PFT: Cowboys haven't begun talks with Dak or Cooper

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The problem is Zeke will likely hold out if we take that route. Which is why Id sign him sooner than later and by the time the wheels come off we wont be on the hook for guaranteed money. His physical style doesn't typically age well.

Ive changed my view on backs. I think its a position you need to save money or spread it out between several good backs instead of one high priced stud. Spend the money on the line, not the back.

If Zeke holds out, so be it. Cant pay a back 15 million per season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is the thing about Dak. Whether you like him or not.....at this point you should know if he’s your franchise qb or not.

You should, but Linehan delayed that knowledge. If you want to go with what was seen with Linehan, I'd say no.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Ive changed my view on backs. I think its a position you need to save money or spread it out between several good backs instead of one high priced stud. Spend the money on the line, not the back.

If Zeke holds out, so be it. Cant pay a back 15 million per season.

He led the league in rushing...again.

He’s gonna get paid.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He led the league in rushing...again.

He’s gonna get paid.

I agree he is going to get paid. Leading the league in rushing isn't a great feat anymore. Its pretty much just a # of carries race. Today its about total yards from scrimmage and TD's. Most people do it with 2 or 3 guys instead of running 1 into the ground.

erod

Reaction score
You should, but Linehan delayed that knowledge. If you want to go with what was seen with Linehan, I'd say no.

Or, maybe Linehan just did the best with the hand he was dealt. You can't ask Brock Osweiler to replicate what Peyton Manning does. You can't expect Teddy Bridgewater to run the offense like Drew Brees.

I'm glad Linehan is gone, but if you think just calling the same plays at Kansas City, Los Angeles, New Orleans, or New England would fix our passing game, you're off your rocker.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is Zeke will likely hold out if we take that route. Which is why Id sign him sooner than later and by the time the wheels come off we wont be on the hook for guaranteed money. His physical style doesn't typically age well.

So if his style "doesn't age well", why are you "signing him sooner than later"? Wouldn't the truly smart move be to ride out the current contract and look for another running back and never get into that big money deal in the first place?

lukin2006

Reaction score
Let's first get Dlaw signed or traded...he should be the priority now...

erod

Reaction score
So if his style "doesn't age well", why are you "signing him sooner than later"? Wouldn't the truly smart move be to ride out the current contract and look for another running back and never get into that big money deal in the first place?
Don't pay a guy for what he's done. Pay him for what he's gonna do.

Zeke was terrific last year, but he did lose a step. I'd be reluctant to pay him huge money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but you see the guy everyday at practice. You know what you have in him. You should know at this point.

You "should", but there are clearly some questions remaining. The problem is that this organization wants Prescott to be "the guy". They want to have their franchise quarterback in place, whether he actually is one or not. They want to be able to say that "we found our guy in the fourth round!"

And those wants cloud their better judgement and affect their due diligence and patience.

Any time you enter an evaluation with a preconceived idea or conclusion that you want to reach, you're setting yourself up to fail.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't pay a guy for what he's done. Pay him for what he's gonna do.

Zeke was terrific last year, but he did lose a step. I'd be reluctant to pay him huge money.

Same here. The guy is a great back, but rather than running to pay him money and ultimately paying him when he's in decline, I'd rather look for a capable backup and then a young replacement. Running back is a chew 'em up, spit 'em out position in today's NFL. And nearly every team that gets into a second contract with this position, no matter how great the guy once was, ends up regretting it and cutting him.

Learn from the recent situation with Gurley. The Rams rushed to pay him and now there's talk of how much it would cost to get out of the deal. Just the fact that it's being brought up should be a lesson to you. As well as all of the talk of Gruden and the Raiders looking to move on from Carr. Learn from others' mistakes without having to make the same ones yourself.

CWR

Reaction score

Because I think he still has a few years in him. Im afraid if we keep him 5 years and then resign he will fall apart before the end of that contract. We sign him now and hes happy and the contract ends when he's 28.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yeah but you see the guy everyday at practice. You know what you have in him. You should know at this point.
If history is anything to go by teams stick with starting qbs, regardless of their skills, longer than they should when they're not performing at a high level. It's like they settle for "good enough" then pay a premium for that as long as they just don't outright suck

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because I think he still has a few years in him. Im afraid if we keep him 5 years and then resign he will fall apart before the end of that contract. We sign him now and hes happy and the contract ends when he's 28.

Or we ride it out and don’t overpay ever.