Signed by Cowboys PFT: Cowboys tender Ron'Dell Carter

chagus

Reaction score
So, what is his position? Are they going to play him at DE or bulk him up for DT?

Thought at first he was going to be a 3 tech but the team lists him at DE

I read in an interview that Carter left Rutgers to go to JMU because he was able to play at his natural playing weight and rush the passer. So, i dont think they are going to convert him to a DT.

Maybe potential to be a converted LB but i wouldnt put any stock in it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I read in an interview that Carter left Rutgers to go to JMU because he was able to play at his natural playing weight and rush the passer. So, i dont think they are going to convert him to a DT.

Maybe potential to be a converted LB but i wouldnt put any stock in it.
I'm sure he'll do whatever it takes to make it in the league.

stiletto

Reaction score
I said a long time ago he was the BEST player we got from JMU....I was right. LOL!

Knotamus

Reaction score
Carter is a long shot to make the team or to have any significant impact.. but he’s the exact type of player a team should make a small investment in with hopes that he could develop into a solid rotational piece or even starter.

Ron’dell is a bit of a DT/DE “tweener” due to his size (6’3” 269lbs), yet he has the work ethic that coaches covet and wish they could inject into their more physically “gifted” players.

His ceiling is prob as a rotational DE or possibly a perfect fit for the “Leo” position that Dan Quinn deploys (or more specifically, Seattle defense). If Ron’dell can utilize a full offseason and show some promise, he could be a diamond in the rough.. or atleast that’s what the Cowboys are hopeful for.

Bottomline, Ron’dell has the traits you look for in a DE/DT project. Can he overcome the odds is the question.

Side note: I’ve attached an article I found interesting that explains the Seattle defense and how the Leo position is evaluated.. if your interested. This article explains what to expect from Dan Quinn this year, as he’s mentioned and quoted
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/defense-101-understanding-how-the-seahawks-play/

“The Seahawks use a smaller defensive end who is primarily a pass rusher, a position the Seahawks call LEO.”

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys tender Ron'Dell Carter - ProFootballTalk

The Cowboys wanted undrafted free agent Ron'Dell Carter so badly last spring that they guaranteed him $145,000, including a $20,000 signing bonus. Now, the Cowboys are intent on keeping Carter. The team is tendering the defensive lineman as an exclusive rights free agent.

Read Full Story

The news is when they *don't* sign an ERFA. You have to really dislike a player to give up ERFA rights to him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ron’dell is a bit of a DT/DE “tweener” due to his size (6’3” 269lbs), yet he has the work ethic that coaches covet and wish they could inject into their more physically “gifted” players.

269 is definite DE to me. Not even close to DT. At that size, maybe you slide him into DT on clear pass rush downs, but that don't make him a DT.

plymkr

Reaction score
There was a time that I thought signing Dak long term would cause us to lose our own free agents. My face is red.

fivetwos

Reaction score
269 is definite DE to me. Not even close to DT. At that size, maybe you slide him into DT on clear pass rush downs, but that don't make him a DT.
Yep DE for sure.

Looking at him, there's no way anyone should think DT.

He would be pushed around badly and I think we've all seen enough of that.

jnday

Reaction score
Carter has some rush skills.

I was upset when Indy grabbed him.

Has some upside as a situational nickel rusher IMO.

But....like Anae, needs a chance.
I am beginning to think that playing these young players is not in MM plans. There are 3-4 of these rookies that should have played more snaps. The defense was horrible and I don’t see how it would have been a bad ideal to let these young guys get some experience and show the coaches what they are capable of.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

:laugh: Ron' Dell Brother!

Kid from James Madison and Rutgers I believe. He's a DE, 6'3 270 guy. But I gotta tell ya, I really never understood what the fascination with this guy was. He's a bull rusher, no moves. Not super, super strong. Not twitch quick off the ball, no wiggle or bend at all. I mean, I kinda just saw a guy but IDK, somebody saw something.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't fault him for his inexperience with the Colts, seeing as how he was a green rookie at the time. He should be given due time to experience more reps with the Cowboys before the 2021 season commences. Obviously, the Cowboys felt like he was worth the generous $145,000 bonus he was given when he arrived with them. If he doesn't measure up to what they expect, let's hope they don't keep him around any longer than necessary. Let's hope he'll be familiarized with some moves that may help his cause. We'll see if the added experience makes any difference. I wouldn't be too surprised if we drafted another candidate for DE, come what may.

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that playing these young players is not in MM plans. There are 3-4 of these rookies that should have played more snaps. The defense was horrible and I don’t see how it would have been a bad ideal to let these young guys get some experience and show the coaches what they are capable of.
Good point. You might be on to something. Maybe MM doesn't like playing rookies. After the Pittsburgh game I personally thought it was a no brainer to go with GG. Give GG some time and if we win then great and if we lose then better draft pick. Either way was a win win in my mind. Then MM played Dalton. I don't know about anyone else but I saw no benefit at all from playing Dalton after the Pittsburgh game. Dalton wasn't a long term answer and I don't feel he was the best short term answer. But maybe MM likes his vets and is shy when it comes to young guys.