News: PFT: Cowboys offered a first-rounder plus a third-day pick for Jamal Adams

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If those things don’t happen will you disappear like you did when we started the season 3-0?

We’re 3rd in passing nearly halfway through the season. At what point do you feel dumb about your predictions? Is there a point? Serious question.

Disappear lol you trying to make me Jimmy Hoffa?

Common Man-up now and be here or be square lol....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You're getting 2.5 years of proven talent. When the Jets drafted him with that sixth overall pick, they had no idea how it would turn out. We have the benefit of knowing how good he is as a pro. Adams' value was about what the Jets were seeking. Dallas didn't need to pay that much, but I have no problem with what New York was asking.

That's fair. I have no issue with the Jet's asking price. Just saying I wouldn't want the Cowboys to give up that much (especially with how solid they are drafting overall).

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Adams was the 6th pick in the draft. And after 2 years he has lived up to that pick. Considering the Cowboys will be drafting middle to bottom in each round in 2020, their first round pick is not equivalent to the Jets 6th pick they used to take Adams. So the question is, what would it take for the Cowboys to move up from the 20th spot (let's say) to 6th? It would take a lot. In the last draft Pittsburgh moved up to 10 from the 20th spot and it cost them their 1st, 2nd and a 3rd in 2020.

So moving up from where Dallas should be drafting to get Adams (who was a 6th) would take a 1st and two seconds. The Jets offer, based on what the 6th draft pick would be worth, was not unreasonable. But its understandable that Dallas would find it too much.

The benefit with 1st rounders though is that you get five cheap years out of them. The Jets have already spent half of that with Adams.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's fair. I have no issue with the Jet's asking price. Just saying I wouldn't want the Cowboys to give up that much (especially with how solid they are drafting overall).

I agree. The price of something can be fair without anyone being willing to pay it.

In this case, the Jets didn't have to get rid of Adams, so they were just seeing if any team was willing to pay a fair price. A fair price in this case was just too expensive.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry Jones doing his best to destroy this team's future. He has violated just about every rule for building a team capable of contending for an extensive period of time.

One of the most important rules is that you don't mortgage the teams future for the belief that you have to win it all during one particular season. I mean, you trade your top draft picks to "fill a need" and then your quarterback goes down. Not only is that season in jeopardy but you can't get better in the near future having traded away Those valuable picks.

At the very least, Jerry should be capable of learning from his mistakes but I guess the Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades wasn't enough. Both times that was all he thought he needed to get back to a Super Bowl and all it did was stunt the future development of the team.

Stephen is failing miserably when it comes to restraining his father's delusional belief that he knows how to build a football team without a phenomenal HC doing it for him.

Ideology is fine and all but you would be trading for a young top talent at a position of need that comes in and plays now.

The notion of not mortgaging the future and letting things come to you doesn't mean so much in an interest free environment. Even in an interest bearing market you can make good loans.

Adams was drafted 6 and has been one of the best S in the league since being drafted having seen all pro honors all ready albeit second team.

He has used up 2.5 years of cost control. His salary is about $7m less than he would make on the open market.

Now we are projected to draft somewhere in the 20s. To get a talent like Adams in the draft and trade up into the top 10 would take two 1s or a 1 and multiple 2s on draft day. That is what they wanted. Essentially a do over with a top 10 pick.

We were not willing to do that.

Reports are that we were willing to go for a 1 and a 3 or a 1 and a next year 2. IOW, the equivalent of a pick in the mid teens.

Now you can quibble about the difference of a second round pick being worth 2.5 years of cost control but its close. It seems to me that we were willing to go up to what Adams was actually worth but no higher.

That is sound management IMO.

CWR

Reaction score
You're getting 2.5 years of proven talent. When the Jets drafted him with that sixth overall pick, they had no idea how it would turn out. We have the benefit of knowing how good he is as a pro. Adams' value was about what the Jets were seeking. Dallas didn't need to pay that much, but I have no problem with what New York was asking.

Exactly. Them asking for a 1st, likely somewhere in the 20s and two 2nds isnt a crazy ask for number 6 overall who is a proven stud with 2.5 years left on rookie deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
FWIW, CBS had the regular "Agent's Take" column on trades that could/should have happened.

He opined that a 1st and a 3rd in 2020 and a 5th in 2021 should have been the trade.

I'd have considered that.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I dont get that logic. The guy was drafted at 6. How can you say he's not worth such and such? People much rather risk drafting guys like Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill instead of getting a HOF type talent with zero risk instead. The more is not always the better. When was the last time we drafted a HOF type player with a late 1st round pick? I'm waiting.
I don't get that logic either but oftentimes people love to parrot what they hear other respected and or popular people say. If we perform like normal that pick is going to be a back half of the first rd pick which isn't close to a guarantee of a decent player. I could see if we were going to be at the top I'd say no but back end I'd take that risk for a known in their prime top talent.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
FWIW, CBS had the regular "Agent's Take" column on trades that could/should have happened.

He opined that a 1st and a 3rd in 2020 and a 5th in 2021 should have been the trade.

I'd have considered that.

And that sounds in the neighborhood of what we offered.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am surprised at the lack of reading comprehension I am seeing in several of the posts regarding this possible trade. We didn’t offer a 1st and a 3rd. We offered a first and aTHIRD DAY pic. On the third day of the draft we select rounds 4 thru 7, we were offering a pic somewhere in that range.
Well as steve martin used to say.....WELL EXCUSE ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure the post I based my comment on said 3rd day or just 3.
either way it was stupid to trade for this guy at this point, and the jets were just seeing if the jones boys were stupid enough
to give 2 firsts or something outrageous.
It would not make sense to trade him for just a first. especially a first that may be at bottom of rd 1.
So if dallas offered a 1st and a day 3 pick that too is stupid, because no one would take that.
That is about the same as just taking a first only , which would be insane for a proven player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We drafted Travis Fredrick in 2013.

In 2015, we drafted Byron Jones, who has an outside chance of making the HOF if he maintains his more recent level of play for another decade or so (not unheard of for CBs with speed), with a late 1st round pick.

In 2016 we drafted a HOF talent, Jaylon Smith, at the top of the second round.

In 2018 we drafted a HOF type player, LVE, in the bottom half of the first round.

(Didn't want to keep you waiting.)

LOL...…...Byron Jones HOF? aahahaahahahaaha!!!!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
Trading some picks to get a 24 year old stud, All Pro caliber safety is mortgaging the future?

You guys. LOL.
You are forgetting about the salary cap. Not only are the multiple draft picks capable of being great, they are inexpensive through their first 3-4 years.

For every starter there is a backup that starts an average 3.1 games per season. The more a star makes the less that is left for his backup.

One of the most important lesson that should have been learned from the 2010 season was that you cannot win with a team full of high paid stars. The drop in talent is too severe when they go down.

The draft provides a talented but cheap pool of young players.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well stated, offering a 1st and 3rd is stupid, and I imagine stevie was all for this with his dad.
They can draft one for just the 1st they will have next draft if that is what they think they need.
I think they think jamal would be like the amari trade where the defense would suddenly be great adding 1 player.
It just doesnt work like that, many things factored into the turn around last year not just amari.

But the jones boys are billionaires so they think they know more than us peons lol.
Seems like jerry is starting to get impatient to get back to a SB, and that could be a good thing if they dont
go this year , maybe he will dump JG.
A third day pick would be round 5,6, or 7, wouldn't it?

Edit: Make that rounds 4 - 7

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Draft picks are a crapshoot. Jamal Adams was a sure thing at a position of need. 1, 2 and 5 may have gotten it done. Pull the trigger and watch Lawrence, Vander Esch, Smith and Adams on this D for the next 5 years.
yeah the cowboys wanted a great deal for them, but what they offered was a joke now that I THINK about it.
they could have done a 1st in 2020 and a 2nd in 2019 , and really they always draft someone unusable in the 2nd, so that wouldnt
hurt much.