PFT: Cowboys have Lowest Week 1 Local Ratings in 9 Years

tm1119

Reaction score
This.

Fellow east coaster. By the time the Sunday or Monday games hit halftime, it’s always close to 10:30. With an early wake up at 7am, it’s hard to stay awake. Especially if we’re laying a stinker

My alarm goes off for work at 5:30am...I’m lucky if I make it 1/2 time most of the time

Sydla

Reaction score
We'll know more this Sunday night. Usually Sunday night and the Cowboys mean big ratings.

Actually I wouldn’t read much into Sunday night unless ratings are down significantly.

The Giants play is the largest media market so ratings should be high for this game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
For years I've watched the games at a DFW sports bar with a couple of buddies. Usually the Cowboys game will be on about 90% of the TVs, with only a couple of scattered ones showing other games. Sunday the Cowboys were on about 40-50% of the TVs with plenty of others showing the other late games.

Carson

Reaction score
Many people feel the NFL peaked several years ago, and the product overall is in steady decline.

They are right.

Hey now! Who doesn’t want to watch a game that’s a barn burner with 20+ penalties???

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Ratings are like a poll.... they take a small sample and extrapolate out to a nationwide number

The amount of people using streams is already factored in or more precisely factored out..... you don't count them twice

Just as many people that cut the cord DON'T watch the NFL ...probably even a higher %

FOR EXAMPLE
If 1000 TV Households are polled then 12.1% watched the game
If 1000 Streamers were polled then 12.1% watched the game

You don't add them together..... they represent the same percentage of viewers....how they view is irrelevant
So they polled 1000 random households and then used that data. Sounds crazy considering depending on the households location and demographic would play a huge part in that data. If they are in a state that doesn't have an nfl team or are a foreign family they probably don't watch football.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its funny for those that do not take into account pirated streams that do not get any ratings to them and are HUGE.

I also find it funny how so many claim it is all down and the NFL peaked years ago but can never explain how pretty much anytime a contract comes up for a network to cover the NFL games...they pay HIGHER and HIGHER fees every time.

Not only that the Salary Cap keeps going up and up.

It's amazing that the fees to liscence the NFL games and the Salary cap keeps going up year after year after year when people have been saying for years the NFL is past it's peak, losing money, losing fans and so on.

If the NFL truly was in as bad as shape as some want to indicate. They would be selling the rights to broadcast it for much cheaper and the salary cap would stay the same or go down.

The NFL owners and organization is not going to continue growing the salary cap if they are losing money hand over fist like some indicate.

When I see those fees for the networks going down or not go up at all, when I see the salary cap go down or not up at all...then you will have my attention and I will believe the nfl is in some kind of trouble financially.

Otherwise it is all just lip service.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I have no data to back it up, so just a theory of mine...but I think you have to look at the common denominator of night games doing poorly. The nfl (and all sports really) have to acknowledge that people on the east coast have a really hard time watching these games. I don’t bother watching a lot of night games unless it’s the Cowboys just because I know I’ll be able to stay up til 1/2 time at best.
They used to watch them though. I think it’s undeniable that the league’s popularity is on the decline. Overexposure doesn’t help. But coming from a guy that used to watch every game, I only watch the Cowboys games now and then watch a little bit of red zone for the noon games for fantasy purposes.

And I’m not saying the NFL can’t and won’t rebound. But this era will be remembered as a cooling off point for them from their peak years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They used to watch them though. I think it’s undeniable that the league’s popularity is on the decline. Overexposure doesn’t help. But coming from a guy that used to watch every game, I only watch the Cowboys games now and then watch a little bit of red zone for the noon games for fantasy purposes.

And I’m not saying the NFL can’t and won’t rebound. But this era will be remembered as a cooling off point for them from their peak years.
this is true too many games on many nights plus add in that theres 70 sports channels 24 hrs a day breaking down games and talking football..its so saturated it become Mundane..back in the 90s I couldn't wait for the 3-4 games that hit regular Tv especially the Cowboys games then limited exposure after games made me wait on the morning paper, ripped the sports section out and was reading all the articles and going through stats etc and making my own thoughts and opinions on games come time to hang out with friends..lastly add FF in theres and this is become too much..

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I have no data to back it up, so just a theory of mine...but I think you have to look at the common denominator of night games doing poorly. The nfl (and all sports really) have to acknowledge that people on the east coast have a really hard time watching these games. I don’t bother watching a lot of night games unless it’s the Cowboys just because I know I’ll be able to stay up til 1/2 time at best.
East Coast!!!
Try watching in the UK. LOL! :p

perrykemp

Reaction score
because the numbers don't add up

I don't know why it is so hard for you guys to admit the numbers have been trending down for 3 years

it isn't personal just business and business is down just like attendence

I don’t know what is going on with NFL ratings.

All I can contribute to this is that 3 years ago I watched the NFL on cable.

Fast forward to today and I watch all my NFL via various forms of streaming — primarily PlayStation Vue, Fox Go Sports, the NBC Streaming App, and once in while a Reddit-sourced illicit stream.

Keep on mind I am watching ALL of these on my TV — I’m just mainly using the ‘Apps’ for FoxGo Sports, NBC Sports, etc.

I know I am not alone — a number of people I work with (I work at a Tech company) have dropped Cable TV and moved to streaming services (Vue, YouTube TV, etc)

HungryLion

Reaction score
Many people feel the NFL peaked several years ago, and the product overall is in steady decline.

They are right.

I think the product quality is just about as good. Except for penalties.

The problem is over saturation. Too many primetime games. Not enough good matchups to fill all those slots.

Plus young people follow things differently. How does nfl redzone get taken into account from a ratings perspective? People love redzone.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Personally I'm glad to see it........I hope it continues to drop......fans are getting tired of paying the highest ticket prices as well as for concessions for a mediocre product..

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So they polled 1000 random households and then used that data. Sounds crazy considering depending on the households location and demographic would play a huge part in that data. If they are in a state that doesn't have an nfl team or are a foreign family they probably don't watch football.
Basically but they are Neilsen households that sign up to list all the shows they watch all month

It is like jury duty...... a small number of households share the data and they multiply it out

It already factors in those that don't have cable or TV.... that is how they do ratings

It is like the cable boxes send back info of waht is being watched ......it is a very antiquated system

jay94

Reaction score
Numbers are mainly dropping due to streams and other means. Tons of people are cutting the cord, its more of the way of the future than the past.