PFT: Cowboys seem to be willing to let Dak Prescott hit the market in 2025

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I honestly don't think the FO knows what they even want to do.. They seem torn thus the lack of talk with Dak's agent and in the public they state they are working with Dak. So who really knows?
This. Nothing they are doing or saying has made sense so far. They are actively working against themselves for this offseason.

TheCritic

Reaction score
No reason to extend Dak this season. You take the salary cap hit this year and then dare him and his stupid agent to test the market. Either Dak hopefully gets his 60 million a year from another team or he gets leveraged down to Kirk Cousins money. Win-win!!

rambo2

Reaction score
I honestly don't think the FO knows what they even want to do.. They seem torn thus the lack of talk with Dak's agent and in the public they state they are working with Dak. So who really knows?
They know exactly what they want to do. The deal is will they be right and have success.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
with who? only viable team i see is minnesota. they got 2 first round picks. but will they give those up to go with a vet QB who hasn’t shown to be capable of winning when it counts? they’d be back to Kirk Cousins 2.0
I would take 2 2nds all day long and never look back if I could get that much.
The only way Dak will leave on his terms is if France makes a deal were the other team steals him for next to nothing.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I suspect the Cowboys are waiting for TC to progress before signing Dak. The results they see with Lance may have impacted their thinking.

Actually, it seems to me that Jerry's favor has waned somewhat about his devotion to Dak, while Stephen is still favoring signing Dak ASAP.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if Jerry would like to see how well Lance performs, when evaluating him to see if he can develop impressively.
Will Greer lit up TC and the preseason last year..How did that work out for him?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys franchise made Prescott a rich man and I don’t understand what else they, or us as fans, owe him or what he owes us. We all should move in from each other. We’re never going to a Super Bowl together.
Bring on, Cooper...RUSH RUSH RUSH

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still believe they'll extend-

BUT, a small part of me thinks a draft day trade - isn't out of the realm of possibility
If they can pull off a draft day trade for Dak, I will cry tears of joy. It is most likely the best possible path forward if they can manage it.

Dare I say that Washington is a team that could be interested? The history with DQ + them really being a QB away from really making some noise makes me think that they would do it. Not to mention that back in 2019 word on the street was that they were interested in him if he managed to get to FA.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys SB window with Dak................
8cczll.jpg
Is that a plane, up in the sky?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I suspect the Cowboys are waiting for TC to progress before signing Dak. The results they see with Lance may have impacted their thinking.

Actually, it seems to me that Jerry's favor has waned somewhat about his devotion to Dak, while Stephen is still favoring signing Dak ASAP.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if Jerry would like to see how well Lance performs, when evaluating him to see if he can develop impressively.
Yup.

Cause Dak blew up another playoff game.

And Jerry cried.

Extremely embarrassing for him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
By opting for a modest kicking of the salary-cap can in 2024, the Cowboys embark on the last year of quarterback Dak Prescott’s contract at a cap number of $55.455 million. With no ability to tag him in 2025, and no apparent inclination to extend the deal now, the Cowboys seem to be willing to let him finish the contract and see what happens.

Full Article:
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ng-to-let-dak-prescott-hit-the-market-in-2025
The Cowboys are certainly open to the possibility but I think it depends on how far he takes this team in the coming season.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I still believe they'll extend-

BUT, a small part of me thinks a draft day trade - isn't out of the realm of possibility
A draft day trade is unlikely. They would most likely need to have the deal happen prior to the draft because Dak would have to agree to the trade and have a contract worked out with the new team. I still don't see them trading him. The Jones boys are always in reactive mode instead of proactive mode.

They will most likely extend him prior to the season/around training camp which will put this forum into an all out frenzy. The server will most likely crash on that day and be down for a week. Jerry has very little motivation to do the contract any sooner. Here are the reasons Jerry will most likely wait:

1) We don't currently need the CAP space because we aren't going after high priced free agents. We are $5.5 million under the CAP with another $9.5 million coming June 1st. Plenty of money to sign rookies and low cost free agents.

2) Jerry is a businessman first. He realizes that the Signing bonus money he gives Dak can sit somewhere and earn interest for the next 4 months. Say the signing bonus is $60 million. At 5% interest that is $1 million of interest earned over the next 4 months on $60 million.

3) Probably hoping that Dak will back off a little on how much money he wants.

4) He would get prime media attention if this deal happens during training camp in the middle of preseason games. Fans are hyped for the new season to start and even the not so serious fans are geared back up getting ready to set their fantasy football rosters. It's all about getting the most attention for the buck with Jerry.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
A draft day trade is unlikely. They would most likely need to have the deal happen prior to the draft because Dak would have to agree to the trade and have a contract worked out with the new team. I still don't see them trading him. The Jones boys are always in reactive mode instead of proactive mode.

They will most likely extend him prior to the season/around training camp which will put this forum into an all out frenzy. The server will most likely crash on that day and be down for a week. Jerry has very little motivation to do the contract any sooner. Here are the reasons Jerry will most likely wait:

1) We don't currently need the CAP space because we aren't going after high priced free agents. We are $5.5 million under the CAP with another $9.5 million coming June 1st. Plenty of money to sign rookies and low cost free agents.

2) Jerry is a businessman first. He realizes that the Signing bonus money he gives Dak can sit somewhere and earn interest for the next 4 months. Say the signing bonus is $60 million. At 5% interest that is $1 million of interest earned over the next 4 months on $60 million.

3) Probably hoping that Dak will back off a little on how much money he wants.

4) He would get prime media attention if this deal happens during training camp in the middle of preseason games. Fans are hyped for the new season to start and even the not so serious fans are geared back up getting ready to set their fantasy football rosters. It's all about getting the most attention for the buck with Jerry.
5) Jerry has an ego big as Texas. And Jerry is butt hurt level Bravo after that playoff loss. And Dak is to blame.