News: PFT: Cowboys offered a first-rounder plus a third-day pick for Jamal Adams

Loso86

Reaction score
Jerry Jones doing his best to destroy this team's future. He has violated just about every rule for building a team capable of contending for an extensive period of time.

One of the most important rules is that you don't mortgage the teams future for the belief that you have to win it all during one particular season. I mean, you trade your top draft picks to "fill a need" and then your quarterback goes down. Not only is that season in jeopardy but you can't get better in the near future having traded away Those valuable picks.

At the very least, Jerry should be capable of learning from his mistakes but I guess the Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades wasn't enough. Both times that was all he thought he needed to get back to a Super Bowl and all it did was stunt the future development of the team.

Stephen is failing miserably when it comes to restraining his father's delusional belief that he knows how to build a football team without a phenomenal HC doing it for him.
Dude..what?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You simply don't trade big draft capital for a box safety with coverage limitations. This just shows to me Stephen is in charge, Jerry would of traded 2 #1's and set this franchise back. With all the contracts up, especially at the CB position, the team needs their draft picks. Going on the open market to fill a starting CB position would be very expensive.

Interesting you say this .....one thing I think is clear. They are looking for a SS and seem happy with Woods as our FS. Case in point......remember all the free agent safeties we looked at last year were SS with the exception of ET. In the draft, we passed on Thornhill and recently a chance to trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick, both FSs.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Draft picks are a crapshoot. Jamal Adams was a sure thing at a position of need. 1, 2 and 5 may have gotten it done. Pull the trigger and watch Lawrence, Vander Esch, Smith and Adams on this D for the next 5 years.

Reactions: CWR

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones doing his best to destroy this team's future. He has violated just about every rule for building a team capable of contending for an extensive period of time.

One of the most important rules is that you don't mortgage the teams future for the belief that you have to win it all during one particular season. I mean, you trade your top draft picks to "fill a need" and then your quarterback goes down. Not only is that season in jeopardy but you can't get better in the near future having traded away Those valuable picks.

At the very least, Jerry should be capable of learning from his mistakes but I guess the Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades wasn't enough. Both times that was all he thought he needed to get back to a Super Bowl and all it did was stunt the future development of the team.

Stephen is failing miserably when it comes to restraining his father's delusional belief that he knows how to build a football team without a phenomenal HC doing it for him.
This makes no sense because your argument would only exist if Jerry had made the deal for Adams, and he did not. He held back, and you are acting as if pulled another Galloway/Williams deal.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Increasing it to 2 first rounders as the article implies they wanted, would've been a plunger move by JJ that would've set us back for a long time. No one guy is worth that, especially at a S position. So glad that didn't happen!

I don't get this claim that it "would set us back for a long time".

For one thing, we already have a pretty young team and our starting lineup is full of younger players. Adams is also young and a All Pro talent.

Two, in reality you are really only giving up one first round pick because the likelihood you draft an Adams with one of those picks is low anyway.

So making it seem like trading two first round picks would be a death blow to the franchise is weird to me. That's not to say I would have given up two #1s. I probably would not have because in the end, Adams is a strong safety and I am not sure there's a ton of value there. But this idea that two #1 picks is some anchor to the franchise is weird to me.

Sydla

Reaction score

Trading some picks to get a 24 year old stud, All Pro caliber safety is mortgaging the future?

You guys. LOL.

Creeper

Reaction score
Adams was the 6th pick in the draft. And after 2 years he has lived up to that pick. Considering the Cowboys will be drafting middle to bottom in each round in 2020, their first round pick is not equivalent to the Jets 6th pick they used to take Adams. So the question is, what would it take for the Cowboys to move up from the 20th spot (let's say) to 6th? It would take a lot. In the last draft Pittsburgh moved up to 10 from the 20th spot and it cost them their 1st, 2nd and a 3rd in 2020.

So moving up from where Dallas should be drafting to get Adams (who was a 6th) would take a 1st and two seconds. The Jets offer, based on what the 6th draft pick would be worth, was not unreasonable. But its understandable that Dallas would find it too much.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Interesting you say this .....one thing I think is clear. They are looking for a SS and seem happy with Woods as our FS. Case in point......remember all the free agent safeties we looked at last year were SS with the exception of ET. In the draft, we passed on Thornhill and recently a chance to trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick, both FSs.
Yes, they have been targeting SS's to replace Heath as the starter. Berry, IIoka. Abram, Rapp, etc. in the draft. Like everyone here, we would of loved to have Adams, but it would be foolish to give up a godfather package to get him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes, they have been targeting SS's to replace Heath as the starter. Berry, IIoka. Abram, Rapp, etc. in the draft. Like everyone here, we would of loved to have Adams, but it would be foolish to give up a godfather package to get him.
Totally agree I mean it would have upset me passing on rapp and thornhill in the draft to then get fleeced by the jets twice in one year. Adding Jamal Adams does not make this a super bowl team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I dont get that logic. The guy was drafted at 6. How can you say he's not worth such and such? People much rather risk drafting guys like Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill instead of getting a HOF type talent with zero risk instead. The more is not always the better. When was the last time we drafted a HOF type player with a late 1st round pick? I'm waiting.

Although I wouldn't have liked trading a first and two seconds for Adams, I can't understand those who think we should have only offered a first-round pick or even a first and a third. This is a young (24-year-old) Pro Bowl player who was drafted sixth overall just a couple of years ago. Why should the Jets give him up for a late-round first and a late-round third? That would be vastly undervalued.

Just using this draft value chart https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp, pick No. 6 in the 2020 draft would be worth 1600 points. Pick 20 (probably the highest we'll be picking) is worth 850. Pick 52 is worth 380. So the Jets asking for a first and two seconds is barely the value (1610) of the sixth overall pick they spent.

erod

Reaction score
Cowboys offered a first-rounder plus a third-day pick for Jamal Adams

gettyimages-1181100061-e1572388904245.jpg

The Cowboys wanted Jamal Adams badly. How badly? Enough to part with a first-round choice a year after trading their first-rounder to Oakland for receiver Amari Cooper. It would have been a blockbu...

Read Full Story

Why would the Jets trade a guy worthy of a top 10 pick for your late first-rounder and a throwaway pick?

The Jets would have have to be stupid to do that.

The proper offer would have been a first and second for Adams. Essentially, that would be trading the 10th overall pick for No. 26 and 59.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Except he didn’t mortgage the future lol. He didn’t make the deal. Trading a first and a third for Adams is a smart move.

Yeah the Jets weren't getting a first and two seconds. If anybody is thinking that was the cost they don't know how negotiations work. And yes Jamal Adams is worth a first and third, even a first and second, when you consider where the picks will likely land. When you have a team that's very close but are missing key pieces you have to go all out.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Why would the Jets trade a guy worthy of a top 10 pick for your late first-rounder and a throwaway pick?

The Jets would have have to be stupid to do that.

The proper offer would have been a first and second for Adams. Essentially, that would be trading the 10th overall pick for No. 26 and 59.

The only argument against trading for him that made any sense at all was the salary cap implications. But you've got at least a couple of years before you have to pay him and our Super Bowl window is not going to be one that lasts a long time IMO. Our core, especially the O-line, is aging and likely only has a few more good years.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Although I wouldn't have liked trading a first and two seconds for Adams, I can't understand those who think we should have only offered a first-round pick or even a first and a third. This is a young (24-year-old) Pro Bowl player who was drafted sixth overall just a couple of years ago. Why should the Jets give him up for a late-round first and a late-round third? That would be vastly undervalued.

Just using this draft value chart https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp, pick No. 6 in the 2020 draft would be worth 1600 points. Pick 20 (probably the highest we'll be picking) is worth 850. Pick 52 is worth 380. So the Jets asking for a first and two seconds is barely the value (1610) of the sixth overall pick they spent.

If Jamal Adams had five years left on his deal that would be fair. You're giving up three top 60 picks and then we have to pay him in 2.5 years. We already have quality talent in-house that we might not be able to pay and we will need draft picks to replace them.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Jamal Adams had five years left on his deal that would be fair. You're giving up three top 60 picks and then we have to pay him in 2.5 years. We already have quality talent in-house that we might not be able to pay and we will need draft picks to replace them.

You're getting 2.5 years of proven talent. When the Jets drafted him with that sixth overall pick, they had no idea how it would turn out. We have the benefit of knowing how good he is as a pro. Adams' value was about what the Jets were seeking. Dallas didn't need to pay that much, but I have no problem with what New York was asking.

Praxit

Reaction score
..it looks bad for Jets org. Shopped the guy around, even when commented he wanted to stay.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah the Jets weren't getting a first and two seconds. If anybody is thinking that was the cost they don't know how negotiations work. And yes Jamal Adams is worth a first and third, even a first and second, when you consider where the picks will likely land. When you have a team that's very close but are missing key pieces you have to go all out.
I agree with all the above......I honestly would’ve trade the two 2s too. It just depends how they feel about him. Is he a building block for their defense? Sign him. If he was a two year rental then no.