News: PFT: Cowboys, TE Dalton Schultz Not Close To Long-Term Deal

jrumann59

Reaction score
which is why the dude gets open and is valuable. He finds a way 2 get the ball and get open, he takes advantage of this. Are u saying a rookie will have the same effect? Thats expecting 2 much I think....at least year 1. I rather have 2 guys that can add some additional toughness at the line and run routes. We already lost 2 many pieces on offense 2 throw a veteran TE to the curb that has shown he can do a solid job. I think hes being under valued.
No but while I like Schultz as a player I do not think he is a top tier TE, that really is not a primary target. He is usually option 3 or 4. I just do not think he is worth the money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me ask ya a question. Would you rather pay out 15 mill on 1 player this year like Schultz on a tag, knowing your gonna let him walk in 2023..thus eating all the leftover cap surplus we have right now, or would ya rather lessen the hit by signing him and just paying out like 5 million now? So its paying 5 mil versus 15 fully guaranteed. Its simple math. If u guys have it the way u want it, your willing to wipe out our entire cap by letting him stay on the tag. I just think thats terrible business.
Schultz is not playing for 5M, it will take double that and your assumption is the brain trust will spend the savings accordingly on other players? Cap saved is not cap invested in better players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think that's what his agent thinks. He's watched this offense and with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup in it, no way the TE should be the #2 receiver on the team.

Elite doesn't matter because he plays for a guy that pays elite money for standard performance.

What the Joneses do not seem to grasp is that it isn't about comps at the position within the league; it is about what they are paying other players. That bit PIT in the butt after they paid the QB and WR and the RB wanted his money. After all, Bell led the league in contributing %to his offense, why wouldn't he want big bucks?

Schultz was barely behind the WR in catches and targets, he wants to get paid and I do not blame him. Don't want to pay the average TE above average money? Tell the OC and QB not to make him the 2nd targeted receiver on the team.
I hear ya but we cant afford to give the guy 15 mil fully guaranteed. That is a team killer. Wipes us clean out.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Let me ask ya a question. Would you rather pay out 15 mill on 1 player this year like Schultz on a tag, knowing your gonna let him walk in 2023..thus eating all the leftover cap surplus we have right now, or would ya rather lessen the hit by signing him and just paying out like 5 million now? So its paying 5 mil versus 15 fully guaranteed. Its simple math. If u guys have it the way u want it, your willing to wipe out our entire cap by letting him stay on the tag. I just think thats terrible business.
1st off the market says he will not get 5m a year. He will get closer to 15m AAV than 5m AAV, thank the patriots and the browns for that. I get what you are saying, I really like the player but there are so many pressing needs that a highly paid average to above average TE is not high on my list.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He’s gone. I’d be surprised if he does much this year. He’ll play it safe and go somewhere else next year. Personally I’d like Dallas to actually do something and make a trade.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear ya but we cant afford to give the guy 15 mil fully guaranteed. That is a team killer. Wipes us clean out.
Can't pay everybody, have to prioritize but they have to get better at player evaluations first.

If they were going to pay Gregory 15M, I can make a case that Schultz should get at least that. He was a hell of a lot better and more consistent at his position than Gregory was.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s gone. I’d be surprised if he does much this year. He’ll play it safe and go somewhere else next year. Personally I’d like Dallas to actually do something and make a trade.
They need to check with the QB first because that's his security blanket,

Rayman70

Reaction score
No but while I like Schultz as a player I do not think he is a top tier TE, that really is not a primary target. He is usually option 3 or 4. I just do not think he is worth the money.
True, but again...we are faced with an easy decision. Pay him a kings ransom fully guaranteed for 1 year by staying on the tag or extending & vastly lessening the cap damage,keeping the team viable if we want 2 sign another free agent we may need. We agree, he isnt special..but thats not the question. For example, lets say Tyron Smith cant suit up and play, misses games, wouldn't it be nice to sign a vet that can come in and help? If we let Schultz stay on the tag, its doubtful we can afford to do that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Can't pay everybody, have to prioritize but they have to get better at player evaluations first.

If they were going to pay Gregory 15M, I can make a case that Schultz should get at least that. He was a hell of a lot better and more consistent at his position than Gregory was.
I agree.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Now your talkin...a trade might be a solution with Schultz. I might be interested in that.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

The number when Schultz was tagged was 10.9 million. I could be wrong but I don't think it goes up just because other dudes sign bigger deals after the fact.

kevm3

Reaction score
sweet, so sitting around and waiting will force us to either pay another historically high contract or end up losing homegrown talent and force us to draft te high

baltcowboy

Reaction score
exactly. The Zeke deal is the issue, not D. Schultz. I say extend Schultz, saving tons of cap $, and next offseason cut bait with the terrible Zeke deal. The hit will be far less in dead $ and we can move forward, not hamstrung if we leave Schultz tagged THIS year and give him 15 mil. Its not popular on here, but paying him makes sense. Fans need 2 keep in mind that we want to employ a 2 tightend scheme going forward. I feel thats why we drafted Ferguson. We wanna be bigger and more physical/versatile. Having 2 tights that can both contribute and block makes sense. New England did this for many years. It works. It helps Dak and the running game as well.
:hammer:The Cowboys have no bad contracts. Signing Shultz to an extension now would be smart. He will have 80+ catches and 750+ yards. That top 10 tight end production.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Schultz is not playing for 5M, it will take double that and your assumption is the brain trust will spend the savings accordingly on other players? Cap saved is not cap invested in better players.
Sure he will. If we sign him, and the first year is like a 3 million deal with a 5 mill signing Bonus(8mil). We do that all the time. We luv the 5 year deals that are prorated. Schultz will have earned 8 mill in year 1 of this deal then. But 5 mill would only count against the cap NOW. Its a win win and Schultz is happy because he gets a pay raise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The number when Schultz was tagged was 10.9 million. I could be wrong but I don't think it goes up just because other dudes sign bigger deals after the fact.
Yeah, that's locked in once the league issues the tags before the off season kicks in.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure he will. If we sign him, and the first year is like a 3 million deal with a 5 mill signing Bonus(8mil). We do that all the time. We luv the 5 year deals that are prorated. Schultz will have earned 8 mill in year 1 of this deal then. But 5 mill would only count against the cap NOW. Its a win win and Schultz is happy because he gets a pay raise.
I think your definition of raise and Schultz's might be off. This second contract is the one they all play for and he picked a great time to have a good year.

We are all placing a value on him based on comps in the league, he's no Kelce or Andrews. But what is his value to this offense and QB?

They've got a year to see if Ferguson can step in for Schultz just like he did for Jarwin. If not, they will pay more for Schultz this off season or go shopping or to the draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
K then..lets round it ^ to like 12 mill. Still I cant see the team laying out the Lionshare of the remaining Cap money we have on a tightend. If Stevie does that and lets him stay on the tag, he needs to be run out on a rail. That 1 bad move hamstrings the team.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Insanity is letting a good but average player take all the cap money in 1 year. This idea is nuts. I fail to see the logic in this.