offense though, Schottenheimer was the guy who put it all together. Carroll didn’t do much on offense, other than telling Brian that he wanted to run the ball often. It all fell on Schottenheimer.

In Dallas, he has a head coach that has a ton of experience on the offensive side. McCarthy has put together many high-end WCO’s and knows the passing game inside and out. Mike is going to make sure that Schottenheimer puts in the routes he wants the offense to have and he will heavily influence both the direction he wants the offense to go in, as well as having a big say in individual game plans.

Essentially, what I think we will see will be basically Schottenheimer / Solari as the run game coordinators and McCarthy the passing game coordinator. Both Brian and Solari have put together high-end run offenses at multiple stops, and Mike obviously has put together a lot of top end passing games.

McCarthy has a vision of the offense that he wants. It is going to have an effective run game that is littered with play-action passes that keeps the offense on schedule and not behind the chains. It should have a higher time of possession than last year’s offense and keeps a very good defense fresh and able to fly around creating turnovers.

Play action passing with an effective run game is very difficult for defenses to deal with. Play action is something that I’ve been wanting in Dallas for a long time. That Mike brought in an offensive coordinator and an OL coach that have a history of heavy play action usage is very encouraging to me. That kind of offense with a smart passing game without a bunch of complicated option routes will help Dak get away from the interceptions that were only getting worse under Moore. Both the QB and the WR’s should make fewer mistakes, and the ball will be coming out much quicker.

I’m my opinion, this is a smart turn of events for Mike, and should really serve to increase the offensive efficiency all around.

So, Seattle fans probably don’t know a whole lot about what the plan is in Dallas, and I doubt they’re looking at the offensive assistance that an offensive coach like McCarthy can provide to Schottenheimer. All they probably know is that they wanted more passing for Wilson and they didn’t get it from Brian.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the offense in Dallas. Between Mike and Brian, they should put together a unit that is plenty good, and, as McCarthy wanted, will help the team be tougher and play complimentary football. Personally, I can’t wait to see it.
Prepartions will be much more thorough, player friendly, and effective free of a lot of natural pit falls.

Players will be much better coached up for an opponent and both coordinators will be able to be more focused on game time and opponent selections to counter Dallas play. Focus in games will be growing and through the entire season towards the playoffs.

Whistle to gun now. From first game to playoffs!

A lot of good Cowboys football, for sure.