News: PFT: Cowboys, TE Dalton Schultz Not Close To Long-Term Deal

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not playing for 5M. That's the tag for a PK/P.
a prorated signing bonus is the 5...in 2022, then maybe 3-5 mil bonus in 2023 and so on. His base can be 10 mil per. Jerry tends 2 spread the signing $ out over the life of the deal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MAybe the only hope is one of the pups or two show something. Right now CeeDee is looking at bracket coverage, and Schultz will see more attention. Wildcard is how they use Pollard, they need to use him in the 5-10 yards from the LOS as receiver from the backfield or out of the slot along with some runs. Hopefully Washington is as advertised if not better, and that Fohoko/Tolbert/Brown(ugh)/other WR can do something until Gallup gets back and rounds into form.
Agree, Pollard is indeed the wildcard. We MUST use him more.

Adreme

Reaction score
Who are the “dozen teams”? It’s easy to make an unsupported statement like that. It’s quite another to back it up.

When reports are made that a dozen teams are interested and Schefter tends to be correct on these things we can safely say that yes there is heavy interest in him. Just because he is viewed here as expandable does not mean that it is not the market rate. Teams want what Schultz can provide because providing a weapon who is a matchup problem is a big deal. The money he will make is the market rate for that because he will have bidders who will make that deal higher.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When reports are made that a dozen teams are interested and Schefter tends to be correct on these things we can safely say that yes there is heavy interest in him. Just because he is viewed here as expandable does not mean that it is not the market rate. Teams want what Schultz can provide because providing a weapon who is a matchup problem is a big deal. The money he will make is the market rate for that because he will have bidders who will make that deal higher.

You’ll have to show me this report.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That means we might be set ^ 4 a bad year then. I hate it. Its unfair ot the fans, players, and coaching staff. Its been 26 years and we have failed 2 sniff a SB ring. This kind of thinking by Jerry etc is why we been stuck in spin cycle so long, with nary any success.
I don't know why that means we would be set for a bad year. We might be, but I don't see this as the reason.

The reality is it's not possible to find and sign every player a team wants at the contract level it wants, so there will always be some players on short term deals and deals of varying lengths and costs.. That's not unfair to fans, that's just reality, and every team deals with it.

Lest someone think I'm suggesting Jerry is doing everything right, that's very far from the case. Like most people, I believe he is a poor excuse for a GM. But we do have to realize there are some things that are common issues in a league with a salary cap, and there aren't perfect solutions. It seems to me the tag was a very reasonable option for the Cowboys to take to cover the TE position his season.

Nickyd2208

Reaction score
He's probably going to play on the tag which I think is fine. His salary is 9th among TE's, he was 3rd in receptions, 6th in yards and tied for 5th in TDs amongst tight ends, only one behind the 4 leaders tied at 1. You guys seriously whine about everything.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's probably going to play on the tag which I think is fine. His salary is 9th among TE's, he was 3rd in receptions, 6th in yards and tied for 5th in TDs amongst tight ends, only one behind the 4 leaders tied at 1. You guys seriously whine about everything.
As you whine!!!!!

fivetwos

Reaction score
You’ll have to show me this report.
Yeah his agent probably said it lol.

I haven't seen one single report that the team is interested in engaging in long term deal talks, which gives me hope they won't screw this one up also.

Schultz' catch stats are much more about our QB than him. Not that I'm telling you anything that you dont already know on that one.

I really think fantasy football ruins people's takes on what wins NFL games. 78 catches are nice at a point each. Last I checked the city doesn't throw a parade for the offense with the most yards, or for running up the score on awful teams that have quit.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Yeah his agent probably said it lol.

I haven't seen one single report that the team is interested in engaging in long term deal talks, which gives me hope they won't screw this one up also.

Schultz' catch stats are much more about our QB than him. Not that I'm telling you anything that you dont already know on that one.

I really think fantasy football ruins people's takes on what wins NFL games. 78 catches are nice at a point each. Last I checked the city doesn't throw a parade for the offense with the most yards, or for running up the score on awful teams that have quit.
we don't even have a Bonafide starting #2 te to replace Jarwin either imo.

We don't have anybody but a bunch of warm bodies and a rookie

As deep as the tes were in fa we should have signed a veteran receiving TE by now.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We can't start McKeon or Sprinkle as the starting #2 te in that 12 personnel. Theyre just backups and designated blockers. Ha ha ha.

I'm not even counting on Ferguson to catch many balls all year if any.

If we could get Gronk for 12-15 million we may have a really good team. Cook we may be pretty Good.

I'd even take Jimmy Graham or Jesse James over McKeon and Sprinkle. Js

Our te core is gonna revert back to the 5-6 TD a year dumpster fire it's always been.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
How likely is Ferguson to take over the starter TE position in year 2?

Dunno.
Has to show enuff in development this summer, get on the playing field a lot in this reg season and perform enuff to have the team become more comfortable
with going with him as a future featured TE.

But i like that the Cowboys at least are trying to place another player, another TE into possible future plans.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We have two TEs.

Ferguson and Hendershot..so lets see how they play before whipping out the contract pen.