PFT: Cowboys have Lowest Week 1 Local Ratings in 9 Years

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I was waiting for an apology for you calling me a liar and being proven correct but I guess you got a weeks vacation instead

Funny how the 1st thing you do is come right back at me

I had work in Atlanta for a Go Live not vacation.

If you are referring to Comp pick stuff the NFL won't announce them until well later in the league year.
Until then it is all talk.
If you couldn't cut a player and NOT have it count towards the formula then Cooper and others being cut wouldn't affect us.
This is basically common sense.
But there will be no official NFL ruling or rules period to go by as it is largely unpublished.
ZERO people have been totally accurate on anything Comp pick related but Adam has been close.
All that said, he stopped publishing his work years ago.

But on this topic there is no debate.
A handful of people on both sides of the political aisle have chosen to tilt at windmills and deny themselves NFL football.
But data suggest a whole lot more of those people that suggest they are, are lying.
And it is clear the entertainment model has shifted to streaming BIG-TIME and if ANYTHING the NFL is EVEN MORE VALUABLE as the largest fish in a much smaller cable/satellite pond.

The NFL was responsble for MORE ads sold last season than at anytime in history.
They are broadcasting more games across more mediums than ever before and the NFL had RECORD profits last year.
You spent a full year making these same inane claims while they were busy busting records.
Those are easily verifiable facts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It said lowest in 9 years though. Some of those were Fox 3:25pm games. Off the top of my head that SF opener was an afternoon game.

The late week 1 Fox game was last year was Sea at GB. Dallas is the highest drawing team in the league. GB I think is 2 or 3, but the gap between Dallas and the next team is fairly significant. So while a 2% increase is better than a drop, the league would probably hope for more with Dallas in that slot against another team that draws well.
Lowest in 9 years is correct but like I said most of our opening games are on Sundays night like last year which skews the numbers.

Whenever our game isn’t nationally televised our ratings are slumped in comparisons. And why I responded with this link as our afternoon broadcast was up for that slot not compared to our normal broadcast but other teams in that slot.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It said lowest in 9 years though. Some of those were Fox 3:25pm games. Off the top of my head that SF opener was an afternoon game.

We've opened in prime time almost every one of those nine years -- 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017.

That leaves 2014, 2016 and this year. Those games were at home against the Giants, at home against the 49ers and on the road against the Panthers.

Given that out of those three games, the excitement would naturally be the lowest for a road game against the Panthers, and given the decrease in network TV viewership over the past couple of years, it's not surprising that the ratings were lower than in 2016 and 2014. But they still compare favorably to everything else.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Garrett is there because of Jerry's inability to admit a mistake. No one else.
completely disagree.
stephen and mcclay and garrett are part of a 3 headed triumvirate.

if jerry ran things dez would still be here and possibly tony romo too.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
completely disagree.
stephen and mcclay and garrett are part of a 3 headed triumvirate.

if jerry ran things dez would still be here and possibly tony romo too.

Jerry still runs the show and Garrett is his boy.

Garrett is only still here because Jerry has never gotten over letting Sean Payton leave the organization and seeing him win a SB in New Orleans.

Ever since, Jerry has had it imprinted in his mind that Jason Garrett was the going to be his version of Payton, and the next "whiz kid" offensive mind in the NFL.

Firing Garrett would be Jerry admitting he was wrong about someone whose talent he has felt as strongly about as anyone in his history as owner of the Cowboys.

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett is definitely part of the reason I am not watching this year.

tm1119

Reaction score
Lowest in 9 years is correct but like I said most of our opening games are on Sundays night like last year which skews the numbers.

Whenever our game isn’t nationally televised our ratings are slumped in comparisons. And why I responded with this link as our afternoon broadcast was up for that slot not compared to our normal broadcast but other teams in that slot.

I think the part you are missing is that the article is referring to LOCAL ratings, not national. So this was the least viewed week 1 Cowboys game by local cowboys fan in almost a decade. My point in making the thread was wondering if Jerry is starting to lose his core fan base...not start a debate on overall NFL viewership.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think the part you are missing is that the article is referring to LOCAL ratings, not national. So this was the least viewed week 1 Cowboys game by local cowboys fan in almost a decade. My point in making the thread was wondering if Jerry is starting to lose his core fan base...not start a debate on overall NFL viewership.
End of the day local ratings mean zero.
Overall ratings weren't down at all, and in fact were up.

Avg Dallas attendance has only grown:
2014 90,069
2015 91,459
2016 92,539
2017 92,721

Any thought this will "show Jerry" is pointless drivel. And, again, Jerry isn't making these decisions.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The NFL was responsble for MORE ads sold last season than at anytime in history.
100% false

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/nfl...-2-as-makegoods-overtook-unit-rate-increases/

While the average cost of a 30-second spot grew 1.2 percent this season, from $499,000 to $505,000—and commercial loads were flat—it ultimately couldn’t compensate for a jump in makegoods to make up for this season’s 10 percent ratings drop in total viewers. Makegoods accounted for 23 percent of units this season, up from 21 percent in the 2016 season.

The ad revenue decline ends several years of overall NFL ad revenue growth. 2016 saw a 3 percent jump in ad revenue to $2.45 billion, while 2015’s $2.38 billion in ad revenue was a 9.6 percent increase from 2014’s $2.17 billion figure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ah ok.

The local TV viewership has been down for years overall . Comparing one year doesn’t tell the whole story. Opening game is only 1/16 of that measurement . I’m a local so have been following this stump meter for years.

For example most home viewing areas average over 40% of share locally but Dallas has covered around lower 30’s for several years.

As a matter of fact the Cowboys second largest market in San Antonio had been averaging about the same local market share as DFW area. And the entire state isn’t far below . There’s actually some parts of the country where the ratings are higher.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately the bottom line is Jerry has lost many of the local fans over the years but it’s obviously had no effect on filling the stadium , sponsorship , generating record revenue or gaining national viewership.

Once Jerry had his new stadium . Game over.

He isn’t as dependent on the local core base any longer. Longtime Diehards like me who walked away from owning season tickets for decades at Texas Stadium were brushed aside for corporate ownership . It is what it is and why we often see tens of thousands of opposing fans in attendance.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
We've opened in prime time almost every one of those nine years -- 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017.

That leaves 2014, 2016 and this year. Those games were at home against the Giants, at home against the 49ers and on the road against the Panthers.

Given that out of those three games, the excitement would naturally be the lowest for a road game against the Panthers, and given the decrease in network TV viewership over the past couple of years, it's not surprising that the ratings were lower than in 2016 and 2014. But they still compare favorably to everything else.
I think that’s all understood. The bottom line is that viewership is the lowest in 9 years and a third of those games were 3:25p starts so there are some apples to apples there. You have many excuses there as to why the number is down and that’s all well and good. All valid stuff there, I’m not saying it isn’t and I’m not arguing for or against any of that. I’m just saying it’s not a misleading stat. The interest in NFL is trending down. They are still on top, still #1, and all of that. The bottom hasn’t fallen out. But their popularity has peaked at least for the time being. A lot of that is self inflicted but it’s nowhere in the neighborhood of fatal.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I think until attendance starts to go down it can’t be argued that he’s losing his core fanbase. What he’s losing is his casual fanbase. Casuals don’t follow it closely enough to know the minutiae of Cowboys football. So they are leaving probably due to a combination of Dallas not winning big in a few decades and a loss of interest in football in general.

But the core will follow if the trend doesn’t change. That’s how audience decline works.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Maybe someone already posted it but just in case, here’s the last three national ratings for the last three times Dallas was in the Fox 3:25p window on opening day:

2014: 17.4
2016: 16.9
2018: 15.7

I think comparing those three numbers makes more sense than comparing anything else. You can’t compare SNF to the Fox GOW. And can’t compare Dallas to any other team. But comparing Dallas games in the same time slot over a relatively short period of time does have value IMO.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
They gave record refunds and ad re-runs last year because the numbers were so bad

It was the first year they sold less ads then the year before

No one is crying DOOM...... just saying they have peaked and are heading down

To say otherwise is just being a Fan Boy for no reason.... the NFL can be #1 and falling at the same time

There's no real reason to fan boy on behalf of the NFL but there's apparently a reason to need to do the opposite on your part. You literally will poke your head into any thread that speaks about ratings to try to promote your DOOM! theory and try to undercut anything that doesn't support your case. There's no real reason to do that other than some need like I mentioned. And when someone has an agenda they need to push they will twist anything they can find for "support" like is commonplace nowadays. Those "bogus" numbers I pulled would have been gospel had all slots been down. I knew when I didn't see a thread in the NFL Zone about falling ratings for the complete week that it must have meant that some slots were up and I was right. But yes, go on pretending you're just making observations while you show up in every single thread about ratings with your stance. No agenda there at all. Oh, heaven's no, lol.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
A lot of people including myself are ever growing wherry of the Process. I've caught hell all week at work again as I live in North Carolina. I'm hanging in there however. Been a fan for 41 years.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
I got rid of cable 6 years ago...I watch TV with rabbit ears, and if Dallas isn't on my TV I'll go to Buffalo Wild Wings and watch. Dallas has been a pretty hard watch the last 20 years...

tm1119

Reaction score
I think until attendance starts to go down it can’t be argued that he’s losing his core fanbase. What he’s losing is his casual fanbase. Casuals don’t follow it closely enough to know the minutiae of Cowboys football. So they are leaving probably due to a combination of Dallas not winning big in a few decades and a loss of interest in football in general.

But the core will follow if the trend doesn’t change. That’s how audience decline works.

I think attendance can also be misleading tho due to corporations buying tons of tickets. A game can be a sellout with a lot of empty seats in the stadium. I’m not saying we are that point yet, but I think it’s a realistic scenario if things continue to get ugly.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
The biggest majority of people are not addicts like us. They are not purposefully gonna put themselves in harms way. Its been too long jerry....Way too long.