News: PFT: Dak Prescott has a message for Dez Bryant; throw it better so he doesn't drop it

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Cancer? Some of you are letting your personal hatred for Dez get to you. No teammate has ever said that crap about Dez. In fact, he's a fantastic locker room guy according to Witten. A fairer critique of him is his approach towards the finer details of the game.

Mandatory meetings are optional for Bryant. Temper tantrums are regular for Bryant. He loafs on half his routes.

I don’t need to hear a teammate say he’s a cancer. Players like him set a bad precedent.

Zordon

Reaction score
His behavior Sunday when we were winning the game and playing well and had the ball at midfield was cancerous. Zeke and Dak and coaches all had to tend to his menstrual flow thus losing their main focus. We were WINNING THE GAME when he did this. Then they get him the ball and he immediately turns it over handing a dead Seattle team new life.

If Garrett was a man he should have not let Bryant see the field the rest of the game.

I've defended Dez quite a lot here, that was the last straw.

Whether we were winning the game or not is irrelevant to me, because it was a minimal lead (one possession game) and many many times over the course of Garrett's tenure all of us have expressed incredible frustration with the team/coaches for not going for the jugular early in games. I don't expect a player to temper his emotions b/c of a 3 pt lead that can disappear in a flash.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The Patriots would never bring Dez in. He would be there 4th receiver behind Gronk, Edleman, Cooks. The Saints just traded a malcontent, aging veteran and got better at rb. Maybe the Commanders will pick him up.
He would actually be number 1 or 2 on Patriots because the other receivers can't stay healthy

Staubacher

Reaction score
Whether we were winning the game or not is irrelevant to me, because it was a minimal lead (one possession game) and many many times over the course of Garrett's tenure all of us have expressed incredible frustration with the team/coaches for not going for the jugular early in games. I don't expect a player to temper his emotions b/c of a 3 pt lead that can disappear in a flash.
Please there was no excuse for his childish pouting. It distracted with the play on the field and the other guys.

Teams put up with divas when they produce. Dez immediately handed the ball to Seattle and give them life.

I'm really surprised you are defending him on this. He lost me.

Vero_F250

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it was a crossing route. Dez never runs five yard routes like that over the middle to find hole in the zone.

And that ‘momentum’ was at the 50 yard line if I remember and Dallas defense and RW actually broke coverage on a roll out to the left and ran it for a long gain. And the coverage on Graham was pretty bad

Hardly Dez’s fault and clearly can’t call it a ‘momentum’ change. The game was already ugly to begin with. Dak’s INT the very next drive turned it from really one FG away from lead to really a two score game.

And like I said, Maxwell made a good play while Dez was lowering his shoulder expecting contact. Maxwell didn’t even even go down and was standing straight up and punched.

I watched the game again. Seattle recovered the ball on the Dallas 43 yard. Yes RW did have a big gain that drive. Defense stood tall and forced Seattle to punt to punt the previous drive and on 1st down Dez fumbled...yes, well done by Maxwell. Norman uses that move as well. So instead of us having the ball and driving at our 43 they got it and took the lead. Watching the game it did appear to shift momentum. Seattle was suddenly energized and full of life and the Dallas offense seemed to sputter even more (if possible). With the lead Seattle began blitzing more and it was effective.

The 2nd INT. Dez ran to a spot and turned around. Could the ball have been better? Absolutely. But it wasn’t behind Dez, as he was still. It was to his left. He got both hands on it and it went right thru at shoulder level. He wasn’t moving, but standing still.

Still. I do agree this was a very ugly game by Dak and I am in no way blaming Dez for the loss. Team loss. The defense showed up as much as they could but the special teams (Bailey) and the offense just didn’t seem right and put our defense on the field too much too quick.

This was a bad game for most of our players.

khiladi

Reaction score
I watched the game again. Seattle recovered the ball on the Dallas 43 yard. Yes RW did have a big gain that drive. Defense stood tall and forced Seattle to punt to punt the previous drive and on 1st down Dez fumbled...yes, well done by Maxwell. Norman uses that move as well. So instead of us having the ball and driving at our 43 they got it and took the lead. Watching the game it did appear to shift momentum. Seattle was suddenly energized and full of life and the Dallas offense seemed to sputter even more (if possible). With the lead Seattle began blitzing more and it was effective.

The 2nd INT. Dez ran to a spot and turned around. Could the ball have been better? Absolutely. But it wasn’t behind Dez, as he was still. It was to his left. He got both hands on it and it went right thru at shoulder level. He wasn’t moving, but standing still.

Still. I do agree this was a very ugly game by Dak and I am in no way blaming Dez for the loss. Team loss. The defense showed up as much as they could but the special teams (Bailey) and the offense just didn’t seem right and put our defense on the field too much too quick.

This was a bad game for most of our players.

Again, momentum? Why do you not mention the very next pick 6? There was NO pressure on Dak on that play. At least in Dez’s case, Maxwell hit the ball. That INT was the very same pick 6 he thre against San Diego, except in this case the DB was behind Zeke and had no chance to make a play on the ball and Dak sailed it overhead. Against San Diego, it was a shotgun formation and spread with no back. In both cases, he has plenty of time. This ‘sailing overhead’ is a consistent flaw in Dak’s mechanics.

This isn’t momentum, but a flaw in Dak’s game that is being more exposed this year.

IMO, Dez turned around because the ball was thrown behind him. His momentum was carrying him forward so maybe he should have caught it, but again it was like the pick 6 that Dak threw to TWill against GB when he actually found a hole in the zone. Dak threw it behind TWIll when he turned and it hit him in his upper chest off the back shoulder. Yes, TWill should have probably caught that one, but it was an easy throw and Dak put it behind TWill.

In Dez’s case, if Dak throws it to Dez in stride he’s getting significant YAc.

The point is, these are tendencies of Dak that aren’t confined to one WR, but the whole lot of them. Even when throwing to WRs successfully, he is leaving yardage.

Zordon

Reaction score
Please there was no excuse for his childish pouting. It distracted with the play on the field and the other guys.

Teams put up with divas when they produce. Dez immediately handed the ball to Seattle and give them life.

I'm really surprised you are defending him on this. He lost me.
The only reason it seems like I'm defending Dez is because I am stunned how bad the QB play was this year so I share his frustrations. He has his issues but I put most of this season's offensive woes on Dak, Garrett, and the entire offensive staff.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
He would actually be number 1 or 2 on Patriots because the other receivers can't stay healthy
Dez can? He has been injured since he signed his contract extension. That is why he is struggling in my opinion. Be honest with yourself Bill would not get near any of are receivers.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dez can? He has been injured since he signed his contract extension. That is why he is struggling in my opinion. Be honest with yourself Bill would not get near any of are receivers.
Your delusional Dez would be a beast with a coach who know football

Vero_F250

Reaction score
Again, momentum? Why do you not mention the very next pick 6? There was NO pressure on Dak on that play. At least in Dez’s case, Maxwell hit the ball. That INT was the very same pick 6 he thre against San Diego, except in this case the DB was behind Zeke and had no chance to make a play on the ball and Dak sailed it overhead. Against San Diego, it was a shotgun formation and spread with no back. In both cases, he has plenty of time. This ‘sailing overhead’ is a consistent flaw in Dak’s mechanics.

This isn’t momentum, but a flaw in Dak’s game that is being more exposed this year.

IMO, Dez turned around because the ball was thrown behind him. His momentum was carrying him forward so maybe he should have caught it, but again it was like the pick 6 that Dak threw to TWill against GB when he actually found a hole in the zone. Dak threw it behind TWIll when he turned and it hit him in his upper chest off the back shoulder. Yes, TWill should have probably caught that one, but it was an easy throw and Dak put it behind TWill.

In Dez’s case, if Dak throws it to Dez in stride he’s getting significant YAc.

The point is, these are tendencies of Dak that aren’t confined to one WR, but the whole lot of them. Even when throwing to WRs successfully, he is leaving yardage.
Yes. Momentum can shift on a turnover. A missed FG. Blocked punt. Bad punt. Etc. Momentum shifted. And yes it clearly shifted further on the pick 6. I stated Dak played horribly. It was mentioned that the throw (pick 6) was awful, terrible etc. maybe you just missed it. And my last comment because this has been beaten to death. Please look at the 2nd pick. I’m on my phone or I would post the video for you. Dez does a slow curl. He runs 5 yards, curls and is standing (bouncing) and looking at Dak. He isn’t slanting. He isn’t shifting left or right. He is standing and waiting and almost bouncing back to Dak. (About half a yard). Again, Yes the ball could have been thrown better with it being such a short pass. It wasn’t and it hit Dez off to the side of his body in both hands. Faults on both parties on that play.

Edit: All 22 view of that pick 6 just made me throw up. Witten was wide open down field (20 yards...too far for Dak to throw I guess) and Beasley was open on the slant as well. No one in front of or to the right of Dak blocking his view of both players. Mind numbing awful decision from dak.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
I’ve seen Witten make some pretty nasty one handed catches to name a few. Also considering the amount of QBs Witten has gone thru and had to develop rapport with I would actually say in terms of catching there is definitely a comparison there...
Paid for the Love Me Some Witten Fund?.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The only reason it seems like I'm defending Dez is because I am stunned how bad the QB play was this year so I share his frustrations. He has his issues but I put most of this season's offensive woes on Dak, Garrett, and the entire offensive staff.
I agree it was a snowball effect.

Cmac

Reaction score
Nah. Just the Common Sense and I Watch Football Fund...
:thumbup:
Ok.....Go JWitten, please play until you're 40! I hope we can get someone to spell you minutes just as the Chargers have done regarding Antonio Gates.

Gameover

Reaction score
Dez since Week 12 has had 5, 7, 5, 4 and 6 targets per game. For a WR1 that consider themselves a star player.. that isn't enough and it has nothing to do with our running game. Take, for example, Brown (who is also on a team with a run first philosophy and excellent RB), who has been targeted 12,15,18, 3** in the same period. So Brown is getting roughly double the opportunities Dez is to make plays.. and that is on a team who also gives Bell 25-30 touches a game.

There is something very wrong with our offensive scheme, which we all know, and I don't think Dez should be throwing a tantrum (if that was in fact what he was doing.. which hasn't even been confirmed).. but far out I can understand his frustration.

I would hate to drill down into how many realistic chances he is getting per game.. as even with those limited targets most of them are realistically uncatchable or, to get him in the game, Dak checks down to him and then Dez is trying for the hero play. What a wasted season for Dez.. and especially in games like yesterday where he clearly had a mismatch.. and was getting free 40-50 yards down the field..!
Maybe he gets more looks because he gets open more

The most targets for a season was 159 in 2013. He caught 58% of his passes. The team attempted over 580 passes. Compare that w Irvin best 165 attempts and his team passed the ball 424 times. 67%. Bryant is not that reliable threat

Last edited: