PFT: Cowboys haven't begun talks with Dak or Cooper

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good. I like Dak but there is no reason to start negotiating with him until next off-season.

He will be a free agent next off season, so they would need to start before then if they want to be sure to keep him. Once other teams are able to jump in the mix things get more difficult. They can, however, wait and see how the season goes up to a point before working on a deal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak and Amari won't get addressed til mid season . I think there are a couple reasons for this. ONE, they are still under contract..so no great rush. TWO, why rush when you can get a sampling from Amari...ie look at the groceries some more before buying? Dak gets done midseason..Amari maybe by years end or next offseason. Right now I think Tank is the focus.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You "should", but there are clearly some questions remaining. The problem is that this organization wants Prescott to be "the guy". They want to have their franchise quarterback in place, whether he actually is one or not. They want to be able to say that "we found our guy in the fourth round!"

And those wants cloud their better judgement and affect their due diligence and patience.

Any time you enter an evaluation with a preconceived idea or conclusion that you want to reach, you're setting yourself up to fail.
I disagree. Especially with viable options out there. Josh Rosen is out there. This organization isn’t ran that bad to where we have a situation or them sticking by a guy they want to succeed. If that’s the case then they won’t be re-signing him. This will be his last year here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If history is anything to go by teams stick with starting qbs, regardless of their skills, longer than they should when they're not performing at a high level. It's like they settle for "good enough" then pay a premium for that as long as they just don't outright suck
This is true. But this team doesn’t seem to be on that path.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. Especially with viable options out there. Josh Rosen is out there. This organization isn’t ran that bad to where we have a situation or them sticking by a guy they want to succeed. If that’s the case then they won’t be re-signing him. This will be his last year here.

Do you actually think that this Cowboys team would look at Josh Rosen or anybody else as a "viable option"? I certainly don't, despite the fact that maybe they should? They're far too loyal to their guys. Especially when they want them to succeed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rosen I am sure isn't an option. PLUS, He is under the 2nd year of his rookie deal. We would be taking a HUGE risk,. Dak is a known. Rosen is a great big unknown.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Dak's 2019 earnings right now are very low for his position. If cap savings can carry over, I'm fine with waiting a year before they make a long-term commitment. If his price goes up, can't they offset that by carrying their savings from 2019 over to next year?

CWR

Reaction score
Or we ride it out and don’t overpay ever.

I think this is the absolute last year Zeke plays without a new contract. He will hold out next year. Do you really want to lose prime years from our stud back? I know rbs are replaceable but hes special. I am not ready to cut ties....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is the absolute last year Zeke plays without a new contract. He will hold out next year. Do you really want to lose prime years from our stud back? I know rbs are replaceable but hes special. I am not ready to cut ties....

I think I'd prefer that to again setting the market for a position whose salaries had been in decline.

Lawrence wants top dollar, Dak wants top dollar, Cooper will want top dollar, Elliott will want top dollar. No team can have the highest paid at so many spots.

CWR

Reaction score
I think I'd prefer that to again setting the market for a position whose salaries had been in decline.

Lawrence wants top dollar, Dak wants top dollar, Cooper will want top dollar, Elliott will want top dollar. No team can have the highest paid at so many spots.

I feel ya brother. My cap expertise starts and ends on this board, but to me this is the reason we saved for the last few seasons and we should be able to retain our own....However, it seems like all the talks of our abundance were just hot air. I can only imagine the shape wed be in had SJ jumped on every FA like we have called for. Lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel ya brother. My cap expertise starts and ends on this board, but to me this is the reason we saved for the last few seasons and we should be able to retain our own....However, it seems like all the talks of our abundance were just hot air. I can only imagine the shape wed be in had SJ jumped on every FA like we have called for. Lol.

Very true.

But if these Lawrence negotiations are any indicator, it's going to be a contentious, bumpy ride for these next few years.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Or, maybe Linehan just did the best with the hand he was dealt. You can't ask Brock Osweiler to replicate what Peyton Manning does. You can't expect Teddy Bridgewater to run the offense like Drew Brees.

I'm glad Linehan is gone, but if you think just calling the same plays at Kansas City, Los Angeles, New Orleans, or New England would fix our passing game, you're off your rocker.

Dak aint gonna be Brady, but no one except maybe Linehan's mom thinks he did the best that could be done with our offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Very true.

But if these Lawrence negotiations are any indicator, it's going to be a contentious, bumpy ride for these next few years.

Lawrence's injury gives him leverage that players usually don't have. Or maybe just haven't taken before. Players probably always have some operation they can argue is desirable. This could be very cancerous for the league. If it works for Lawrence, other franchised players will be bound to notice.