PFT: Cowboys seem to be willing to let Dak Prescott hit the market in 2025

Big_D

Reaction score
They are going to try and keep that Super Bowl window open as long as possible

I think that shipped has sailed but we will see what they have left after they extend Dak.

This team will probabbly be pretty awful in another 2 or 3 years, if we extend Dak for another 5 years,

There was a window.. Jerry and his kid slammed it shut as usual.

jujoboys

Reaction score
2-5 playoff record.

Embarrassing loss.

Jerry humiliated on national TV.

Unlikely Jerry gives Dak anything.
I wouldn't place a bet on that. Jerry has proven over and over that he is capable of doing anything. We all thought McCarthy would be fired if he did not reach the NFC Championship game. His team gets totally blasted in the wildcard game at home with numerous quality coaches out there available to take his place and Jerry brings him back. McCarthy and Quinn were so outcoached in that GB game.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It actually looks like they will extend him.
Yeah, Florio always tries to start some junk. Although I would love to know how much Dak would get on the open market after next season. If the Cowboys win a playoff game and Dak plays well would he actually break the 60 million a season barrier at 32 years of age or what it he takes a step back, gets injured or misses the playoffs. No team would offer him the more than Cousins. If might be in Dak’s best interest to sign the extension.

jujoboys

Reaction score
5) Jerry has an ego big as Texas. And Jerry is butt hurt level Bravo after that playoff loss. And Dak is to blame.
A lot of people are still around that were at fault for that game. The first being Mike McCarthy. Dan Quinn's defense was probably the worst performing group that Sunday. Unlike some on here, I am glad Quinn is gone. Dak was awful but the whole team and the whole coaching staff was awful. It will be hard to find a playoff game where the team that was favored coached and played as bad as the Cowboys in that game. We should have starting cleaning house immediately after that game but Jerry caved like he did for almost a decade with Jason Garrett.

khiladi

Reaction score
200w.gif

khiladi

Reaction score
Love all the excuses about how everybody else sucked but Dak, when per the same guys during training camp were telling as the dead weight was gone and Dak was gonna take us to the promised land…. I remember that same hype train when we had Lamb, Gallup and Cooper on offense….

raven55

Reaction score
the choker is like a piece of steak choking you push it out before it ends your life > who ever over paYS TO Play for them is a sucker all his stats come at the expense of bad secondaries and bad teams in general the jones are moron's for extenting him in the first place and that's on them they deserve what they get LIKE A UNEXPECT LITTLE GIRL BY A N AIRLINE EMPLOYEE

fivetwos

Reaction score
A draft day trade is unlikely. They would most likely need to have the deal happen prior to the draft because Dak would have to agree to the trade and have a contract worked out with the new team. I still don't see them trading him. The Jones boys are always in reactive mode instead of proactive mode.

They will most likely extend him prior to the season/around training camp which will put this forum into an all out frenzy. The server will most likely crash on that day and be down for a week. Jerry has very little motivation to do the contract any sooner. Here are the reasons Jerry will most likely wait:

1) We don't currently need the CAP space because we aren't going after high priced free agents. We are $5.5 million under the CAP with another $9.5 million coming June 1st. Plenty of money to sign rookies and low cost free agents.

2) Jerry is a businessman first. He realizes that the Signing bonus money he gives Dak can sit somewhere and earn interest for the next 4 months. Say the signing bonus is $60 million. At 5% interest that is $1 million of interest earned over the next 4 months on $60 million.

3) Probably hoping that Dak will back off a little on how much money he wants.

4) He would get prime media attention if this deal happens during training camp in the middle of preseason games. Fans are hyped for the new season to start and even the not so serious fans are geared back up getting ready to set their fantasy football rosters. It's all about getting the most attention for the buck with Jerry.
If they didn’t extend him now to create cap room to improve, why do it during camp??

At that point they are going to have to pay him a top of the market deal anyway, so may as well wait and make him get through the season healthy.

I doubt they want to move on….Jerry just wants a deal this time and feels as if this is the way to go about it. He is banking on him not wanting to leave, and/or many of his endorsements being contingent on him being the Cowboys QB, not another team.

They should have either got it done already or just let him hit FA and compete. They will eventually cave and he isn’t going to pack up and leave if the money is equal.

All quite plausible.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
If they can pull off a draft day trade for Dak, I will cry tears of joy. It is most likely the best possible path forward if they can manage it.

Dare I say that Washington is a team that could be interested? The history with DQ + them really being a QB away from really making some noise makes me think that they would do it. Not to mention that back in 2019 word on the street was that they were interested in him if he managed to get to FA.
No way DQ ties his HC future to Dak. He wants to win a SB.

Kwyn

Reaction score
If they can pull off a draft day trade for Dak, I will cry tears of joy. It is most likely the best possible path forward if they can manage it.

Dare I say that Washington is a team that could be interested? The history with DQ + them really being a QB away from really making some noise makes me think that they would do it. Not to mention that back in 2019 word on the street was that they were interested in him if he managed to get to FA.
There aren’t really any trade partners.

Washington is undoubtedly drafting a QB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
a small part of me thinks a draft day trade - isn't out of the realm of possibility
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I can see them giving themselves a hard drop-dead deadline for the extension sometimes before the draft.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
It looks like they will have a good team as long as he is the qb. Getting rid of him would put that in danger. They want to stay good as long as possible.
I am tired of them being just a good team, aren't you?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
By opting for a modest kicking of the salary-cap can in 2024, the Cowboys embark on the last year of quarterback Dak Prescott’s contract at a cap number of $55.455 million. With no ability to tag him in 2025, and no apparent inclination to extend the deal now, the Cowboys seem to be willing to let him finish the contract and see what happens.

Full Article:
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ng-to-let-dak-prescott-hit-the-market-in-2025
this is obvious. https://cowboyszone.com/threads/the-plan-seems-to-be-clear-seemingly.523237/

they are rolling into 2024 with Dak not being on the team in 2025. 2024 is going to turn into a disaster. we lost a lot of players and haven't really added anyone of significance.
end of 2024 Jerry will do what he does. he knows people want Dak gone, he wasn't planning for it this year, and cap hit is too high to let him walk, and it would impact ticket sales. so he will make that move at the end of the year.
he will generate hope and people will come back in 2025 hoping for something.

not sure what his plan is for 2025 at QB as he didn't pick up Lance's option. perhaps 25M is too much, which I think is too much for an unproven QB. perhaps he thinks he can convince Lance to stay for one year. It will be interesting to see what we do in draft. perhaps take a flyer in late rounds on a QB? not sure if that makes sense. they may think we can find another "purdy". we have too many gaps for him to think QB early, with needs at DT, LB, WR, LT, Center, RB and depth at CB. we have too many holes to also draft another project so late in the draft.

if he is a post June 1st release it will dampen the cap hit in 2025.

on top of that McCarthy, Zimmer and other coaches are on one year prove it contract. so we will probably have new coaches, no QB and no plan as usual. shades of 2000.....which is not necessarily a bad thing if we end up with a top 10 pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I still believe they'll extend-

BUT, a small part of me thinks a draft day trade - isn't out of the realm of possibility
the cap hit is too much. we can't absorb it. and Dak was still top 5 in Jersey sales, so Jerry has that in mind as well.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They are going to try and keep that Super Bowl window open as long as possible

I think that shipped has sailed but we will see what they have left after they extend Dak.

This team will probabbly be pretty awful in another 2 or 3 years, if we extend Dak for another 5 years,
there is no superbowl window. its winning and getting into playoff window. cha ching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not that it matters that much but Daks dead cap figure is 40M next season, not more than 50M. I believe so, at least.
that's correct. would that be split in someway if he is a post June 1st cut? or is he outright FA?